Pre-season 2014/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunstan played round one because his body was ready from sanfl playing. Likewise Eli's tank is exceptional already and Billings was more for just a taste of the big time. I doubt Sinclair would be ready for round 1 and will propably require time in the VFL.

Funny reading the Saints news this week about Richo not wanting to rush the rookies. He said same last year, but due to the run of injuries 3 of them played right away. They never intended to let Billings play so early, but almost had no choice.

Things to bear in mind with the upgrade:
- we won't make it until after the NAB Cup, so whilst it seems likely it'll be a small fwd/run-through-MF type, we could get a load of injuries in the next few weeks which force our hand.
- Holmes effectively gives us an extra rookie list space. If we upgrade him, we don't gain that spot back as spare for someone else to come into. It was actually one of the few arguments against the current setup of the international exemption (I think Kennelly pointed it out), that whilst it gets people onto the periphery of an AFL when they otherwise wouldn't have that shot, it actually makes the final step to full-list elevation less likely, as there's more of an incentive to keep the player where they are so you get additional numbers. So Holmes will only get an upgrade if he is obviously one of the 2 best ruck options on the list. I think that would mean Pierce, and Longer or Hickey both being out, and probably Bruce and maybe Goddard both also not in consideration.
- Richo strikes me as leaning towards the cautious, especially early-season. That's what makes me think it won't be Sinclair - Schneider was great in 2 games last year and a shadow of himself in others, I'd say if he tracks well in preseason he has the inside track. But if Saad looks better, there's no reason not to pick him; it's not like Schneider isn't still around the place and would probably be in the rooms pregame so guys still get a bit of mentorship rub off him.

Some news out of training today.

First of all, here's the Facebook pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152845504078183.1073741866.79666748182&type=1

And here's a report from Hallalj#3, over at our good friends on SS, who went to training:

Today was a bit of match simulation, which was by far the most interesting session I've seen so far this year, mainly because it gave me a better indication of how the Coaches see there team lining up.

For instance Bruce will be perhaps looking to be playing the relief ruckmen role as that's the role he was playing today.

Blake Acers was playing across HB and looks very comfortable there.

Billings was playing on ball which I think has come around earlier then the club anticipated which is a great thing.

Holmes looks to be coming along really nicely in the ruck took some nice grabs, not to sure what the club saw in Longer to be honest can't take a mark at this stage.

Steven moved very well and got the separation out of the centre bounce which we've become accustomed to.

Sinclair looked really good in close and has sweet sidestep.

Fisher will super important this year.

Roberton Looks fit and bigger this year I think last yr could've just been a one off.

Hugh Goddard was very good

Tom Lee looks fit and was involved a lot, very good when the ball was on the ground, but dropped a mark that I couldn't believe he dropped.

Savage very good off HB

Membrey provided a good focal point across HF

Mccartin took a strong grab and kicked a long goal.

Few absentees No Roo, No Geary, No Armo, still no Hickey sand no Lewis Pierce.

Also when asked about Joey, he said, "Yeah mate dominated the session.. Plenty of it."

Tony74 (who's definitely in the know) also added, "Great write up Hallalj#3. You forgot to mention Spencer who I thought did a great job as the lead up forward." He also said, "A couple of boys he mentioned not being there were in the pool. Dead right about Stevens, looking very sharp. Acres has dropped a couple of kgs and is running better, as is Brodie. Thought Marksworth was good today and they played through him a bit. Schneids did fast laps."

Significantly improved body shape, he looks lean and strong. Has dropped the necessary puppy fat and can now progress a slow bulk until full beast mode. I expect he will be a very solid boy by 21.

10974158_10152845504898183_3755784318629679303_o.jpg

That's awesome to hear that Steven was training and looking good and also that Murdoch was training. Also very glad to hear that Lee was heavily involved as he can bring a lot to the table when he gets his strength and fitness up to AFL standard.

There is going to be a serious amount of competition for spots in both the backline and forward line this year!

That's awesome to hear that Steven was training and looking good and also that Murdoch was training. Also very glad to hear that Lee was heavily involved as he can bring a lot to the table when he gets his strength and fitness up to AFL standard.

There is going to be a serious amount of competition for spots in both the backline and forward line this year!
And midfield!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's great seeing Paddy looking to have cut all that excess weight. Hopefully that will get people to shutup about his "health issues".

I can't wait to see him in 3-4 years when he's added more muscle to his frame - particularly his lower body.

It's great seeing Paddy looking to have cut all that excess weight. Hopefully that will get people to shutup about his "health issues".

I can't wait to see him in 3-4 years when he's added more muscle to his frame - particularly his lower body.
Agreed. I do reckon he will end up being 195cms and 100+ kgs and just be a dominating forward.

I think he will be more Roughhead than Hawkins. IIRC, he rated elite in peripheral and reaction times. He'll be big, but I don't think that will be his major asset.
Apparently he is fantastic below the knees which is a massive difference from Riewoldt who is just hopeless at ground level.

Significantly improved body shape, he looks lean and strong. Has dropped the necessary puppy fat and can now progress a slow bulk until full beast mode. I expect he will be a very solid boy by 21.

10974158_10152845504898183_3755784318629679303_o.jpg
uglydermie - Our boy is gonna be a beast!!!

Last edited:
I think Curren is destined to be a handy guy but never better than the 9th or 10th mid on the list. He can fetch the ball, and he can tag fairly well but he hasn't been given much opportunity to do any more (even then his on ball chances have been limited). There must be reasons behind this; the staff who see him every day must have made judgements on his skill level and judged him more as a physical contest guy than a handling the ball guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back