Misc Footy Pre-game routine

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey all just interested in what others do in the way of a pre-match routine. (sorry if it's not the place for the thread)

Playing a practice match this weekend... 1st game in pretty much 3 years.. Its had me thinking about what I need to do for Saturday.
Funnily enough I have found myself just slipping straight back into my old thought pattern/planning.

My routine generally is like this:

- Have a shave on the Thursday night.. I remember years ago my old man or someone told me to have a sharp stubble for footy so if you tackle someone you scratch them a bit!! And I just have done it for years since!!

- I generally will shave my ankles for strapping Thursday night or Friday.. Another habit is I always strap both early in the season when the grounds are harder

- pack my bag the night before

- morning of the game check my bag as i'm getting dressed

- generally check it AGAIN before I leave.

- I like to be early so normally get to the ground 10-15 mins at least before I am supposed to be there.

- Getting ready I'm pretty basic, ankles strapped when I can get it done, generally just as I have my shorts on, jumper on and have a bit of a stretch and touch the footy in the rooms. My old club had u18s so at 3/4 of their game would go out onto the ground for a kick, get a feel for the wind, if I had the right boots etc
- then into the proper warm up in the rooms, rev up from the coach and go!!

I'm pretty anal with checking my gear over and over.. Nothing worse than forgetting a towel or spare socks or jocks!!

I also am big for knowing I have to leave home by a certain time... And sitting in the lounge with all my gear checking my watch every 5 mins till its go time!! :D

Depends largely on venues.....

HOME GAME
- Wake about 6:30-6:45, shower etc
- Pack gear, leave about 7:15 AM
- WALK to ground (takes about 45 minutes), stop at servo on way to ground to buy 1 GATORADE (has to be Gatorade, not Powerade)
- Arrive at ground approx. 8:00-8:05, drop gear into home rooms, quick walk to inspect ground conditions
- Change into umpiring gear 8:10, make sure the Game ball is ready and inflated (always get asked about using synthetic ball, occasionally use for first half if dew is excessive)
- Toss coin at 8:25 AM
- First Bounce (throw up) 8:30, 4 x 12 minute quarters for Under 13's with 3, 5 and 3 minute breaks between quarters.
- Collect team sheets @ 9:30
- Submit votes for League Best and Fairest at 9:33, always give player from losing team 1 vote and player from winning team 3 & 2 votes.
- Watch Under 15's, occasionally warm up on exercise bike. VERY occasionally get asked to do club B&F votes for U/15's.
- Change into playing gear during 2nd quarter of Under 17's, always get both ankles strapped
- DO NOT touch ball during warm-up, instead I do extra stretches (have history of hamstring and calf problems)
- Game Time: 12:30 PM

LOCAL AWAY GAME
- Wake up 7:30-7:45, shower and pack
- Leave at 8:20, drop bag in AWAY rooms watch as much of the Under 13's and 15's as possible
- Routine before match same as home game.

AWAY GAME BUS TRIP/AWAY FINALS
- Wake up 7:00, Shower and pack (Jeans and extra underwear essential for later)
- Leave at 7:45, stop at ATM for Cash, possibly stop at newsagent for paper (read by others).
- Arrive at meeting place at least 45 minutes before departure, but try NOT to be first at venue.
- Board bus generally later than scheduled, try to catch some sleep. Always try to get seat directly behind driver. (Car Pool for finals)
- Generally arrive at venue 11AM, drop bag in away rooms etc.....(May be altered for away night games)

LOCAL FINALS MATCHES
- Get to ground as early as possible, watch as much of 13's and 15's as possible.
- Find area in ground that all can sit at as a group. Make yourself visible as you spot team.
- Enter rooms at quarter time of 17's as they are not available unless club is involved in game before/after.
- Same routine as regular season games except make sure someone is watching bag in stands as we're not allowed to keep our bag in the rooms if we're sharing with another club.

Depends largely on venues.....

HOME GAME
- Wake about 6:30-6:45, shower etc
- Pack gear, leave about 7:15 AM
- WALK to ground (takes about 45 minutes), stop at servo on way to ground to buy 1 GATORADE (has to be Gatorade, not Powerade)
- Arrive at ground approx. 8:00-8:05, drop gear into home rooms, quick walk to inspect ground conditions
- Change into umpiring gear 8:10, make sure the Game ball is ready and inflated (always get asked about using synthetic ball, occasionally use for first half if dew is excessive)
- Toss coin at 8:25 AM
- First Bounce (throw up) 8:30, 4 x 12 minute quarters for Under 13's with 3, 5 and 3 minute breaks between quarters.
- Collect team sheets @ 9:30
- Submit votes for League Best and Fairest at 9:33, always give player from losing team 1 vote and player from winning team 3 & 2 votes.
- Watch Under 15's, occasionally warm up on exercise bike. VERY occasionally get asked to do club B&F votes for U/15's.
- Change into playing gear during 2nd quarter of Under 17's, always get both ankles strapped
- DO NOT touch ball during warm-up, instead I do extra stretches (have history of hamstring and calf problems)
- Game Time: 12:30 PM

LOCAL AWAY GAME
- Wake up 7:30-7:45, shower and pack
- Leave at 8:20, drop bag in AWAY rooms watch as much of the Under 13's and 15's as possible
- Routine before match same as home game.

AWAY GAME BUS TRIP/AWAY FINALS
- Wake up 7:00, Shower and pack (Jeans and extra underwear essential for later)
- Leave at 7:45, stop at ATM for Cash, possibly stop at newsagent for paper (read by others).
- Arrive at meeting place at least 45 minutes before departure, but try NOT to be first at venue.
- Board bus generally later than scheduled, try to catch some sleep. Always try to get seat directly behind driver. (Car Pool for finals)
- Generally arrive at venue 11AM, drop bag in away rooms etc.....(May be altered for away night games)

LOCAL FINALS MATCHES
- Get to ground as early as possible, watch as much of 13's and 15's as possible.
- Find area in ground that all can sit at as a group. Make yourself visible as you spot team.
- Enter rooms at quarter time of 17's as they are not available unless club is involved in game before/after.
- Same routine as regular season games except make sure someone is watching bag in stands as we're not allowed to keep our bag in the rooms if we're sharing with another club.

Very interesting to hear you don't touch the footy at all before the game.... Obviously it works for you!

Very similar to OP.
- Wake up nice and early, have a bit of brekky.
- Have a shower and a shave (have to have a shower every morning no matter what.)
- Bag is already packed from the night before.
- Get changed after i have a shower, usually about 8-8.30.
- Watch a bit of TV, usually TVN or Sky Racing. And then either watch some of the Friday night sport or play some PS3. I get pretty anxious before games so i try not to think about it too much, until im pretty much at the ground.
- Then, shorts have to go on first, and then jumper. Then I change my socks and then footy boots.
- Inspect the ground go for a bit of a walk. Usually not too talkative before a match, keep to myself a little bit. Occassionally, I will listen to my iPod, but only if I'm in a s**t mood.
I always have to listen to something upbeat in the car on the way there, get myself pumped.
Drink lots of water in the morning and on the way.
Nothing overly special really.

Nothing really over the top. Like to get up around 9am. Have some toast.. Have some milo. Get to the ground just before the reserves start. Watch them til half time then don't watch a single minute of player after.. been doing that for years.

Always shorts on first ( no warmers, they're for homos ) then jumper, socks, left boot, right boot. Then mouth guard.

i work Saturday mornigs so dont get much time to think about it or get many routines happening.

Rush to ground at 12:30. Team meeting. Shorts, Socks, Boots and jumper on. Training top over the top. On to ground for warm up then BANG! game time!

I usually get up about half an hour before I have to leave :D. All my stuff is packed the night before.

Put my bag in rooms.
Have a kick with team mates and check out the ground.
Get changed.
Warm up with whatever the team is doing.

As you can see, I don't really have a set routine. It changes every time I play. :thumbsu:

Night before a game id generally prefer to have a nice big meal, then stay up late. This would allow me to sleep in a bit so i didnt get nerves while waiting around all morning for the game to start.
Have a light breaky w/ a V or Red Bull (wouldnt drink one of those these days though)
Get to the ground around about the time i was meant to. Have a kick at HT/3QT of the game before (if there was one).
Get dressed pretty early, maybe 30-45 before start of game.
I preferred to not get involved in the drills before a game, this was mainly because A) didnt wanna tirer myself out B) i hated get that grippo stuff all over my hands (that other players insisted on using) that was on the footy and C) just liked to keep things to myself, handball/kick the ball to myself.
Once it was time to go out, id always try and get my hands on the footy to carry out onto the ground, although alot of guys wanted the ball themselves also, id try and get my hands on one early and i wouldnt give it to anyone else.
Then id prefer to head out last through the door out onto the ground, again alot of guys like to do that also.
Have a few kicks around and set shots, then get into it

Anyone have a No-Doze/energy drink or any caffeine before a game?

Started having a couple of no-doze last year before a game due to having to work a morning shift on gameday and then kept taking them after, not sure whether its simply a placebo effect but I feel bit more energetic and yer not sure whether I should continue it this year..
A negative side effect is of course risk of dehydration, but I make sure I drink lots days before and plenty on gameday just on principle.

Im usually quite tolerant to caffeine normally, ie: a can of energy drink doesnt really affect me. Guess I should try not rely on a caffeine boost as I am already hyped up before a game, just wanted to find a slight edge.. :p

The one thing i always struggled with was when is a good time to eat before a match (if its at 2pm) and what to eat. You obviously have breakfast in the morning but then there is a big gap between then and the game but at the same time you dont want to eat right before your game.
At least when you play 2's you only have to have breakfast and your not hungry for a 12pm noon game.

Night Before:

• Bath at around average temperature (found this just helps my legs feel fresh the next day)
  • Pack bag the night before, set the gear i'm going to wear to the match up.
  • Study opposition, and study my position, figure out what kind of role I will be playing
  • Drink a TON of water

Day Of:

• Wake up as late as I want (games are in the arvo for me)
  • Have a huge breakfast to get tons of energy into me (usually eggs on toast with maybe a little bacon), but nothing too heavy (not too much bacon, no sausages, etc. generally try to stay away from fats before a match because they make me feel sick)
  • After this pretty much do whatever I want. Listen to music, watch tv (watch the footy), catch up with mates even
  • On the way to the match/before the warm up: listen to any music that i feel like, or have a chat to mates down at footy
  • Cruise through the warm up

Probably not the same as all yours, but i've found over the years that I play much better when I relax before a match rather than work myself up and try to pump myself up to play the best game of football ever

Anyone have a No-Doze/energy drink or any caffeine before a game?

Started having a couple of no-doze last year before a game due to having to work a morning shift on gameday and then kept taking them after, not sure whether its simply a placebo effect but I feel bit more energetic and yer not sure whether I should continue it this year..
A negative side effect is of course risk of dehydration, but I make sure I drink lots days before and plenty on gameday just on principle.

It's not a risk of. scientifically speaking, no matter how much water you've drank before you have the caffeine, you will become dehydrated after consuming it.

If you're tired, have a piece of fruit. The natural sugars will give you a kick that's not only better for you than caffeine, but will give you a longer energy high allowing you to run out the match. Powerade also has a lot of sugar in it but most physio's and sport doctors will tell you it's not the greatest substance for you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to get more nervous before training, weirdly enough.

My pre-game routine doesn't really exist. I get up at a reasonable time, but either boot on first, and there's no timeline of what I should and shouldn't do. I don't eat breakfast, I like to get there at a reasonable time (not late, but being the first one there is the worst). Playing B colts in the West Australian Amateur Football League means it's not worth stressing about.

I tend to get more nervous before training, weirdly enough.

My pre-game routine doesn't really exist. I get up at a reasonable time, but either boot on first, and there's no timeline of what I should and shouldn't do. I don't eat breakfast, I like to get there at a reasonable time (not late, but being the first one there is the worst). Playing B colts in the West Australian Amateur Football League means it's not worth stressing about.

That's bloody weird!! You worried about getting picked!?

Depends if it is a day game or night game. This is my routine for day games (2.30PM).

Night before, chicken pasta in napolitana sauce for carbs, ice cream for sugar.

Get up up whenever my body tells me to, have my normal breakfast of one cup of muesli, chopped banana and half a cup of natural yoghurt.

I find game day mornings are great for doing housework/gardening/tinkering in the shed, basically anything that keeps me moving around and not being stationary for too long. Make sure I have boots, socks, shorts and mouthguard in my bag. Team polo on, dress pants and shoes on, then off to the ground.

Ill normally get some lunch in, a chicken and salad roll with a couple pieces of fruit I find works best.

Our coach meets with us at half time of the reserves game out on the ground, that is the latest we should be getting there. I normally try and make it for the start of the reserves game, catch up with the boys, talk s**t, have a few laughs etc

After half time, skins on, shorts on, off to the trainers room for my ankles to be taped and calves/hammys to be rubbed.

Socks on, then find a quite spot on the carpet with my ipod blaring Foo Fighters, Green Day, AC/DC, Queens of The Stone Age etc basically any fast rock and do some limbering up. Boots on just before 3/4 time of the reserves, out on the ground for a quick trot, inspect the ground, get used to the light, wind.

Back in the rooms, training singlet off, guernsey on, then into our playing group. I am a defender, so we will sit and discuss our opponents, double and triple check our call signs for different kick ins then our coach will come over and we will summarise what we have discussed.

Few bumps, tackles, short handball inside on the carpet, lots of talk, shouting, getting fired up. Siren for the reserves game goes, coach gets us in for his final address. He is great at this, leaves me tingling at the end. We push our captain to the front, then we all file out of the rooms, down the race, past the 'guard of honour' the reserves have made then out onto the field.

Few run throughs, stretching, more run throughs building up to 100% pace, then some short kicking. Warning siren goes, captain goes over for the toss, we huddle up, wait for him to come back to tell us which way we are kicking, his final few words then GAME TIME!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back