Pre season 2016 what are you expecting from the club for improvement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Those saying 'MORE WEIGHTS, BIG MUSCLES!' need to understand the amount of running involved in our sport makes it hard to sustain a large muscle mass throughout the season. The fitness programs of recent years have all began with weights and then blokes will trim down once full running drills begin in the warmer months.
Big bodied players are usually genetically big bodied ala Wines or your KPs.
Our style of play is fast pace movement forward and gut running back in defence - Burgess will have all bases covered.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

As others have said, some extra muscle and a lot of precision kicking practice.

Re kicking, older posters may remember Jack Oatey's sturt teams during their golden era in the late 60's, where virtually every player on the list had to be capable of kicking the ball on the run from 30 to 40 metres away through 44 gallon drums set up on stands.
Regardless of the era those blue bagger teams had some of the best field kicks I have ever seen, and the late Bob Shearman was the best of the lot, perfect 50 plus metre drop kicks that went no more than head high and hit a team mate lace out on the tit virtually every time.

Some of the best players in the AFL, although fit as all players to be, are not superb specimens. Take Sam Mitchell and Dane Swan for instance. Neither would get you to put your house on them in a foot race yet both are more likely to control a game than most other players. Closer to home, have a look at Hamish Hartlett. His best play comes when he positions himself well and is able to dispose of the ball in one or two steps. To see improvement in our players we need them to become smarter in their choices but also their lead-up actions in getting to the ball. If you wait till the ball moves and then race another player to it they will otherwise beat you or pressure you when you get to it. Greater anticipation is what is needed.

After this year's decision not to go to Dubai what do you think the main aim should be for this pre season?

After reading Kane's book about the star force training camp in 2000 I think this is the type of training needed.

Along with ball handling I think we need to break them down to have them mentally prepared for this season.

Players and coaching staff not to read and start to believe the crap the journalists write and the newspaper print....."Ryder the Missing Link", "Port Hot Favourites to Contest 2015 Flag", "Port's recruiting for a Premiership", etc. etc.

We started to believe our own publicity and consequently took the foot of the accelerator and accidently slipped in cruise control, physically and mentally.

The preseason need to be brutal with both skills and fitness.

Players and coaching staff not to read and start to believe the crap the journalists write and the newspaper print....."Ryder the Missing Link", "Port Hot Favourites to Contest 2015 Flag", "Port's recruiting for a Premiership", etc. etc.

We started to believe our own publicity and consequently took the foot of the accelerator and accidently slipped in cruise control, physically and mentally.

I agree but still think we need to have a great emphasis on getting mentally stronger, Hawthorn win so many games not because they are superior but that they have the composure to take their chances, something we have lacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is funny how everyone in here is going on about field kicking when one of our best field kicks doesn't look to be part of out plans at this stage for 2016 (Krak). Hawthorn have proved over nearly a decade that good field kicking is a massive factor in success of a football team. I can't quote the exact percentage of points which are scored from turnover but is is ridiculously high and we still have players that consistently turn the ball over week after week after week.

Jonas, Ebert, Butcher, Impey and Mitchell are all very poor kicks, they should not be getting a game until they improve, they wouldn't be playing for the Hawks that is for sure. Then we have a big tier of players who are acceptable kicks but nothing special, not damaging kickers of the ball. Then we have our elite kicks. Well Wingard is an elite user of the ball and kick for goal. We say hammer is a great user of the ball but at least for the first half of the year his kicking was ordinary. Krak is an elite kick, as mentioned earlier. Broadbent maybe. We don't have enough.

Hopefully this is something that is addressed because when you play high risk football like we do, skill errors result in goals more often then not.

It is funny how everyone in here is going on about field kicking when one of our best field kicks doesn't look to be part of out plans at this stage for 2016 (Krak).

<snip the rest of that mostly-bullshit>

How do you figure that, sports fan?

<snip the rest of that mostly-bullshit>

How do you figure that, sports fan?
Thanks for your input

hardly played in 2015 and isn't he still rookie listed? Unless I have misinterpreted what has been said on here a while back.

Thanks for your input

hardly played in 2015 and isn't he still rookie listed? Unless I have misinterpreted what has been said on here a while back.

He played 14 games in 2015. He's still rookie listed (although, interestingly, he appears on the senior list on the club website at the moment...) now, but that doesn't mean he will be at the beginning of the 2016 season. And even if he is, that doesn't mean he's not part of our plan. Kane Mitchell was a rookie in 2013-14 and saw plenty of game time. Krak and Sam Gray were rookies and 2015 and both came along nicely. Our rookie list is not some burial ground for forgotten/unwanted players.

This is the most important lesson from 2015. We just need to forget all the bullshit, stay focused on the job and bring our best every week.

Our best is good enough.

He played 14 games in 2015. He's still rookie listed (although, interestingly, he appears on the senior list on the club website at the moment...) now, but that doesn't mean he will be at the beginning of the 2016 season. And even if he is, that doesn't mean he's not part of our plan. Kane Mitchell was a rookie in 2013-14 and saw plenty of game time. Krak and Sam Gray were rookies and 2015 and both came along nicely. Our rookie list is not some burial ground for forgotten/unwanted players.
Well for me there is no question about it, he is in our best 18, i hope you're right and he does become senior listed at the beginning of the season.

Well for me there is no question about it, he is in our best 18, i hope you're right and he does become senior listed at the beginning of the season.
Even if he isn't he's almost certain to be in the first few rounds. It's unlikely someone won't have a long term injury. It's been said before if we had unlimited places and money he'd be on the main list, but we have Wines and Wingard to tie up and until trade week is done we don't know if there's a main list spot for him.

Still think our skills are god enough just need to be able to execute under duress.

It is funny how everyone in here is going on about field kicking when one of our best field kicks doesn't look to be part of out plans at this stage for 2016 (Krak). Hawthorn have proved over nearly a decade that good field kicking is a massive factor in success of a football team. I can't quote the exact percentage of points which are scored from turnover but is is ridiculously high and we still have players that consistently turn the ball over week after week after week.

Jonas, Ebert, Butcher, Impey and Mitchell are all very poor kicks, they should not be getting a game until they improve, they wouldn't be playing for the Hawks that is for sure. Then we have a big tier of players who are acceptable kicks but nothing special, not damaging kickers of the ball. Then we have our elite kicks. Well Wingard is an elite user of the ball and kick for goal. We say hammer is a great user of the ball but at least for the first half of the year his kicking was ordinary. Krak is an elite kick, as mentioned earlier. Broadbent maybe. We don't have enough.

Hopefully this is something that is addressed because when you play high risk football like we do, skill errors result in goals more often then not.
If we can get the game style of 2015 up and running I don't think we need to have as elite kicking skills as hawthorn as we can use link up handball and kick long and direct instead of short kicks like hawthorn.

Just to turn this on its head a bit, do you think Ken is under pressure if Port doesn't finish top 4 next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back