Pre-season and Rookie Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

“It was our full intention to re-draft Cam as a rookie with one of our four picks,” Scott told NMFC.com.au.

“Geelong chose to take Cam before we were able to take him with one of our Rookie picks. We’re really happy that Cam has got another opportunity, albeit it’s not with us.”

Scott says the communication lines have been well and truly open.

“Cam and I have had constant dialogue through this whole process. He was really excited to continue his career either with us or Geelong.”

Delaney has battled with a foot injury in recent times and it forced North to rethink its list strategy. It meant delisting Delaney before the AFL’s list lodgement deadline.

“Unfortunately due to his injury, we needed to free up a spot on the senior list so we could take our three picks in the National Draft. We did that (delisted him) with the full knowledge that there would be a risk of Cam going through the full process of the National and Rookie Drafts.

“He’s a terrific young man and we wish him all the best.”

Well, seems it is in fact open season from now on.

No love for

Kietel
Bampton
Taylor
Wilkinson
Bower
McDonough
Markov
Grace
Johansen
Lim
Eddy

Seems there are some hard done by kids there.

The cats broke the code, will be interesting to see how that plays out in the next few years.....
Anthony Miles says hi. I think Richmond got Brisbane back for poaching Raines recently, but can't remember whom it was.

Edit: Ah yeah, Banfield, couldn't remember the name of the ranga.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-03/cats-pinch-a-roo

The 22-year-old was still under contract with the Kangaroos for 2015.

Just a question, Delany was still under contract for 2015, are those player payments still in Norths salary cap? if not, do they have to pay him the difference between the Rookie contract he will be on at Geelong and what he would have been paid?

Anthony Miles says hi. I think Richmond got Brisbane back for poaching Raines recently, but can't remember whom it was.

Wasn't really "getting Brisbane back". He was going to be delisted but he had a year to run. Richmond, Banfield and Brisbane negotiated out Richmond picking him up so Brisbane could take Conway.

Just a question, Delany was still under contract for 2015, are those player payments still in Norths salary cap? if not, do they have to pay him the difference between the Rookie contract he will be on at Geelong and what he would have been paid?

Cats pick up the contract, its part of the reason players are moved onto it, as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Just a question, Delany was still under contract for 2015, are those player payments still in Norths salary cap? if not, do they have to pay him the difference between the Rookie contract and the one he was on?
No, he has to re-negiotate another contract with Geelong now. His NM one is now void because he got picked by another club.

Wasn't really "getting Brisbane back". He was going to be delisted but he had a year to run. Richmond, Banfield and Brisbane negotiated out Richmond picking him up so Brisbane could take Conway.
True, but they still would have picked him up if Richmond hadn't.

Brisbane didn't poach Raines, we traded him for pick 44 in the 2009 draft (Matt Dea).

What does Miles have to do with it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B

He had the option to put himself in the draft but Carlton would have risked someone else drafting him before they got around to it. This draft they knew no-one with a pick before them would bother.
Tutt couldn't get the Bulldogs to release him before the deadline for the National Draft (Dogs were trying to re-sign him) so he had to wait until the PSD. Although he nominated Carlton he could've been picked up by any other club before the Blues who were willing to meet his demands. Luckily for Carlton he made it through to them.

Its more like the Lions nabbing Goose McGuire from under Carlton's nose a few years back. There are photos of Matt in his Carlton training gear during the preseason he was with us.

Here:

300_maguire_1711.jpg

and here:

Carlton+Blues+Training+Session+yxIjeFY014rl.jpg

Last edited:
What was the knock on Taylor Keitel? It seems he was a pretty popular pick in most of the phantom drafts

No idea on his position. Is he a KPD or a KPF or a ruck? Seems an in betweener

I think the point Caj is making is that any kid at school still has time to train a couple of nights a week and play games on the weekend. It's healthy. I'm pretty sure regular exercise actually improves study. Plus hey the footy season is only half a year. Obviously a lot of these boys put in 20-30 hours a week in to their footy with school and TAC trainings and games, plus weight sessions and extra fitness stuff, then there's the trips away and carnivals etc. But those things only improve you so much for TAC level, if you are at all fit and train and play you should show most of your talents at school level. It's hard to tell if Long is a smokey who's focused on other things or if the kid actually just isn't any good but Essendon are selling him to their members as a well kept secret. Time will tell.

The good thing about Long is he's been training with the club since 2010. So while I don't believe that he is some freakish talent that we've managed to keep under wraps. You'd think that the club would have a good idea about his chances of making it at AFL level.

strategy of getting re-treads in rookie drafts is starting - i think last fwe years us doing it was a not as popular..
Last few years have also been compromised or weak drafts, that will make a difference in the talent left in the rookie draft also

What's the point of the pre-season draft when 90% of teams pass instead of picking year after year.?
Almost no point to it now, especially with such a short turn around between the main draft and rookie draft. Used to be that you could have some kids train with you and a handful may get picked up in the PSD, but now... nothing.

Anthony Miles says hi.
What has Miles got to do with it? He was delisted by GWS and he even sent out an email to all other clubs trying to pitch himself to be picked up again. At no stage did Richmond take him in the RD before GWS had a chance to.

Its more like the Lions nabbing Goose McGuire from under Carlton's nose a few years back. There are photos of Matt in his Carlton training gear during the preseason he was with us.

Here:

300_maguire_1711.jpg

and here:

Carlton+Blues+Training+Session+yxIjeFY014rl.jpg
I think I just threw up a little, I can handle Lions - but that makes me feel ill.

I think I just threw up a little, I can handle Lions - but that makes me feel ill.
Haha. He was sooo close to becoming a Blue. And he would've slotted straight into our 22. I was more than a little miffed at the time Brisbane took him. It's all good now - we managed to land Henderson and Docherty on the cheap ;)

All these club's with early picks walking the big names through to the PSD has panned out well. :drunk:

To be fair, those big names were pretty much all contracted this year. Membrey, whilst not a big name yet, wouldve gone pick one in the PSD had Sydney not done us a favour and delisted him.

If we were to get a big name from another club, I'd expect us to pay properly for him - but use the PSD as an empty threat. But I think next year is the concern for you guys, no trolling, just expect the rumours until they are all signed up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back