Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Collins is going to have to learn a number of tricks to ensure that his mobility doesn't get exploited at AFL level. It's not horrendous but he's often going to be punching above his weight in this regard and it's going to be a learning experience for him to understand defensive craft at the top level. From all reports he was excellent when matched up against similarly athletic forwards but when forced to man average, yet more agile opponents, he struggled. He's not going to be allowed to play on the monsters every second of every game, he's going to have to rotate on and off and combat a range of opponents. At the moment it's asking a lot to expect him to come in and contribute to a reasonable standard immediately.

He will take time; there is a lot more to being a defender than having muscles. I would be fairly surprised if he played more than 7-8 games.

Remember Talia's older brother had his opportunities in his first year with Adelaide and had a red hot go...then went on to win the Rising star award....
Actually, he didn't play at all in his first year and only played 9 games in his second year. He won the award in his third year.

I think it's because of his size. How many 18 year olds weight 94 kegs and are that stacked? He's an absolute beast size wise. It's quite remarkable how physically developed he is. From reports, he is a good intercept mark. Undoubtedly, he will need time to work on the gameplan and get used to the speed of the game, which will take time and we will need to be patient with him. I think we will see him intelligently rotated and he'll get around that 10 game mark that we have seen from last year's debutantes.

For very young KP players to play seniors early requires more than just being physically advanced for their age. To play regularly at the top level, they would need to be athletically advanced as well. A pretty rare combination with big kids that are still just that...kids. We need look no further than Toyd to see that a youngster who is physically developed, and talented, is still not enough for them to perform at the highest level early.

Looking elsewhere among our youngsters, even mid types, it is easy to see that talent, athleticism and physical development is a rather rare combination at drafting.

I'd love to see Collins get a crack at some stage of the season, but can't see him playing more than a handful of games at most in '16.

For very young KP players to play seniors early requires more than just being physically advanced for their age. To play regularly at the top level, they would need to be athletically advanced as well. A pretty rare combination with big kids that are still just that...kids. We need look no further than Toyd to see that a youngster who is physically developed, and talented, is still not enough for them to perform at the highest level early.

Looking elsewhere among our youngsters, even mid types, it is easy to see that talent, athleticism and physical development is a rather rare combination at drafting.

I'd love to see Collins get a crack at some stage of the season, but can't see him playing more than a handful of games at most in '16.
Bit of a difference between Collins and Toyd, size wise. Especially with the reports of Toyd being somewhat overweight with GWS. I agree with your points, but think that Collins is a bit of an exception. He might not play as a full back on the monsters, but float around and play a role more akin to Wood's position.

How much do you think we'll see him? <5? Though we've got Adams as well, he should obviously be ready before Collins. Looking forward to it. I think we'll see some interesting rotation through there.

Bit of a difference between Collins and Toyd, size wise. Especially with the reports of Toyd being somewhat overweight with GWS. I agree with your points, but think that Collins is a bit of an exception. He might not play as a full back on the monsters, but float around and play a role more akin to Wood's position.

How much do you think we'll see him? <5? Though we've got Adams as well, he should obviously be ready before Collins. Looking forward to it. I think we'll see some interesting rotation through there.
Depends on injuries etc but I reckon 6-10 games between the two of them would be a good return. We'll have a better idea after the NAB challenge.

Depends on injuries etc but I reckon 6-10 games between the two of them would be a good return. We'll have a better idea after the NAB challenge.
Fair point dogwatch, i think North Melbourne picked up three KPD's two
years ago and they have combined for a total of zero games so far. In
saying that i am hoping to see a bit from both lads this year as they
are both more advanced physically than the North boys.

Yeah James at his size I'd be impressed if he earned 5 games. If he pushes his fitness levels up seriously during the year, and remains injury free, he could do the 5 and perhaps a few more, but if so it is likely to be in 2 or more stints, with more time @ Footscray.
I am not suggesting Toyd and Collins are in exactly the same situation, but without having seen a hell of a lot of him as yet, still both do tend to fit that young man/child build at similar ages. Besides few talls of any build only very rarely manage to establish themselves as regular first 22 performers straight off the bat.

Yeah James at his size I'd be impressed if he earned 5 games. If he pushes his fitness levels up seriously during the year, and remains injury free, he could do the 5 and perhaps a few more, but if so it is likely to be in 2 or more stints, with more time @ Footscray.
I am not suggesting Toyd and Collins are in exactly the same situation, but without having seen a hell of a lot of him as yet, still both do tend to fit that young man/child build at similar ages. Besides few talls of any build only very rarely manage to establish themselves as regular first 22 performers straight off the bat.
Yeah fair enough mate. Good points. Will take some time for him to get used to the pace of it for sure. We'll see if Roberts and Hamling can continue to improve and then Collins can come into the team more at his own pace, playing on a 3rd tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember Talia's older brother had his opportunities in his first year with Adelaide and had a red hot go...then went on to win the Rising star award....
Hardly played in his first 2 years and won the rising star in his 3rd year

Yeah he is. Funnily enough tho, he seems to have exactly the reverse problem of his 2 [ uncles ?].
He appears to be having difficulty putting on size/weight, rather than the complete opposite.
Maybe we need to get a few truckloads of Balfours and FUIC sent over.

It'll taste awful compared to the fare on offer in Melbourne, but it worked for Uncle Darren!
image.jpg

Good article on Stringer on the HSun website. Great to hear he hasnt missed a single session and in gias own words his tank has improved 10-15%. Crazy to think how much improvement he still has in him. Depending on how much midfield time he sees I'm calling 70 odd goals out of him this year. If theres any sort of player that will haul in a tally like that these days its someone who plays like Stringer. Starting to agree with the people who want him to stay forward, would only be chucking him into the guts when we need a clearance and were getting desperate for a spark in there. Still want him pushing hard up the ground though so exciting to hear his tank is getting to the level required.

Also in the article states were returning from the Sunshine coast with only Crammers, Rourke and Clay out of full training. Absolutely perfect position to be in to hit it hard over the next few weeks and then come flying into the season and get a good run on nice and early. So important to get that good start to the year and capitalise on the draw. If we can be sitting nicely after that stretch of Etihad games (and im expecting us to be) then our confidence will be up and the skys the limit for 2016. In all honesty I see no reason we cant finish top 4 and give the premiership a shake. In saying that I'd still be satisfied just to scrape into finals.

Good article on Stringer on the HSun website. Great to hear he hasnt missed a single session and in gias own words his tank has improved 10-15%. Crazy to think how much improvement he still has in him. Depending on how much midfield time he sees I'm calling 70 odd goals out of him this year. If theres any sort of player that will haul in a tally like that these days its someone who plays like Stringer. Starting to agree with the people who want him to stay forward, would only be chucking him into the guts when we need a clearance and were getting desperate for a spark in there. Still want him pushing hard up the ground though so exciting to hear his tank is getting to the level required.

Also in the article states were returning from the Sunshine coast with only Crammers, Rourke and Clay out of full training. Absolutely perfect position to be in to hit it hard over the next few weeks and then come flying into the season and get a good run on nice and early. So important to get that good start to the year and capitalise on the draw. If we can be sitting nicely after that stretch of Etihad games (and im expecting us to be) then our confidence will be up and the skys the limit for 2016. In all honesty I see no reason we cant finish top 4 and give the premiership a shake. In saying that I'd still be satisfied just to scrape into finals.

images

Maybe we need to get a few truckloads of Balfours and FUIC sent over.

It'll taste awful compared to the fare on offer in Melbourne, but it worked for Uncle Darren!
View attachment 213159
Darren Jarman was a great player, ahead of his time. If the Distributor or
(Declan Hamilton) is 20% as good we will have a good player, harsh photo
Ozil we all train off just a little you know.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back