Power Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

• Banned
2013-14 POWER RANKINGS: SEPTEMBER 12
RANK (PV) CLUB W-D-L COMMENT
1 (N/A) Real Madrid 3-0-0 Valued by Forbes as the world's richest club, Real Madrid continue to break records with their transfers after signing Gareth Bale from Spurs for £100 million. They have started La Liga with a 100% record, and have yet to hit top form.
2 (N/A) Bayern Munich 3-1-0 The reigning European champions might have made few significant signings but with Pep Guardiola replacing Jupp Heynckes they look good for some time to come. Lifted the Super Cup after beating Chelsea on penalties and lie second in the Bundesliga.
3 (N/A) Chelsea 2-1-0 Jose Mourinho is back at the helm and the late window acquisitions of Willian and Samuel Eto'o have ensured that Chelsea will be a force to be reckoned with this season. Unbeaten in the Premier League so far, only Liverpool have collected more points.
4 (N/A) Juventus 2-0-0 New signing Carlos Tevez should ensure Juventus stay head and shoulders above the rest in Italy. I saw them in the Supercoppa when they annihilated Lazio 4-0, and they have started the Serie A season with two wins from two.
5 (N/A) Barcelona 3-0-0 With arguably two of the world's best players in Lionel Messi and new signing Neymar, Barca will again be the team which many aspire to be. But Tata Martino brings uncertainty to the situation and failing to strengthen in defence could come back to haunt.
6 (N/A) Manchester City 2-0-1 City sit third in the Premier League, which still constitutes a good start to the season despite the defeat at Cardiff. After a great summer in the transfer market, they look well-equipped for success at home and should end their Champions League hoodoo.
7 (N/A) Manchester United 1-1-1 Still one of the biggest clubs in the world, but with David Moyes replacing Sir Alex Ferguson there are doubts about how successful they will be. United missed out on a number of key signings and have failed to score in their last two matches.
8 (N/A) Paris Saint-Germain 2-2-0 Big-spending Paris Saint-Germain have made a great signing in Edinson Cavani and have impressively kept hold of Thiago Silva and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. They pushed Barcelona close in the Champions League last season but have stuttered early in Ligue 1.
9 (N/A) Liverpool 3-0-0 After a great start to the Premier League campaign, Liverpool look capable of regaining their status as one of England's premier clubs. Despite a difficult summer dealing with the future of Luis Suarez, Brendan Rodgers has guided the club to the top spot.
10 (N/A) Borussia Dortmund 4-0-0 Beaten to the Bundesliga and the Champions League titles by Bayern, Dortmund have kept the services of Robert Lewandowski, though Henrikh Mkhitaryan is the only major addition. But they have started the league season in perfect fashion.

• Banned
2013-14 POWER RANKINGS: SEPTEMBER 19
RANK (PV) CLUB W-D-L COMMENT
1 (2) Bayern Munich 4-1-0 The reigning European Champions were on song this week, bagging clean-sheet wins against Hannover and CSKA Moscow. The treble holders left me no choice but to put them at the top of my Power Rankings this week.
2 (5) Barcelona 4-0-0 A controversial win over Sevilla? Yes. Dodgy at the back as my colleague Steve Nicol likes to point out from time to time? You bet. But as long as they have that little man who continues to be the difference, it's hard to argue against them.
3 (N/A) Atletico Madrid 4-0-0 Under Diego Simeone, they continue to exceed all expectations. They've played seven games this season, winning five, losing none, and drawing twice... to Barcelona in the Spanish Super Cup.
4 (N/A) Napoli 3-0-0 Rafa Benitez stated they had no one to fear in the Champions League, and on the back of Wednesday's performance against last year's finalists Dortmund, he's absolutely correct. They've played four, won them all, and I wouldn't bet against them.
5 (1) Real Madrid 3-1-0 A draw at the weekend where they looked second best, countered by an almost unstoppable performance in putting six past Galatasaray. With the return of Raphael Varane nearing, as well as Gareth Bale regaining his fitness, things will only get better.
6 (N/A) Arsenal 3-0-1 It's now six straight victories since their opening day shock loss to Aston Villa, and it was another good showing away from home, this time against Marseille, that sure proves not only will Arsenal be a force in England, but in Europe too.
7 (4) Juventus 2-1-0 Two away draws this week, but I would argue they were marginally better at Inter, and unlucky to get only a point in Copenhagen. I fully expect them to get back to winning ways this weekend against Hellas Verona, who could get a hammering.
8 (7) Manchester United 2-1-1 Two good if not scrappy wins against Palace and Leverkusen will ease some pressure off David Moyes. They've yet to fully hit their stride, although I've been saying that for a few years now and they've won titles in two of the past three seasons.
9 (8) Paris Saint-Germain 3-2-0 Since two draws to open the season, Laurent Blanc seems to figuring things out with four straight wins in all competitions, including the pairing of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Edinson Cavani, who are in the midst of forming a lethal front-line combo.
10 (N/A) FC Porto 4-0-0 I'm going take some stick for this, but it's hard to ignore the reigning Portuguese champions' accomplishments. In the last 103 league games, they've lost once. Once! And this season? In all competitions, played six, won six, outscoring opponents 13 to 1.

Those rankings are terrible, Napoli and Athletico are both heavily overrated on the back of 1 good CL performance. Also to suggest Arsenal are the best side in England is delusional, they're in good form but Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City are all ahead of them in terms of squad quality/depth.

Those rankings are terrible, Napoli and Athletico are both heavily overrated on the back of 1 good CL performance. Also to suggest Arsenal are the best side in England is delusional, they're in good form but Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City are all ahead of them in terms of squad quality/depth.
Power Rankings are more to do with form.
I think they're pretty accurate, AFC are the in form team from the UK atm

Power Rankings are more to do with form.
I think they're pretty accurate, AFC are the in form team from the UK atm

I still think they're overly form orientated, its too early to determine how good a side is from 3 matches in any meaningful way. For example if Napoli play Dortmund away they probably lose and their positions are reversed, rankings shouldn't be that reactive to single result.

I still think they're overly form orientated, its too early to determine how good a side is from 3 matches in any meaningful way. For example if Napoli play Dortmund away they probably lose and their positions are reversed, rankings shouldn't be that reactive to single result.
think your right there should wait for a couple months into the season, but i thought it would be good discussion

You would expect the rankings to stabilise to form a more accurate reflection of teams as we get deeper into the season. Each update you would think would be a little more accurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

napoli are top of serie a and atletico 2nd though. plus atletico play some fantastic football. zenit are seasoned cl campaigners and they really outplayed them. atletico would give any top team a run for their money, as they've shown the last couple of years. that dismantling of chelsea, beating madrid, they're a really strong and well rounded team. napoli are much the same. key additions, playing good foootball and with a very good manager in charge. you can only base it off results so far, and so far chelsea, utd and ourselves have played ordinary and dropped points.

napoli are top of serie a and atletico 2nd though. plus atletico play some fantastic football. zenit are seasoned cl campaigners and they really outplayed them. atletico would give any top team a run for their money, as they've shown the last couple of years. that dismantling of chelsea, beating madrid, they're a really strong and well rounded team. napoli are much the same. key additions, playing good foootball and with a very good manager in charge. you can only base it off results so far, and so far chelsea, utd and ourselves have played ordinary and dropped points.

I'd still back in the likes of Chelsea and PSG over two legs against both sides, simply because the quality they've got at their disposal may prove too strong for what are solid, but not top-tier CL sides. Form is temporary but class is permanent, and I'm tipping most of the top underperforming CL sides will get stronger as the season goes on.

Also look at the sides that Napoli have played, other than Dortmund none are even remotely on the same level, this week against Milan should be the real test of how they've progressed.

but the point of weekly power rankings is to compare these sides based on form. if psg did play atletico they very well might beat them. however, they don't (yet). fact is a team like napoli is top of serie a and just beat a team who made the champions league final. the likes of chelsea are 5th and just had a humiliating loss to basel at home. it's a form based ranking, not a who is the strongest team on paper ranking.

but the point of weekly power rankings is to compare these sides based on form. if psg did play atletico they very well might beat them. however, they don't (yet). fact is a team like napoli is top of serie a and just beat a team who made the champions league final. the likes of chelsea are 5th and just had a humiliating loss to basel at home. it's a form based ranking, not a who is the strongest team on paper ranking.

So why aren't Basel up there? Knocked off the Europa League champions and are undefeated this season. Form's deceptive, and the rankings clearly seem to be a combination of paper strength and recent results.

EDIT: Sorry, they've actually lost one game this season.

you'd have to ask shaka that one. i would highly doubt he watches the swiss league on a regular basis

half of it is based on the strength of a team, you are right there. but napoli and atletico have proven to be strong teams in strong leagues so far. power rankings anywhere change week by week based on the results. it's a form based guide, and there's no way that something like this is going to have teams from the swiss league and stuff in there, people don't want to read about that. they want to read about how manchester city isn't a top 10 team, they want to see stuff like napoli and atletico over teams like psg and utd. power rankings have always been about getting people talking. the same as mike sheahan's top 50. no one really knows who's going to be the top 50 players at the start of the year. just like no one knows what the result of bayern vs barca could be next week. you can only go on form relative to the league they play in.

We have started well, I couldn't be happier, first time I think we can win the title, we have beaten three teams who always troll us, we have scored 9 goals and conceded 2 in serie A, two coming from brainfarts from Britos, but we have a good goal spread, Hamsik has 4 goals and is a CAM, callejon has 3, higuain 2, so goals are the problem, Milan will be a test and we don't have a good record at the San Siro, we have drawn a lot their lately I think, but Milan are pretty weak and there manager isn't one for trying new things it seems, still no team should think they are above the process, but I think we can beat them, I hope Rafa doesn't rotate too much, Insigne free kick will give him a lot of confidence, plus he's a home boy, so he'll feel good. The key for us this season is getting more ponts than Juve, yeah no s**t, but if you watched last season what I mean is, everytime we got close to Juve we'd choke like bitches, they lead the whole race, this time we finally are on top by two points, two points is a lot is serie a (cultural thing) I can't see other teams winning it, it'll be a bit like the Spanish league last year with barca Madrid, if we do what barca did, we could make it easier for ourselves, but fiorentina should be respected aswell, inter too they play s**t football but mazzari knows how to get results, Milan are a bunch of *******s, roma are on the same points as us, but they lack depth, that was our problem in the past, don't even know why i'm writing this, i'm just so excited and still going crazy from our win yesterday.

Thought it was harsh to drop us off the top 10 list whilst United remained in 8th?? We were still top of the league at that point. Now we should be out of the top 10. Hoping to get back to winning ways on Wednesday and again on Sunday.

Thought it was harsh to drop us off the top 10 list whilst United remained in 8th?? We were still top of the league at that point. Now we should be out of the top 10. Hoping to get back to winning ways on Wednesday and again on Sunday.

United are in champions league.

I think he dropped Liverpool out of the top 10 because he was looking at a "goals for" table and noticed Liverpool were in the "relegation zone".

What does that matter? At the time we were top of the league, unbeaten. But who really cares, it's Shaka's power rankings??? Haha. More worried about getting the result on Wednesday.

Europe is part of the rankings is it not?

For me, at this stage of the season that puts United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal ahead of Liverpool despite being top at the time. Probably Spurs too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back