Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Jester would seem to be on the money here. Cats are having a good look at what Bourkey might be able to offer more than anything else.

Spoke to Damian at the ground (and then at the airport on the way back) on Saturday.

His opinion is that the Suns are unlikely to make a huge play for Jordan as they're stocked up with tall kids already.

He believes that the Cats would probably be keen to pick up Jordan late on (a la Jed last year) and see how he goes from there.

Really hope this is how it works out. :thumbsu:

Sounds great. But cannot some other team use their second round pick to force us to use a second round pick ?

Sounds great. But cannot some other team use their second round pick to force us to use a second round pick ?

You're absolutely right, Bel. What Damian was getting at was that he's not convinced that Jordan is going to attract that much early attention in the draft.

If he does, it could get very interesting as I get the impression that Damian's not at all sure that the Cats would bid much more than a late pick for Jordan.

Time will tell...

I think there is a degree of feeling out behind the scenes. The club would get a feel what other clubs rate him as and whether they rate him at a similar level. Geelong would weigh that up be fore proceeding. At the pre trade FS bid process , Geelong would have decided his value and another club wants to go crazy then they may just have to use that pick and take Bourke with it

But as I said , it wouldn't surprise me that he ends up at neither Geelong or Gold Coast. GC have the rights to him and they can be traded. If Bourke likes Brisbane and they want him enough to trade with GC then he may be a Lion.

The Gold Coast don't have to sacriface a draft pick - they can simply prelist him as a zone player

But they have to sacrifice a list spot, and this is the year they have to reduce their list size by 4, plus clear a spot for OMeara, plus 3 draft picks, so I doubt they will have room for him.

Does anyone know how many games he played for the VFL, Cat fans? And how he went?

I only ask because he's played (I think) the past 3 weeks straight for our NEAFL side. I was under the impression he was going to stay down there for the rest of the year?

Geelong not keen on him? Or was he always just going to do 1-2 games?

Does anyone know how many games he played for the VFL, Cat fans? And how he went?

I only ask because he's played (I think) the past 3 weeks straight for our NEAFL side. I was under the impression he was going to stay down there for the rest of the year?

Geelong not keen on him? Or was he always just going to do 1-2 games?

He played 2, as our 23rd player.

There's a limit as to how many games you can play as the 23rd player as we've used a few guys in that role this year. I think 3 or 4 is the max.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he plays under 18's, so my guess is 17? A mate of mine umpires school footy and reckons he wasn't bad. Not top 10, but might be worth a shot.

A couple of years away is Jack Scarlett - article on him in the Geelong addy last year:

THERE will be more than one Scarlett running around for Geelong this weekend.
On the same weekend champion full back Matthew kicks off his season for the Cats, his 14-year-old step-brother, Jack, will make his debut for the Geelong Falcons' under-15s side in the under-15 V/Line Cup.
A speedster, Jack Scarlett is hoping this is the first step in him joining the family business in the AFL, which started with his father John, and continued with Matthew.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/03/27/316041_gfc.html

regarding Couchy's next son - this is all I could find, dated March 24 this year:

GEELONG
Last year: Premiers
Predicted finish: 5th
The story so far: Since winning the flag, the Cats have lost experienced players. Matthew Knights, however, has retained the bulk of its VFL list, which will maintain its competitiveness.
The X-factor: Joe Couch - the younger son of Brownlow medallist and club great Paul has joined the Cats VFL team in the hope of following in his father's footsteps.
Why they'll succeed: The best model of a stand-alone AFL club going around; every other AFL club wants to be like them.
Why we care: Andrew "Banjo" Banjanin gives the team a different tune to play with in the ruck. He's the fill-in ruckman when the AFL-listed ones don't show up.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...-the-clubs-20130323-2gn95.html?skin=text-only

He is a step brother, not half. The talk I've heard is this it could be an interesting test case for father son as he is not the the biological son of John.

He's definitely John's son (from his 2nd marriage) - so you're right that should technically read 'half-brother' - but whoever said journalists were masters of the english language? (well, apart from Sly - love his stuff!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back