Power all time best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know what you mean but I'll bite and say it devalues the memory of how good he was at his best when people keep focussing on the bumps. It's Dave Granger all over again.

I remember him taking the game on with running, bouncing and goals in the 2004 GF

and that marking challenge where his legs were taken from underneath him by CScott(?) in the centre square

what a day out for pickett and port!

I know what you mean but I'll bite and say it devalues the memory of how good he was at his best when people keep focussing on the bumps. It's Dave Granger all over again.
Mate I agree entirely: I was actually having a go at the stupid tribunal, rather than Pickett himself. If Tom Jonas could cop 3 weeks for what was a perfect bump, how would Choppy have fared these days?

PAFC 1997-Pres

B: G. Wanganeen ~ D. Wakelin ~ M. Wilson
HB: B. Montgomery ~ J. Trengove ~ B. Pickett
C: C. Cornes ~ S. Burgoyne ~ K. Cornes
HF: R. Gray ~ W. Tredrea ~ S. Dew
F: J. Westhoff ~ J. Schulz ~ C. Wingard
R: B. Lade ~ T. Boak ~ P. Burgoyne
I: M. Primus, J. Francou, R. James, A. Kingsley

PAFC 1870-Pres

B: G. Wanganeen ~ J. Abley ~ R. Russell
HB: G. Motley ~ G. Phillips ~ N. Hayes
C: C. Bradley ~ R. Ebert ~ C. Cornes
HF: R. Gray ~ W. Tredrea ~ C. Wingard
F: T. Evans ~ S. Hodges ~ F. Williams
R: B. Lade ~ T. Boak ~ B. Quinn
I: M. Primus, J. Cahill, N. Buckley, M. Wilson

My Since 1870 team changes a little bit each time I do it. This time I put far more weight into achievement at Port Adelaide - regardless of perceived standard. Ergo, Dick Russell and his three best and fairests in four years trumps Michael Wilson's gladiatorial efforts for both the Magpies and later the Power at the undisputed highest level of the game.

For the first time I've included Nathan Buckley, solely for the fact that his 1992 season is arguably the greatest individual year a Port Adelaide player has ever had, marginally ahead of Hodges' 1990, which in turn gives him the FF slot over the more prolific Tim Evans.

What a club.

Pretty much this.

IMO... in the 1997- side, by the end of their journeys, Hartlett into the 22 for Picket and Wines in for either Kingsley (or Kane). So with those changes

Emergencies: (1997-): Pickett, Kingsley, Mead.

I also think Wines will eventually earn an Emergency spot in the all-time side.

Emergencies (all time): H Oliver, Wines, and TBA.

Oliver seems the universal choice for our 'greatest player' pre-WWII.

TBA is "That Bloke... Anyone??". ;)

It's a good case you make for Bradley and Buckley: all-time elite level achievements at Port (even if a fraction of their career) and after Port. By that standard the likes of McLeod and Shaun Burgoyne don't make the cut for our all-time side sadly. Bloody hell, JB, Andrew McLeod, Buckley, Bradley, Gav. The last four "all time greatest" players of the AFL era. What could have been out of a better 1990.

Spent about 2 minutes putting this together

Russell ... Abley ... Hannaford

Motley ... Hosking ... Hayes

J. Cahill ... R. Ebert ... Boyd

Bradley ... W. Tredrea ... Wanganeen

Potter ... Evans ... Hodges

Primus ... Oliver ... R. Quinn

F. Williams ... Dayman ... Clifford ... G. Phillips

think he might be just including his Port AFL career which was only an Ansett Cup game against Freo

That's obvious, but it wasn't his fault he was broken down by then.

Should never be included in any such lineups, even as a zero-gamer.

B : Wangas Wakes Wilson
HB: S Burger Mead Feigert
C : S Bond Lyle Francis
HF: P Burger Tredrea Pickett
FF: CCollins Hodges Brett Ebert
Foll: Pooley Brad Ebert Browny
Int : Carter, Tommy Carr, Chalmers, Poulton.
Coach : J Cahill.
Not quite the best side but has a good feel about it.

That's obvious, but it wasn't his fault he was broken down by then.

Should never be included in any such lineups, even as a zero-gamer.

Neither should a lot of the others he listed. Ant Sheehan for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Special mention for Greg Anderson for his time with the Maggies 83-87.....Magary Medallist and All Australian when, arguably, the SANFL and VFL were comparably even (especially the top end talent).

I'm trying to sleep.

Port AFL all time coaching team
Senior coach: Hinkley
Senior assistant/Director: Richo
Forwards: Clarkson
Midfield1: Choco
Midfield2: Walsh
Backs: Bailey
Development1: Nicks
Development2: Hocking

The worst of lists are cruel but remind you of the names of players that were on the list and disappeared without a trace. I would say sunk but some of them were always submerged.

Names like Darren Burton, Jordan Barham, Nick Jackman, Scott Borlace, Salim Hassan, Adam Grocke, Dale Ellis, Alex Lee, Daniel Boyle .... we pore over the rookie drafts, look for the potential in these players, imagine they could be the diamond everyone else has overlooked and hope against hope they will be the surprise packet, the next big things. And mostly they're a forgotten footnote in the history of the club.

Scott Harding

That was the defining recruit that proved Choco had lost whatever he had that could be considered 'it'.

He steadfastly refused to play the likes of Adam Thomson (1st round pick) and Nick Lower (2nd round pick) but brought in and gave games to a crab like Harding who had spent 5 years in the system barely averaging 10 touches at a mediocre Brisbane.

All you can do is laugh.

That was the defining recruit that proved Choco had lost whatever he had that could be considered 'it'.

He steadfastly refused to play the likes of Adam Thomson (1st round pick) and Nick Lower (2nd round pick) but brought in and gave games to a crab like Harding who had spent 5 years in the system barely averaging 10 touches at a mediocre Brisbane.

All you can do is laugh.

Hahahahahahahaha...............nope, doesnt make me feel any better. Thx for nothing Tribes :p:D

B: Scott Freeborn, Luke Ottens, Justin Hoskin
HB: Nathan Batsanis, Joel Patfull, Rob Forster-Knight
C: Salim Hassan, Wade Chapman, Ben Hollands
HF: Darren Fraser, Adam Grocke, Scott Hahn
F: Rhett Biglands, Scott Hodges, Scott Borlace
R: Jon Giles, Mark McKenzie, Andrew Osborn
Int: Barry Brooks, Jason Dylan, Dale Ellis, Antony Sheehan.
I get it... it is one of those games of 'One of these things is not like the others'. Cool.

All you can do is laugh.

I was not laughing at the time :/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back