Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

Greg spat the dummy big time when he didn't get a coaching gig.

Case of sour grapes and encouraged Shaun to go to Hawthorn, very sad.

So what you're saying is, that if attitudes are genetic, Shaun's kids will be petulant and soft as butter when the going gets tough.

Pass.

Well given mum is a doctor and Michael is a physio, they have all bases covered.
Wilber did one of his final placements at my work a few years back, think he would've been sick of my puppy dog eyes by the end of the 4 weeks. Didn't know mum was a Dr so that would make it a well stocked first aid kit with "borrowed" supplies.

yeah i think the story goes is they looked at how many eligible fathers there were for vic teams , then worked out to get x amount of eligible father/sons it would be roughly 200 games played (pre-1997 , so it didnt matter if in 2004 we wanted to draft the son of a 300 gamer if he reached the 300 game mark the year before , and only had 199 games as of 1997 he would be ineligible). they worked that out counting cup/exhibition games etc. then later they decided these games dont count , thereby greatly reducing our base of eligible father sons to be much less than the victorian counterparts.

He regularly works behind the bar down at The Port Club while wearing a Power polo, so...

Also has a daughter working at the Allan Scott HQ.

Agree with Powerstuff, Mead's lads should be shortlisted. Have seen more of the 12 yo,he looks classy already.

We need to somehow get our new fwds coach to qualify. His 3 lads already look good. Will be a dam shame to see them turn into licorice allsorts

Captain of a flag winning side. League B&F in his grade. Rep footy for SA in Darwin.

Yup. He is already on the road. But when you watch him play, you can see his quality in his movement. Minor criticism but he Needs to get a tad more involved in the game. Altho last year thatbwasnt an issue for him.

I forgot Tim Ginever (314 SANFL games according to one source).
I don't know how many sons he has but I saw one play in a winning U16 GF in 2013 and he was bloody good. A mobile defender with a good footy brain.

The Father-Son Rule

FOR every nominated father-son player, each club in the competition has the option to bid for the player, in reverse ladder order. If a bid is made, the club that nominated the father-son player must use its next available selection if it wishes to retain its hold on that player.

If the club nominating the father-son player declines to match the selection nominated, the club with the successful bid must use that selection at the draft on that player.

Any club that makes a successful bid on a father-son selection is bound to use the pick they nominate.

If no bid is made by another club, the club that nominated the father-son eligible player will forfeit its last selection in the draft to select the player.

The eligibility of players under the father-son rules differs depending upon the home state of the team making the selection. The basic rule, as applied to Victorian clubs, is that each club can select any player whose father played a minimum of 100 senior games for the side.

Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans can choose the sons of players who have appeared 100 times for either themselves or their predecessors, Fitzroy and the Brisbane Bears or the South Melbourne Football Club respectively.

West Australian and South Australian teams have modified rules in place, valid until the club has been in the AFL for 20 years, with eligibility to be determined by a certain number of games played for specific sides in state league:

Until October 31, 2007, West Coast can select any player whose father has made 150 WAFL appearances for Claremont, East Perth, West Perth or Subiaco.

Until October 31, 2010, Adelaide can select any player whose father played 200 SANFL appearances before 1990 for South Adelaide, Norwood, Glenelg or Sturt.

Until October 31, 2015, Fremantle may include any player whose father made 150 WAFL appearances for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts.

Until October 31, 2017, Port Adelaide may include any player whose father has made 200 SANFL appearances for Port Adelaide Magpies, North Adelaide, West Adelaide, Central District, Woodville or West Torrens

I don't know where you got this s**t from, which keeps coming up all the time, but the 20 year sunset clause is gone after this board found in 2006, that Brett Ebert wasn't eligible for father son using the 20 year eligibility period and Ross Gibbs didn't play 200 games in the eligibility period. We took the discussion over to the Adelaide Board, Rucci picked it up asked questions and the mistake officially recognized.

So the 2007 father son rule change scrapped the incorrect 1 year handicap Adelaide had and the 20 year eligibility period for the father and the 20 year sunset clause to draft the son.

From the 2013 Player Rules the WA and SA clubs component only - there is no 20 year clause anymore - hasn't been since 2007.

4.2 Father/Son Rule
4.2.1 Players Eligible – All Clubs
Subject to Rule 4.2.4, a Club may include a person on its Primary List if the person’s father played 100 or more Senior Matches (being either Home and Away or Finals Series Matches) with the Club.

4.2.2 Western Australian and South Australian Based Clubs
In addition to the rights conveyed under Rule 4.2.1;

(a) The West Coast Eagles Football Club may include a person on its Primary List if that person’s father played 150 Senior Matches (being either home and away or finals series matches) at one of the following clubs prior to, but not including, 1987:
(i) Claremont Football Club;
(ii) East Perth Football Club;
(iii) West Perth Football Club; or
(iv) Subiaco Football Club.

(b) The Fremantle Football Club may include a person on its Primary List if that person’s father played 150 or more Senior Matches (being either home and away or finals series matches) at one of the following clubs prior to, but not including, 1995:
(i) South Fremantle Football Club;
(ii) East Fremantle Football Club;
(iii) Perth Football Club; or
(iv) Swan Districts Football Club.

(c) The Adelaide Football Club may include a person on its Primary List if that person’s father played 200 or more Senior Matches (being either home and away or finals series matches) at one of the following clubs prior to but not including, 1991:
(i) Norwood Football Club;
(ii) Glenelg Football Club;
(iii) Sturt Football Club; or
(iv) South Adelaide Football Club.

(d) The Port Adelaide Football Club may include a person on its Primary List if that person’s father played 200 or more Senior Matches (being either home and away or finals series matches) at one of the following clubs prior to, but not including, 1997:
(i) Port Magpies Football Club;
(ii) Woodville Football Club;
(iii) West Torrens Football Club;
(iv) North Adelaide Football Club;
(iv) Central Districts Football Club; or
(v) West Adelaide Football Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Powerstuff, Mead's lads should be shortlisted. Have seen more of the 12 yo,he looks classy already.

We need to somehow get our new fwds coach to qualify. His 3 lads already look good. Will be a dam shame to see them turn into licorice allsorts
Also very good Tennis players. Very good!

I forgot Tim Ginever (314 SANFL games according to one source).
I don't know how many sons he has but I saw one play in a winning U16 GF in 2013 and he was bloody good. A mobile defender with a good footy brain.

Darcy i think. Sweet left foot mover. And surprisingly, a nice height but it has been a year since i saw him so hopefully he has continued growing.

Darcy i think. Sweet left foot mover. And surprisingly, a nice height but it has been a year since i saw him so hopefully he has continued growing.
Yeah I left out the first name on purpose, I'm a little reluctant to ID any of the kids I've seen more than I have to. But I guess Darcy will be 16 this year and if he is eventually looking at playing professionally his name will be being splashed around in rep footy in the next couple of years. Not super tall (yet) but good in the air.

Yeah I left out the first name on purpose, I'm a little reluctant to ID any of the kids I've seen more than I have to. But I guess Darcy will be 16 this year and if he is eventually looking at playing professionally his name will be being splashed around in rep footy in the next couple of years. Not super tall (yet) but good in the air.

Does he have 'The Chin'?

Does he have 'The Chin'?
A fair question but I didn't really think so. Mind you none of the kids of well known players I've seen look hugely like their dads. Yet many of them seem to have greater ability than the general pool of kids playing junior footy. I have nowhere to go with that, if you have been involved in junior footy you know some kids stand out even when they turn up for Auskick. It's not just kicking in the backyard that makes the difference. I guess the fact that a lot of these footballers marry women who have their own sporting background may be the key.

Just need a bit of clarity here, does a player who is eligible for two clubs under the father-son rule still get to choose or is it just simply who can offer the highest pick in the draft? It could turn into a real bidding war for Tex Wanganeen. I would hope he'd do the right thing and choose us.

I rekon, assuming Peter's kids are any good and drafted to the club, Shaun's kids will want to play with their cousins, at their dad and granddads club.
Tex is interesting, obviously Ess are trying to convert him already to play for him. Is Gav still involved with Port or Ess in anyway? Im guessing they are living in Vic now?

Could you imagine, in 15yrs... Lade to Burgoyne who kicks down to Tredders on the lead, with Wangas cleaning up the spill and kicks a goal! :D :D :D

Just need a bit of clarity here, does a player who is eligible for two clubs under the father-son rule still get to choose or is it just simply who can offer the highest pick in the draft? It could turn into a real bidding war for Tex Wanganeen. I would hope he'd do the right thing and choose us.

Pretty sure the kid gets to choose. Happened with Joe Daniher, he nominated Essendon over Sydney and Sydney were out of the race.
And I haven't heard anything that this has changed.

Pretty sure the kid gets to choose. Happened with Joe Daniher, he nominated Essendon over Sydney and Sydney were out of the race.
And I haven't heard anything that this has changed.
Well that's not really a good sign for us in regards to Tex. If he is already with Essendon (and presumably living in Melbourne) then there is a good chance he'll elect Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back