Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Kelly (Jatz Crackers)
Then the rest - list is bit old so add 2 years.
Harry Taylor (son James, 3)
Steve Johnson (Archie, 1)
Corey Enright (Boh, 10 months)
Mackie (Freddie, six months).
Tom Harley (Jimmy, eight months, Hugo, ?)
Steven King (Oscar, 4)
Cameron Ling (Max, nine months)
Darren Milburn (Jett, 7)
Cameron Mooney (Jagger, 6)
Matthew Scarlett (twins Harry and Oliver, 2)
David Wojcinski (Alfie, 6, Monty, 3).
John Barnes (James, 18, Jack, 19)
Bill Brownless (Oscar, 14, Max, 8)
Ronnie Burns (Brayden, 16, Tylar, 15)
Paul Couch (Joe, 18)
Ben Graham (Jack, 5)
Garry Hocking (Lochlan, 13)
Glenn Kilpatrick (Peter, 13, William, 11)
Kent Kingsley (Boston, 1)
David Mensch (Baxter, 13)
Peter Riccardi (Oscar, 9, Boston, 6)
Brad Sholl (Mitchell, 10, Campbell, 8)
Sean Simpson (Sam, 13).

Buddha Jr is now 15 (13 then?)

s**t!

I remember when him, his missus and their children were in the Footy Record in 2001.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Buddha Jr is now 15 (13 then?)

s**t!

I remember when him, his missus and their children were in the Footy Record in 2001.
Don't we all! Seems like just yesterday I was getting to the G at 6am to get a good seat for the Granny... it was 1995...:oops:

Id hope not. Its the one thing that makes our game unique. I'm sick of the constant sanitization and the constant need to make the game more like other sports.
The need to americanise the game is sad. Leave our great game alone and only improve on the aspects that are fundamentally flawed.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
The need to americanise the game is sad. Leave our great game alone and only improve on the aspects that are fundamentally flawed.
Father son is romantic. It's another aspect of unevenness in the game.
At least they now force biding, it makes it a touch more fair. A touch.

Father son is romantic. It's another aspect of unevenness in the game.
At least they now force biding, it makes it a touch more fair. A touch.
How is it uneven? 16 clubs have access to FS players and the two that don't have an academy. It's just as random as a draft pick. No certainty it will come off. The bidding process removes the highway robbery possibility as well. It's a good system for a good feature of our game.

One of the few aspects of football I hope stays and not because we've had a good run at it.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
I'm not sure we've had a good run. Just a few were guns.
It's an uneven system.

Gws and gc won't have access for 20 years.
Port and and the crows are only entering the window now.

Like I said, the bidding has helped even it out.
Think Libba and Wallis was fair? No way.

No. port, crows have access to FS from certain affiliated SANFL clubs. You'd have to ask someone from those boards what clubs though. Pretty sure the same deal still applies to freo.

Now it's only 1 per season. So you won't see two players go to their daddies club. Now must choose. Now there's a bidding system. No one else wants the player (Bews) you get him for peanuts.

I like that Moore is at Collingwood. Daniher at Essendon. Etc. etc.

Then there's Kelly at Adelaide who didn't go to his fathers club. Ditto Marc Murphy.

So I don't understand what's so inherently unfair about it. The two clubs who can't get FS are adequately compensated with an academy which also has a bidding system to make it fair.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
I never said unfair. I said uneven.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Correct a lottery. Pure luck.

You finish 1st, you have a FS who should go #1 and you get him for peanuts.
Lucky the system didn't change before 06 huh?

Would mean no Selwood. I'm off.

They are synonymous - quite literally.
The old system pre changes I understand that argument. That was unfair/uneven. This much less so.

If the only qualm is that a team can win the flag and get a #1 player for #18. Oh well that's a small chance to happen let alone regularly and isn't compelling enough for mine to abolish what overall is a good aspect of the game.

Yes Heeney was robbery for Sydney (not FS I know and the appropriateness of Syd having academy is another argument entirely) but many though Viney should have gone higher. No one bid early on and Melb got him in the 20's iirc. That's fair. Someone had of bid earlier and iirc they would have had to overlook Toumpas in favour of Viney.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
No. port, crows have access to FS from certain affiliated SANFL clubs. You'd have to ask someone from those boards what clubs though. Pretty sure the same deal still applies to freo.

Now it's only 1 per season. So you won't see two players go to their daddies club. Now must choose. Now there's a bidding system. No one else wants the player (Bews) you get him for peanuts.

I like that Moore is at Collingwood. Daniher at Essendon. Etc. etc.

Then there's Kelly at Adelaide who didn't go to his fathers club. Ditto Marc Murphy.

So I don't understand what's so inherently unfair about it. The two clubs who can't get FS are adequately compensated with an academy which also has a bidding system to make it fair.
Don't Swans have both an Academy PLUS Father/Sons?

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
The old system pre changes I understand that argument. That was unfair/uneven. This much less so.

If the only qualm is that a team can win the flag and get a #1 player for #18. Oh well that's a small chance to happen let alone regularly and isn't compelling enough for mine to abolish what overall is a good aspect of the game.

Yes Heeney was robbery for Sydney (not FS I know and the appropriateness of Syd having academy is another argument entirely) but many though Viney should have gone higher. No one bid early on and Melb got him in the 20's iirc. That's fair. Someone had of bid earlier and iirc they would have had to overlook Toumpas in favour of Viney.

apparently the Swans are in line for another top pick via their academy next season as well :)
Hence the scramble to fix the bidding system.

Correct a lottery. Pure luck.

You finish 1st, you have a FS who should go #1 and you get him for peanuts.
Lucky the system didn't change before 06 huh?

Would mean no Selwood. I'm off.
Yeah but if he is the number 1 kid and you have the number 1 pick you get him anyway, so you don't lose out on anything.

Plus if you were smart, you would trade your number 1 pick for a late first round pick and a pick upgrade or player. Then grab the number 1 you have linked with you at a cheap pick

Yeah but if he is the number 1 kid and you have the number 1 pick you get him anyway, so you don't lose out on anything.

Plus if you were smart, you would trade your number 1 pick for a late first round pick and a pick upgrade or player. Then grab the number 1 you have linked with you at a cheap pick
The way I understand it being exploited could be let's say Buddha Jr. is a touted no1 pick and we finish last so get that number 1. We wouldn't have to take him with 1 as no one can bid lower than 1 so we're not obligated to use that pick. if a club bids pick two we'd have to use our next pick in the line which could be early 20's. Thus getting a no1 pick for peanuts. Similar to Heeney at Sydney.

Also the AFL has made the bidding process before the trade period so clubs can't manipulate what pick they'd have to use.

Don't Swans have both an Academy PLUS Father/Sons?
Don't buy into the McGuire hype of the academies, Swans, Giants, Suns and Lions spend millions developing players in NSW and QLD but at no time are we going to see a draft by one of those 4 teams just of academy players so the other 14 teams have access to players who those 4 sides have spent considerable coin developing

The way I understand it being exploited could be let's say Buddha Jr. is a touted no1 pick and we finish last so get that number 1. We wouldn't have to take him with 1 as no one can bid lower than 1 so we're not obligated to use that pick. if a club bids pick two we'd have to use our next pick in the line which could be early 20's. Thus getting a no1 pick for peanuts. Similar to Heeney at Sydney.

Also the AFL has made the bidding process before the trade period so clubs can't manipulate what pick they'd have to use.
I thought it was bid on with what round pick you'd use. So if someone bids their first round pick then you need to use yours to get the player... so you can change your pick numbers around by trade is still an option.

Of course I could be completely wrong as I haven't actually researched it at all

Back