Pre-season 2015/2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guy, why don't you spend your time off hitting the weights and ensuring that your 3km time trial is significantly worse than last year just so some people on the Internet can fap over your beach muscles that have zero correlation to actual strength?

Some of you guys need to look back at all the gameday threads, or review threads, and see the amount of times there were comments on how easily we were pushed around, how small we looked. Even some of the posters now saying it's nothing to worry about have changed tune oh so quick.

It was a worry when Burgess was last here and looks like continuing again under his reign yet again.

We look small and lean, yet again.

Actually looking imposing is worth a lot more than our current fitness department give credit to.

Some of you guys need to look back at all the gameday threads, or review threads, and see the amount of times there were comments on how easily we were pushed around, how small we looked. Even some of the posters now saying it's nothing to worry about have changed tune oh so quick.

It was a worry when Burgess was last here and looks like continuing again under his reign yet again.

Actually looking imposing is worth a lot more than our current fitness department give credit to.

FFS its not even week 3 of preseason. Mladen only just started. What were the players supposed to do on their end of season break? Do their own weights program and have no time off?

Some people need to let this small and lean thing go at least until the end of preseason.

Ild take small and lean if we're playing finals, as opposed to Cameron Ballon's meat pies and frozen cokes fitness regime

412062.jpg

Be still, my beating heart.

As Janus said, beach muscle aren't going to do anything to help us be physical in contests. That has to do with core strength, but more importantly: mindset.
We've bought in a speciality strength coach who seems quite highly credentialed and well regarded in his field. It's pretty bloody obvious that we're interested in being as optimally muscular as possible.

Yeah look, we're no longer in an era where someone like Stuart Dew can present for preseason loaded with fat. You can build muscle and strength from a fit, lean body but you can't just magically turn fat into muscle. First you have to lose it, then you have to build muscle. I don't know about you but I'd much rather a bunch of guys presenting themselves fit and ready to train.

Did you watch our last few games? I didn't see us being pushed around in those.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the last two years we've beaten Hawthorn 3 times - who are probably the biggest and most menacing team going around. We've beaten Freo twice, Geelong once, North once - all teams that are pretty well built. We didnt lose to Carlton & Brisbane because we got pushed off the ball.

We also couldnt run out of sight on a dark night for much of the year. We need to find that balance between strength and still being able to run and run and run.

Guys are going to look different depending on what exercise they're doing at the time. Take a photo of a guy doing some routine handball drills, you're not going to see a lot of muscle definition. Take a photo of a guy in a marking contest and chances are "the pump" will be in full effect.

95% of our failures this season were mental imo. i personally don't recall once last year in any game we were losing thinking "gee we look too small". i remember thinking we had a bunch of players who weren't willing to work hard enough for 4 quarters. muscles had nothing to do with us being 4-5 goals down before realising we had to pull our finger out before we produced 10-15 minutes of scintillating footy where our opponents could barely register a score. the story of our season was getting back to within a kick or two & leaving it far too late. that's all mindset.

In the last two years we've beaten Hawthorn 3 times - who are probably the biggest and most menacing team going around. We've beaten Freo twice, Geelong once, North once - all teams that are pretty well built. We didnt lose to Carlton & Brisbane because we got pushed off the ball.

We also couldnt run out of sight on a dark night for much of the year. We need to find that balance between strength and still being able to run and run and run.
I'm not buying into the panic, but I'd say Sydney are the side that relies on out muscling opponents as a key part of their game plan more than other sides. And our record against them is .....

I'm not buying into the panic, but I'd say Sydney are the side that relies on out muscling opponents as a key part of their game plan more than other sides. And our record against them is .....
But then look at what Hawthorn did to them in the 2014 GF.
Hawthorn went in with the mindset of destroying them physically at every contest and the Swans absolutely crumbled to that mental pressure.

But then look at what Hawthorn did to them in the 2014 GF.
Hawthorn went in with the mindset of destroying them physically at every contest and the Swans absolutely crumbled to that mental pressure.
As the Hawks are larger bodied and can do that. Hawks are big bodies, but they are a precision kicking side not a smash in when they play us.

FFS its not even week 3 of preseason. Mladen only just started. What were the players supposed to do on their end of season break? Do their own weights program and have no time off?

Some people need to let this small and lean thing go at least until the end of preseason.
Totally agree!!!!! I for one am stoked at the condition the boys presented themselves in!! They have just come back from holidays for goodness sake!! What the absolute hell are some people expecting????????????????

We were easily pushed around because we allowed ourselves to be. Nothing to do with strength.
Exackery!! Case in point, go back to last years 1st final against Richmond. We had guys like Monfries and Gray pushing bigger players like Rance & Chaplin all over the Park. Then Neade was bashing & crashing players, who's left leg weighed more than him, off the ball ... as mentioned, it's all in the mindset!

Did you watch our last few games? I didn't see us being pushed around in those.
Exackery! If you are playing well, you are more attacking, more balanced, more centered!

As the Hawks are larger bodied and can do that. Hawks are big bodies, but they are a precision kicking side not a smash in when they play us.
No, because then you go back to Macca's post that we've beaten Hawthorn, Geelong, Freo, North in the past few years. All sides who are generally big-bodied.
Look at Jake Neade's bump on Dustin Martin in Q1 of the 2014 EF. Massive size difference between the two, but it was Neade's will to get to that ball and impact the contest that won it for him.
Seriously, there is a bit of a physical difference between whole squads but in the end they're all AFL players and elite athletes. Having slightly bigger biceps for show means SFA.

I reckon they look in good nick, not much fat content in those photos, which is what you want to see in the first official week of training for the majority. I've listened to Burgess, Ken, Mladen talk about what they are trying to achieve and their philosophies on fitness and i believe in what they are saying. I trust them to do their jobs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back