Pre-Season 2015/16

Remove this Banner Ad

How about the one holding down CHB at 18yo?

I like young Goddard but holding down CHB is a bit of a stretch, he has played a handful of promising games. I think he looks likely but probably need to see more to have an honest idea of how good he will be.

I think you might be struggling to hold people back from Billings. He's probably the only one of our kids who looks a very probable A grader at this stage.
This is a joke right?
Lonie,Sinclair,McKenzie,Paddy,Goddard, Dunstan,Longer,Bruce,Newnes,Webster have all shown they are on track to be A grade players.

Granted not all will,but I genuinely believe this group is more talented then our last group who came through 12 years ago. only exception was we had roo a once in a generation player and don't appear to have one that good in this current group. Overall this group will achieve alot,is deeper and has more talent.

This is a joke right?
Lonie,Sinclair,McKenzie,Paddy,Goddard, Dunstan,Longer,Bruce,Newnes,Webster have all shown they are on track to be A grade players.

Granted not all will,but I genuinely believe this group is more talented then our last group who came through 12 years ago. only exception was we had roo a once in a generation player and don't appear to have one that good in this current group. Overall this group will achieve alot,is deeper and has more talent.
Do you honestly believe that they are all on track to be A grade players? no chance

The expectation down at seaford is they will be.

I said not all will become a graders. But there is nothing stopping them
Billy seems to be awfully underrated, even by Saints fans. To me, he's just as exciting as JB, he was winning ruck contests at 21 years of age (coming off a poor preseason, too)! Longer is one of the two best ruck prospects to come through the system in the last 5 years (imo behind Grundy), he will be a star.

The guys currently on SEN atm have been saying that they are trying to get in contact with the club about something (they haven't said what). Anyone have any ideas?

The guys currently on SEN atm have been saying that they are trying to get in contact with the club about something (they haven't said what). Anyone have any ideas?
Probably been reading bigfooty again and all about carlilse missing training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well theyre bitching about councils at the moment so it cant be too ******* interesting.

Sorry but there is a reason Tom Lee hasn't made it, he is not good enough and I don't mean to be disrespectful towards Tom but AFL is a tuff gig and some players just cant make it weather its through injury or bad luck If Tom was going to make it he would have by now, should never been given a 2 year contract in the 1st place.
if youd done your research first youd know that he has always had small injuries throughout his entire time at the saints. such as the damaged tendon in his shoulder that stopped him from competing in marking contests with any effect.

Last edited:
This is a joke right?

Are you really going to try and argue that every one of those players is on track to be A grade? I like the speculation but purely on what we've actually seen the only potential A grade players would be Lonie, Sinclair, Dunstan and Bruce. And they are potential.

I'm sorry but I've gotta agree with Gringo that atm the only player that is very probable to be an A grader is billings.

Are you really going to try and argue that every one of those players is on track to be A grade? I like the speculation but purely on what we've actually seen the only potential A grade players would be Lonie, Sinclair, Dunstan and Bruce. And they are potential.

I'm sorry but I've gotta agree with Gringo that atm the only player that is very probable to be an A grader is billings.

Bruce is an A grader

Longer is a elite talent i don't know why he is so underrated by our own fans

If A grade is starting 22 in any team then Roberton would be on that list after this season his kicking efficiency is ridiculous

Finally I'm more bullish on Goddard then Lonie or Sinclair

I think it's actually ridiculous that we go down the path of accessing the best youth in the comp and people start judging them as being either A grade or lower before most have had 2 or 3 seasons in the comp.

Arguing that we don't have A graders before they've been given a chance to even settle is just absolute cr*p. And for those that don't rate our youth what is the criteria that you base this on? Do you have a formulae and is it proven? Or seriously are you just media junkies that react to every bad story regardless of their actual validity.

So are you going to argue that every one of those players isn't on track to be A grade? I'm sorry but I've gotta disagree.

I mean seriously when you are talking about young talent how do you assess whether they are tracking well or not, or what level they are on? You only have a few games to gauge this. Is their form poor - who or what do you assess it against? How do you know how they are really going - answer is you don't. You either at this point take a negative perspective of what has been shown or a positive one.

Before you go further - it might pay to define "A grade". Even experts will disagree on who the "A graders" are in any squad.

I personally didn't think we had any genuine A grade players playing for us in 2015. We have several players who I have rated that good in the past: Riewoldt, Fisher, maybe Dempster. Further in the past we also had Goddard, Dal Santo, Gehrig, and arguably Milne. Although I've loved each and every Saints player (except Lovett), I am able to see that they have faults as well as assets.

The players we have developing now are difficult for us to assess in an unbiased manner. Sometimes we delude ourselves - I know I have incremented players' development before observing it (like adding interest in a bank account before it accrues). This delusion can go either way - some people think our players are better than, and others think they are worse than how good they actually are.

IMO Billings may get to A grade soonest, Lonie is surprisingly good and may get there, Goddard and McCartin have a way to go but both are on the path, Carlisle may make it, the next line of betting would have Sinclair, Ross, Webster, McKenzie and maybe Freeman (Although I haven't really had an opportunity to assess him yet)... I dont think Bruce is there, and maybe he will never get to true A grade but he's fantastic value and has made 2015 a much better spectacle than it could have been. That was my point in the beginning actually - we don't need that many A graders if we have such strong support from players who play roles or are limited but find ways to maximise their contributions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back