Training Pre season training 2016 - Butterfly effect

Remove this Banner Ad

He's obviously going to be fit enough to play a quarter or so of preseason footy. He's been running for months.

What is there to gain from him playing?

He hasn't had full contact training, he hasn't been kicking, jumping, tackling, twisting, accelerating, stopping, etc all at once.

It seems like a pretty sensitive injury, I would have thought the best move was for him to get a significant block of full contact training before playing any game time.

What is there to gain from him playing?

He hasn't had full contact training, he hasn't been kicking, jumping, tackling, twisting, accelerating, stopping, etc all at once.

It seems like a pretty sensitive injury, I would have thought the best move was for him to get a significant block of full contact training before playing any game time.
Started running in september IIRC. The injury was a bone one, it's either healed or hasn't. We'll find out soon enough where he's at but I doubt a cameo shot would be an issue. I imagine it would be great for him though mentally.

He's obviously going to be fit enough to play a quarter or so of preseason footy. He's been running for months.
A consequence of the bone injury is that he lacks a serious amount of conditioning in his legs, particularly that one. Running in a straight line can't possibly replicate the stresses of change of direction and pace.

A consequence of the bone injury is that he lacks a serious amount of conditioning in his legs, particularly that one. Running in a straight line can't possibly replicate the stresses of change of direction and pace.
Eh, nobody is advocating him doing anything harmful, no idea why you guys are reading it like that.

Eh, nobody is advocating him doing anything harmful, no idea why you guys are reading it like that.
Playing contact sport is going to be harmful. Having him play NAB would be a vanity exercise at best. Waiting a few more weeks to play will be absolutely nothing compared to suffering a set-back by coming in too early.

Playing contact sport is going to be harmful. Having him play NAB would be a vanity exercise at best. Waiting a few more weeks to play will be absolutely nothing compared to suffering a set-back by coming in too early.
I'm not advocating he play, but if the club has him back in full training doesn't that mean he's ready to roll selection/form dependant? If he was still unavailable he'd be on a modified program yeah?

I'm not advocating he play, but if the club has him back in full training doesn't that mean he's ready to roll selection/form dependant? If he was still unavailable he'd be on a modified program yeah?
Yep. We are obviously talking about giving him a run early even if he's not likely in round one plans due to not being 100% match fit just to give him a taste of the big show after so long having to rehab. Nobody is advocating taking an injury punt.

I don't think it means he is walk up to Rd1 best 22. But if he's back with the main group (and he has been doing football work for ages even on a modified program) then he should be right for some NAB time. It's about giving him a taste of actual footy again.

Started running in september IIRC. The injury was a bone one, it's either healed or hasn't. We'll find out soon enough where he's at but I doubt a cameo shot would be an issue. I imagine it would be great for him though mentally.

Think it's a bit trickier then that, he had a bone graft.

Most clubs have a minimum amount of full training they'd want a player to get through before being available from memory.

I would be surprised to see him in the nab but it would be a very welcome surprise and fantastic for him. It's quite funny that he was probably the only person on the planet who would have had an issue with the abolition of the green vest. It would have been the perfect way to ease him back in.

Staff won't play him until he is more than ready. I reckon keep an eye out 1/3 to mid season for casey and maybe the last 5-6 games of afl if he is near ready. If he breaks down again I think he'll retire and become the next Jnr development officer or something like that.

I just find it a bit difficult to trust the staff when its the same doctors that completely failed to see he had redone the injury in 2014. It took Richmond's doc to see it.

I just find it a bit difficult to trust the staff when its the same doctors that completely failed to see he had redone the injury in 2014. It took Richmond's doc to see it.
Here's something we can all agree on. It all went to s**t when Misson made his play for total control of the medical team.

When he (Dave) has the title Elite Performance Manager you know he cared more about coming up with that then making sure a team can actually run out a game.

He is a toss, just like the diet the players went on .. where has that gone? Elite performance diet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had a couple of quality one on ones with Dave Misson and found him to be a fine chap. He and I were in agreement that the negativity of the fanbase was making the players eat too many comfort pies and that was effecting their ability to run out games.

When he (Dave) has the title Elite Performance Manager you know he cared more about coming up with that then making sure a team can actually run out a game.

He is a toss, just like the diet the players went on .. where has that gone? Elite performance diet

Pretty sure they're still on that diet.

Plus a lot of the world's athletes.

This post is one of the most brilliant things Ive ever seen. Including the time I saw a unicorn.

Was this the unicorn?

ZmT07VB.jpg

Was this the unicorn?

ZmT07VB.jpg
You realise that you were Photoshopping Jesse Hogan's face onto a Unicorn at around 1am on a Tuesday morning.

You realise that you were Photoshopping Jesse Hogan's face onto a Unicorn at around 1am on a Tuesday morning.

Two assumptions, my feathered friend:
  1. That I'm on the east coast.
  2. That this is a photoshop, and not an actual photo of the exceedingly rare Hogancorn in the wild.

I got down to Gosch's Paddock for about an hour and a half this morning and thought I'd put up some brief points. Apologies that they won't be anywhere near as insightful as tasmanlvr or as entertaining as Proper Gander. :$
  • As reported elsewhere, Trenners participated in the earlier drills with the main group before peeling off to do some kicking with Oliver folllowed by tapwork drills with the younger talls as their tap target, then a pretty good workout with Crossy and two other trainers. I thought he looked good - his skills looked sharp and he was moving well!
  • Viney buried TMac in an overly rough tackle - guy needs an off switch - during one of the drills that led to about 20 seconds of argy-bargy. TMac was pulled from the drill to do a one-on-one marking contest with Hogan, who he monstered to get the mark, before returning to the main group.
  • Watts and Petracca were quite chummy as part of the re-hab group that included Lumumba, Salem... not sure who else, they were mostly wearing caps and around the oval from me. Petracca is a big unit! These guys spent much of their time in boxing drills before calling it early. Watts was very vocal including a shout of "Still got it, Trenners!" while Trenners was in the main group drill.
  • Oliver was running some hard laps and looking pretty trim. Salem followed with some laps as well, but at about half the pace.
  • Hulett is massive and looks ready to go, while Weideman is going to take a fair bit more time.
  • Dawes, Weid and Mitch King were doing one-on-one marking drills for quite some time and Dawes was owning them. He was giving them a fair bit of instruction too and I felt like shouting out for them not to listen to him.
  • Hogan was doing a lot of solo stuff with the coaches on his patterns and so on. He joined the match sim. towards the end of the time that I was there and took about 3 strong marks.
  • Overall I was most impressed with Dunn, Viney, Tyson, Gawn, ANB and Bugg. They were in everything, particularly Bugg, I reckon he'll be a big in for us this year. Didn't notice much of VandenBerg, Harmes, BenKen, and others - They were there, but didn't impact me.

I posted this in the Gawn Thread, but I'll post it here too.
From the AFL.com.au

MELBOURNE ruckman Max Gawn looks well placed to build on his breakout 2015 campaign, continuing his fine pre-season with a standout display in the club's match simulation at training on Tuesday.

The 24-year-old was a constant presence during the hour-long scratch match, with his ability to get from contest to contest particularly noteworthy.

Gawn's endurance appears to have gone to a new level this pre-season and it showed out in his battle with Jake Spencer.

Gawn worked forward and hauled in a couple of big pack marks inside 50, but equally impressive was how he ran back to support the defence.

He has been working hard on his craft with ruck coach Greg Stafford and looms as a vital player in Melbourne's setup this season.

Midfielder Jack Viney was also prolific through the midfield, winning the hard ball as well as using the ball smartly.

Angus Brayshaw won plenty of the footy and third-year youngster Jayden Hunt, who is finally injury-free, displayed his breakaway speed on a number of occasions.

Lynden Dunn was often the linkman from defence, while Sam Frost trained as the club's second tall forward option alongside Jesse Hogan.

In a positive sign for Demons fans, Jack Trengove joined the main group for non-contact training earlier in the morning as he continues his comeback from a long-term foot injury.

Melbourne is hopeful the former co-captain can return to full training next week.

Senior assistant coach Simon Goodwin was especially vocal throughout as the session focused on defending repeat inside 50s.

The training session ran at a high intensity and the players were charged up, emphasised by an incident between Viney and McDonald.

McDonald took umbrage at Viney's dumping tackle during an earlier drill and the pair had to be separated after some push and shove and an exchange of words.

The session continued without further incident, but it showed the eagerness of the players to get into the season proper.

Draftee Clayton Oliver and small defender Christian Salem ran laps around Gosch's Paddock, while reigning best and fairest winner Bernie Vince was absent.
[quote/]

lol, They've already edited the story!

Here's the new version.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-09/max-gawn-goes-to-another-level-in-melbourne-match-simulation
MELBOURNE'S Jack Viney and Tom McDonald engaged in a push and shove and an exchange of words in a spirited training session at Gosch's Paddock on Tuesday.

The session, which included an hour of match simulation, ran at a high intensity and the players were charged up throughout, emphasised by the incident between Viney and McDonald.

McDonald took umbrage at Viney's dumping tackle during an earlier drill and the pair had to be separated after things became heated.

The session continued without further incident but it showed the eagerness of the players to get into the season proper.

Ruckman Max Gawn looks well placed to build on his breakout 2015 campaign, continuing his fine pre-season with a standout display in the match simulation.

The 24-year-old was a constant presence during the hour-long scratch match, with his ability to get from contest to contest particularly noteworthy.

Gawn's endurance appears to have gone to a new level this pre-season and it showed out in his battle with Jake Spencer.

Gawn worked forward and hauled in a couple of big pack marks inside 50, but equally impressive was how he ran back to support the defence.

He has been working hard on his craft with ruck coach Greg Stafford and looms as a vital player in Melbourne's setup this season.

Midfielder Jack Viney was also prolific through the midfield, winning the hard ball as well as using the ball smartly.

Angus Brayshaw won plenty of the footy and third-year youngster Jayden Hunt, who is finally injury-free, displayed his breakaway speed on a number of occasions.

Lynden Dunn was often the linkman from defence, while Sam Frost trained as the club's second tall forward option alongside Jesse Hogan.

In a positive sign for Demons fans, Jack Trengove joined the main group for non-contact training earlier in the morning as he continues his comeback from a long-term foot injury.

Melbourne is hopeful the former co-captain can return to full training next week.

Senior assistant coach Simon Goodwin was especially vocal throughout as the session focused on defending repeat inside 50s.

Draftee Clayton Oliver and small defender Christian Salem ran laps around Gosch's Paddock, while reigning best and fairest winner Bernie Vince was absent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back