NFL 2014 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't get a lot of argument from me about a lot of things you said but a lot of owners, coaches and the football watching public are innately conservative and view twitter, social change, etc through very old eyes.

The thing that i think pisses me off most about the Dungy thing it that He [And sadly others] think its more acceptable for a convicted dog killer to play in the NFL than someone who is gay. And he was the man who pushed for Vick and lobbied for him to get re-instated.

Where as in general society we have advanced to the point where its more socially acceptable to be gay than a dog killer.

In 100 years people will look back at this and just shake heads in disappointment. Because it could be seen as if you kill animals you will get the chance to work your way to a $100 Million contract, but if you are gay you will need to fight your ass off to get a change to showcase potential talent. [I know its nowhere that simple, but in 100 years it might be looked back at in that way.]

And it cant be easy for Sam to be put forward as the pioneer in the gay rights within the NFL, and i hope he is successful in the NFL, but when you hear the questions some draft prospects have been asked in the last few years it was always going to come out that he was gay before the draft.

The thing that i think pisses me off most about the Dungy thing it that He [And sadly others] think its more acceptable for a convicted dog killer to play in the NFL than someone who is gay. And he was the man who pushed for Vick and lobbied for him to get re-instated.

Where as in general society we have advanced to the point where its more socially acceptable to be gay than a dog killer.

In 100 years people will look back at this and just shake heads in disappointment. Because it could be seen as if you kill animals you will get the chance to work your way to a $100 Million contract, but if you are gay you will need to fight your ass off to get a change to showcase potential talent. [I know its nowhere that simple, but in 100 years it might be looked back at in that way.]

And it cant be easy for Sam to be put forward as the pioneer in the gay rights within the NFL, and i hope he is successful in the NFL, but when you hear the questions some draft prospects have been asked in the last few years it was always going to come out that he was gay before the draft.
If Vick was gay tho, I think people like Dungy would've worked to get them back into the game.
As in, that thing we often see....if a player is seriously talented, teams will tend to keep giving them more chances and put things into place to help/protect them.
Sam was a 7th rounder. If Sam was Clowney coming out, I'm sure it wouldn't have generated so much division of opinion on whether it's ok to draft an openly gay person (among players, HCs, GMs).

Again I agree with a lot of what you say. I wouldn't give a damn if the majority of any team I had were gimp wearing devil worshippers ( as long as they didn't human sacrifice anyone but the kicker and punter).

But there is an evolution of sorts in that the most NFL teams wouldn't care if you were a dog killer but they start being interested if you are a convicted dog killer who also is getting adverse media attention ( ie if killing dogs was seen as a good thing they also wouldn't give a damn).

Dungy has released a statement:

"On Monday afternoon while on vacation with my family, I was quite surprised to read excerpts from an interview I gave several weeks ago related to this year's NFL Draft, and I feel compelled to clarify those remarks.
I was asked whether I would have drafted Michael Sam and I answered that would not have drafted him. I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team. At the time of my interview, the Oprah Winfrey reality show that was going to chronicle Michael's first season had been announced.
I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunity to play in the NFL. He absolutely does.
I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not.
I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team. I would not.
I have been asked all of those questions several times in the last three months and have always answered them the same way by saying that playing in the NFL is,and should be, about merit.

The best players make the team, and everyone should get the opportunity to prove whether they're good enough to play. That's my opinion as a coach. But those were not the questions I was asked.
What I was asked about was my philosophy of drafting, a philosophy that was developed over the years, which was to minimize distractions for my teams.
I do not believe Michael's sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization.
I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction. Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction.
I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best in his quest to become a star in the NFL and I am confident he will get the opportunity to show what he can do on the field.
My sincere hope is that we will be able to focus on his play and not on his sexual orientation."

A view echoed on this site many times.

Another example of how if you are talented you get 50 million chances(from MSN):

"Cleveland Browns star wide receiver Josh Gordon has had a troubling offseason, but it appears as though it won't cost him his place on the team.
Browns head coach Mike Pettine says the team has "no plans" to cut the Pro Bowl wideout and that he expects Gordon to report for training camp on Friday, The Plain Dealer in Cleveland reports.
"We're expecting him to report on Friday and be on the field,'' Pettine said. "We have no plans to cut him I know there's been a lot of debate over that, but I don't see us having that debate.''
Gordon is facing an indefinite ban for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy for at least the third time. Pettine said that he expects to hear something about Gordon's likely suspension in "the next 10 days to two weeks."
Gordon was arrested during the July 4 weekend for driving while impaired in Raleigh, N.C., with a blood-alcohol level of .09, which was above the state's legal limit of .08.
Gordon had a breakout season in 2013, leading the league in receiving yards (1,646) and receiving yards per game (117.6)".

Maybe. Maybe not. It's not like the Browns have other options.

But, would cutting him help his cause?
NFL teams have rarely been registered charities and often cut people in more dire positions emotionally.

NFL teams have rarely been registered charities and often cut people in more dire positions emotionally.

Not really my point.

In cutting Josh Gordon, he would have 31 other teams on the phone within 10 seconds. His signing would be made out to be the biggest thing ever, hardly the best thing for someone who has proven himself to be immature. Now, that would be an example of a talented guy getting 50 million chances. The Browns are keeping a talented player (good for them) but also doing right by Gordon by keeping him settled and in a program he knows with players that he knows.

Not really my point.

In cutting Josh Gordon, he would have 31 other teams on the phone within 10 seconds. His signing would be made out to be the biggest thing ever, hardly the best thing for someone who has proven himself to be immature. Now, that would be an example of a talented guy getting 50 million chances. The Browns are keeping a talented player (good for them) but also doing right by Gordon by keeping him settled and in a program he knows with players that he knows.
Look I agree with keeping him, he's not going to cost you a lot of money in rehab and if he's out anyway, you can develop another receiver or receivers and, if that doesn't work out, you get a damn good draft pick and if he doesn't come back, you haven't lost anything.
next year
But the only thing keeping him on a list is his talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bs2LSqRCQAAG-Om.jpg

What a gun.

An update on the Andre Johnson situation from the Houston Chronicle

"
Kennard McGuire, the agent of Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson, said Tuesday that he is in contact with the organization as the start of training camp approaches.

McGuire declined to directly address reports Tuesday that Johnson was recently seen at NRG Stadium.

“I am not refuting, confirming or denying any reports or stories,” McGuire said. “Per the (NFL) collective bargaining agreement, there’s a period in which veteran players are not allowed to participate or be in their team’s facilities and that period is as such.

“While I am personally in contact with the Texans organization, those conversations will remain between myself, the organization and Andre Johnson.”

ESPN reported Johnson made an appearance to learn the team’s offense. CSN Houston reported it was becoming “more likely” Johnson would attend camp.

A person close to the situation told the Houston Chronicle on Tuesday that Johnson’s reported appearance had no bearing on whether he attends training camp. Veterans are due Friday, with practice starting Saturday.

NFL Network reported that Johnson has been at the stadium a few times during the offseason. But a source told Rapoport, “It means nothing for camp.”

Johnson is the Texans’ all-time leader in receiving yards, receptions and touchdowns. He’s publicly been at odds with the organization since May and missed all of the team’s offseason workouts. The Texans can fine Johnson $30,000 per day once camp begins if his holdout continues."

Last edited:
Is it just me or are the politics of NFL just going crazy.

Superbowl hero David Tyree returns to the Giants to take a player welfare role. Good thing you might say except David has some views on homosexuals which shall we say, fly in the face of accepted opinion, and every social commentator ( who unsurprisingly for the most part don't have an interest in football) want him reeducated or non appointed to the role.

3 bits of news.

Sydney Rice retired because of concussion issues.

Ace Sanders got a 4 game suspension for substance abuse

Chris Kluwe is learning to shut his mouth

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Former Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe is backing away from his threat to sue the team over alleged discrimination - for now.
Kluwe vowed last week to sue because he was unhappy with the team's resolution of his complaint against special teams coordinator Mike Priefer for alleged anti-gay slurs.
The Vikings suspended Priefer for three games and made a donation to gay advocacy groups that was less than Kluwe wanted. He also accused the team of cutting him over his activism in favor of gay marriage in Minnesota, a claim the team denied.
Kluwe attorney Clayton Halunen said he and Vikings attorney Joe Anthony had both agreed to recommend to their clients that they continue settlement discussions. A Vikings spokesman didn't immediately return a call from The Associated Press.

Albert Breer suggests last night (our time) that there is a possibility that Belichick will try to trade or release Brady before Belichick is done in New England because Belichick wants to win a Superbowl without one of the "best QBs of all time".

This morning, NFL Network analyst Albert Breer went on the Toucher and Rich radio show to discuss Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. By the conclusion of that interview, several intriguing things were revealed about the potential timelines of Brady and Belichick with the New England Patriots.

Perhaps the most revealing thing came when Breer said, “One of the things that he’d (meaning Belichick) like to prove he can do is win a Super Bowl without having the benefit of having one of the best quarterbacks of all-time.” Breer even went on to say that Belichick will outlast Brady in Foxboro.

Assuming that these comments came from Bill himself, or at least someone close to him, they are some very revealing statements about Brady’s future potentially. Bill has said that he does not want to coach at 70 years old like Marv Levy did. This has caused people who cover the team to think that Brady and Belichick could both leave at the same time.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/...ations-could-soon-mean-the-end-for-tom-brady/

Seriously if you were browns gm you'd give Gordon another chance because he's so talented. You'd put things in place to help him get over his addiction etc. But if after 16 months he's still trouble you'd cast him off.

Carlton tried that with Fev!!

Didn't work out so well until we finally bit the bullet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back