Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

For younger posters I believe the picture above is Shaun Burgoyne saving the final against the Saints in 2004, ex-Port player Brent Guerra being swept from the ball in front of their goals. Both to become Premiership players for Hawthorn.

Its a disgrace we didnt stick him in our original squad. we could have use our zone selection picks or anyone of our 7 or 8 picks we had before North ltook him with pick #67.
John Rohmbotis over Byron Picket... tisk

Its a disgrace we didnt stick him in our original squad. we could have use our zone selection picks or anyone of our 7 or 8 picks we had before North ltook him with pick #67.

It's not a disgrace. It's probably more a case of knowing a bit too much about a player. If you've read the North recruiting officer's story about recruiting Byron you get the impression he hung out with a bit of a wild crowd as a young un. It was probably the best thing for his development that he moved away from Adelaide and lived in Melbourne broke those connections and matured some more.

Everyone at Port knew how good he was as a junior. Senior players would go to u19s games to watch him play (they were keeping count of the number of broken collarbones he was handing out with his bumping). So clearly other factors influenced Port's decision.

Went to Alberton tonight to watch my nephew play. He was playing for Centrals u/13s. Saw Peter Burgoyne there and later found out his lad was playing for the Maggies. I didnt think I was taking a huge assumption in picking his boy as the young fella wearing #7 and looking like a good young player. One of the better players for Port I thought.

Ethan Haylock was emergency for the U/18 NAB Championship game today vs Vic Country.
He's recently been doing well in the SANFL. Watch this space. No talk of us watching him but I'm sure we are behind closed doors.

John Rohmbotis over Byron Picket... tisk
I asked one of the other Pt. Lincoln clubs Port talent spotter , if he could tell early on that Peter , Shaun , Choppy , Stiffy etc etc we're going to be good players , he said no , only Choppy , .... I'm with you , how we didn't pick him I'll never know .
At least we had him for a while , and he topped off our side beautifully in our glory years .
Was he ever good to watch ?
Would his sons qualify for us ?

I reckon Shaun's 28 goals in a game for Mallee Park as a junior might have been a good pointer to the future.

It's not a disgrace. It's probably more a case of knowing a bit too much about a player. If you've read the North recruiting officer's story about recruiting Byron you get the impression he hung out with a bit of a wild crowd as a young un. It was probably the best thing for his development that he moved away from Adelaide and lived in Melbourne broke those connections and matured some more.

Everyone at Port knew how good he was as a junior. Senior players would go to u19s games to watch him play (they were keeping count of the number of broken collarbones he was handing out with his bumping). So clearly other factors influenced Port's decision.

I hear what you are saying, but that still doesn't answer the question as to why we chose a bloke that choppy kicked 6 goals on only weeks before the draft was held, and then delisted him after only one season on the list.

I hear what you are saying, but that still doesn't answer the question as to why we chose a bloke that choppy kicked 6 goals on only weeks before the draft was held, and then delisted him after only one season on the list.

I never said Alan Stewart's ability to judge talent wasn't overrated. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I asked one of the other Pt. Lincoln clubs Port talent spotter , if he could tell early on that Peter , Shaun , Choppy , Stiffy etc etc we're going to be good players , he said no , only Choppy , .... I'm with you , how we didn't pick him I'll never know .
At least we had him for a while , and he topped off our side beautifully in our glory years .
Was he ever good to watch ?
Would his sons qualify for us ?

Choppy only played 55 games for the Power so no.

It definitely happens , certain people give reports on the kids like , do they smoke / drink etc. ?, do they come from a good family ? Etc.
there was a kid in the u/19s with Choppy , the two of them went on a joy ride , smashed up the car and Ralph Burgoyne received head injuries and never played again so that May have had something to do with Byron not getting picked initially

Tex choosing to play for Essendon has never made any sense to me.

Ky Burgoyne on the other hand seems lost forever which is a travesty given his grandfather.

Tex choosing to play for Essendon has never made any sense to me.

Ky Burgoyne on the other hand seems lost forever which is a travesty given his grandfather.

Is that Shaun's lad ?

I recall Shaun on TV saying that his son's favourite team is "the chickens" - because that's what the Hawks logo looks like to him.

Had to laugh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back