NFL 2014 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not sure what he has been smoking but I'd like some.

PHOENIX - Arizona Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson said Monday he believes he's worth more than the $57 million Seattle's Richard Sherman received recently.

He just hopes to find out how much more "sooner rather than later."

Peterson and the Cardinals are in the early stages of negotiating an extension to the All-Pro's rookie contract. The three-time Pro Bowler said he and Sherman are in different stages of their contracts, which means Peterson's camp has more time to negotiate. Sherman had a year left on his rookie deal when Seattle re-signed him to a four-year, $57 million extension with $40 million guaranteed last week, while Peterson has two years remaining after Arizona exercised a team option for 2015.

Peterson wouldn't commit to saying his camp, which includes agent Joel Segal (hired in December), will use Sherman's deal as a baseline for his extension, but all signs point to that.

Peterson said he "kind of" had a smile on his face when he saw the terms of Sherman's deal.

"I'm making OK money right now, but I'm just not making his money right now," Peterson said with a laugh.

Peterson will make $2.88 million in 2014 and $10 million in 2015.

Peterson congratulated Sherman on his contract and said the cornerback position has become a valuable one.

"I think cornerbacks are definitely worth the dollars that they get because now this league is a passing league," he said. "You need that shutdown corner to lock down one side of the field, or like myself, go out there the entire field."

Rather than play one side on defense, Peterson goes from side to side to defend the opponent's best receiver. His skill and worth to the team may well drive his contract higher than Sherman's.

The Cardinals just picked up the option on Peterson, and he's not sure any deal will get done before the coming season. He knows the Cardinals are eager to keep him, though.

"I think I'll be here for a while," Peterson said. "That's a definite guarantee, I'll be here for a while."

But with two All-Pro nods to his credit and a Pro Bowl appearance in each of his three NFL seasons, does Peterson think he's worth more than Sherman?

"We'll see," Peterson said. "Got to ask the Cardinals. I mean, I think I am but at the end of the day both sides have to agree to terms and we'll see what those terms are and hopefully sooner than later."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...a-cardinals-thinks-worth-more-richard-sherman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh who?

Only time will tell if he'll return to the NFL but not many (if any?) have succeeded in rehabbing / returning after getting sucked in with street drug addiction. He's only 23… now.

Santonio Holmes is another fool who will regret losing his way… sure, immortalised from being the XLIII SB MVP but at the same time… quickly spurned. Don't these idiots realise that dealing with drugs is not only a career killer but it's also laden with infamy. Despite Holmes having his career best season in 2009.. traded in the off-season. A liability upon himself (arrested for possession of marijuana and also had a domestic violence issue). Doubt he'll get another chance.

Interesting talk on ESPN radio about a new priority on new NFL draft picks who graduated.
Speculated it was part of the reason so many juniors went undrafted this year. Chip Kelly was quoted as saying it was as important as 40 times to him.
Didn't quite understand it all, but something to do more so with their 2-4th years not getting as much camp time as rookie's do.
It was interesting. Carr is a college graduate. So is Bridgewater. Bortles and Johnny are not.

Browns QB Johnny Manziel: 'I'm just a rookie'

By TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer) 1 hour ago AP - Sports

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Johnny stretched. Johnny ran. Johnny passed. Johnny talked.

With all eyes - well, at least the ones allowed to watch him - on quarterback Johnny Manziel, the most hyped college player to enter the NFL in years took his first steps with the Browns, who haven't promised Johnny Football anything other than a chance to win a starting job.

And that's cool with him.

''I'm a rookie,'' Manziel said. ''I need to earn my place. I need to earn my keep. Nothing here needs to be handed to me. I don't need to be treated based off what I did in the past, because that doesn't mean a thing at this level.''

The former Texas A&M quarterback, who oozes swagger every moment he's on the field, is participating in Cleveland's rookie minicamp this weekend along with its other draft picks and unsigned free agents. Browns first-year coach Mike Pettine restricted access to Saturday's workout, which was held inside because of rainy weather, to local media members. Sunday's practice is closed.

Pettine was on the Jets' coaching staff when popular quarterback Tim Tebow joined the team and wants to control ''Manzielmania'' as best he can.

Related Stories
''We're well aware of the persona. We're well aware of what it brings,'' Pettine said. ''We're excited about it. It's something that we're very willing to have come here, knowing that he has a chance to make us a better football team and a better franchise.''

Pettine added that he knows the decision to limit access will ''ruffle some feathers.''

''I'll apologize in advance for that, but what we're tasked as a staff to do is do what's best for the football team,'' he said.

Wearing a red No. 2 jersey, Manziel stretched with his teammates as Jay-Z's ''Public Service Announcement'' boomed through the speakers in the field house. With Browns owner Jimmy Haslam on the sideline, Manziel made a few handoffs and threw three short passes before the session was closed after 15 minutes.

Manziel later answered questions for 10 minutes before the interview was stopped by a member of the team's media relations staff.

View gallery

Manziel tried to clear up one story about how he wound up with the Browns, whose long-suffering fans hope his arrival can turn around their woeful franchise. Cleveland passed on him earlier in the draft before trading up to take him at No. 22.

On Thursday, quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains revealed during a radio interview that Manziel sent him a text message during last week's draft, urging the team to pick him. Loggains claimed the text read: ''Hurry up and draft me because I want to wreck this league together.''

Manziel confirmed he exchanged texts with Loggains, but said the one in which he claimed he would ''wreck this league'' may have been exaggerated.

''I don't know if that's exactly word for word,'' he said. ''It was something along those lines.''

He explained he didn't mean he was going to dominate as a rookie, just that he wanted to help the Browns win games.

View gallery

''Whenever it is I get a chance to play, I don't want to come in and be mediocre,'' he said.

As for his desire to join the Browns, Manziel said that was true.

''This was a place I felt comfortable with,'' he said. ''I liked the situation here and I wanted to come here, and if they wanted to take me and were trying to get me earlier, I said, 'Let's do it.' I don't know what kind of influence that had or what exactly that did.''

Pettine told Manziel that if he wants to start he's going to have to beat out Brian Hoyer, who made three starts last year before a knee injury ended his season.

Manziel said he understands he's nothing special - not yet.

View gallery

''I was completely OK with hearing that from everybody,'' he said. ''I don't want to come in and have anything handed to me that I don't deserve.''

Manziel was humbled long before the Browns took him.

''I got passed up 21 times, so that says something,'' he said.

As for meshing with his new teammates, Manziel is fitting right in.

Offensive lineman Joe Bitonio, a second-round pick, said there was a moment of awe when he walked into the locker room and realized his locker was next to Manziel's.

View gallery

Jets brought in Geelong-born punter Tom Hornsey as a camp try-out. Continues the Jets' fascination with Australian-born punters, starting with Ben Graham.

Haven't they shown that most successful QB's in the league were seniors coming out? I'm sure someone could name junior QB's who have done well but I'm sure i've seen numerous articles on the subject. An extra year of learning is vital to a QB where as other players don't really need it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back