Training Pre-Season Training, News & Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Said about a year ago. the dream was Paddy coming and also training Cocky to be like him. Now that the dream is real, I'm ******* stoked!
Cocky will be his own player.

Geelong make things pretty difficult. I have been kicked out 3 times in recent past. On two occasions nothing unusual was happening and the other occasion because a Skills/strategy session was going to start. Very happy to vacate on the one occasion but when training is just running, one on one drills , small group work etc whats the problem?

Scott said recently (international rules experience [I think]) that its almost impossible to keep intellectual property in house these days anyway [player and coach movement]. So what is an amateur going to spot and pass on the to world that will make a difference? Why not open up a small section of seating (where the gates have to be open anyway) for interested members? Ask them to leave if anything novel is to be enacted.

Reporting would be no different to what has occurred this year from Elderslie/College/ West KP. Just more regular. General interest stuff but enough for members /posters to have something concrete to work with - rather than argue over "thin air" all day long.

AFL has one huge disadvantage- the 4 months of nothing. Its enough to get me started on the EPL. I am hoping the move to Deakin goes ahead because then we should be in a position to see more training as it happens.
My folks once were going to Footscray to look at a car, for whatever reason the caught the train (they are in Ballarat)
Ended up there early so walked from the station and found themselves at Whitten Oval with the doggies training, Dad reckons they were just standing there for 5 mins having a look (couple in their late 50s, not taking notes/photos etc) and Ben Graham came over and basically told them to move along

Please explain....
He'll forge his own path and identity ... become his own player. Training someone in the mould of someone else is fraught with Danger (pardon the pun) and fruitless.

Besides that, Cocky is more explosive and possesses more speed. He will never be an 'inside' extractor and nor should he be trained in that manner. You utilise a players strength - in this case skill and speed - to the benefit of the side, not try and turn him into something in the hope he becomes the player you're after or based on another model.

My folks once were going to Footscray to look at a car, for whatever reason the caught the train (they are in Ballarat)
Ended up there early so walked from the station and found themselves at Whitten Oval with the doggies training, Dad reckons they were just standing there for 5 mins having a look (couple in their late 50s, not taking notes/photos etc) and Ben Graham came over and basically told them to move along

One of my favourite quotes (from Lee Child /Jack Reacher novels I believe , but it may have been someone else who originally said it) ...

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"...

Now its probably means different things to different people but it resonates with me that plans are hardly bulletproof.. in that plans are good and fine and maybe critical ..but when the rubber meets the road and the effluent hits the fan... plans may be as useful as a perforated condom.

I can remember someone saying something like (one of those sports quotes I guess) its OK for an opponent to plan , for them them to know what you're plan is but they still have to be good enough to overcome the game being played to your plan ...if its good enough , and you're good enough ..it matters for little.

So why the emphasis on the secrets ? I suspect its really an understanding that its so marginal between teams that the smallest advantage can be the winning and losing. Would Geelong worry about closed training if they played a GFL side every week?

Last edited:
He'll forge his own path and identity ... become his own player. Training someone in the mould of someone else is fraught with Danger (pardon the pun) and fruitless.

Besides that, Cocky is more explosive and possesses more speed. He will never be an 'inside' extractor and nor should he be trained in that manner. You utilise a players strength - in this case skill and speed - to the benefit of the side, not try and turn him into something in the hope he becomes the player you're after or based on another model.

Yes , no matter who Scarlo show his stuff to , they will not be him... or Otto with ruck duties or Blight as a coach... they may be shown and made aware of certain skills , but their talents will always mold them in a unique fashion. Skill is acquired , Talent is genetic

As a general note given the tone of recent posts, if there is something you see that is not the spirit of the board - report it.

I can't stress enough that the MODS don't read every single post and thread.
Personally, there are 2 threads I don't ever read as IMO they are rubbish and I want to have nothing to do with such oxygen thievery.
That is my choice - but if there is stuff going on there make us aware of it.

I'd much rather reject a report made with no basis for action than leave issues alone that result in quality posters not posting.
Go Catters

And when that was built with taxpayers $s it was supposed to be open to the local community

I think Cocky will be inside and out, he has a big core, will be like dangerfield in winning the pill then bursting away

I think Cocky will be inside and out, he has a big core, will be like dangerfield in winning the pill then bursting away
Yeah im of the same opinion. Im not 100% sure what he will be but he is not your simple outside runner. He has grunt and appears strong over the ball, has the competitiveness for in under too. He tackles with intent which I like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, there are 2 threads I don't ever read as IMO they are rubbish and I want to have nothing to do with such oxygen thievery.
That is my choice - but if there is stuff going on there make us aware of it.
Do we get a prize if we can guess them ?

One of them I reckon is the Chris Scott's coaching thread

He'll be a mixture of both, most certainly, but I feel he'll be best utilised on the outside bursting away from the contest with the ability to win his own ball when the need arises.

Nonetheless, we're going to witness something special I feel ... no bias either. :D

Last edited:

The 2 of them could work magic together though, Danger on the inside and Cocky on the outside. Hopefully they build a bond around having different but compatible roles.

The 2 of them could work magic together though, Danger on the inside and Cocky on the outside. Hopefully they build a bond around having different but compatible roles.
Totally agree! Even if results don't go to plan in 2016 and beyond we'll be an exciting club to follow for the next few years.

Cocky may be a year or 2 away from minutes in the midfield.

Caddy is one who can benefit from dangerfield but he also needs selwood fit and firing

Cocky may be a year or 2 away from minutes in the midfield.

Caddy is one who can benefit from dangerfield but he also needs selwood fit and firing

He may not be too. We may just have to wait and see.

Hard for second year players to play midfield but as you say may break through

Cripps did for Carlton a lot. Obviously completely different scenario as he was already so strong (just had to work on fitness, sort of like Cocky I guess) but Blues hardly had any midfield depth.

I can see Cocky going about 50/50 midfield/forward in games in 2016, most likely starting the game up forward before rotating through midfield :)

Hard for second year players to play midfield but as you say may break through

His reported 15minute running puts him in a good place to at least be considered. Cocky needs more Bread and butter to his game, less jam and cream..and if he can do that .. with gut running and work..he will demand midfield time. He is one of our most talented.. so it should not surprise that he is earlier than average.

The one area he can really help us is midfield goals. If he can finish his work.much like Varcoe used when at his best , we could have another player worth 15-20 goals a year.

Last edited:
Love Cockatoo...he's going to be a very good player no doubt. But he's very young, and in a young mans body. I hope his time in the middle is increased gradually over the season...he'll be better in 2017 I think....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back