Predict the 'break out' player of 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm so bored with offseason, allow me to predict another breakout player - dom sheed.
that was easy. feel much better.
he doesnt quite fit your criteria for 'breakout', but it seems he's going to break a few moulds this season.

I think a few maligned players like Ash Smith, Josh Hill, Jacob Brennan and Pat Mcginnity (nah just kidding) might prove some of the haters wrong this season under an coach and new gameplan, similar to how Priddis silenced his critics last year. They might not become "break out" players but it's definitely possible seeing them improve.

similar to how Priddis silenced his critics last year

606-fry-meme.png

I think a few maligned players like Ash Smith, Josh Hill, Jacob Brennan and Pat Mcginnity (nah just kidding) might prove some of the haters wrong this season under an coach and new gameplan, similar to how Priddis silenced his critics last year. They might not become "break out" players but it's definitely possible seeing them improve.

umm..what?? :eek:

We were carved by small quick forwards this year what
Alternatives do we have ? Butler

Major reason we "were carved by small quick forwards" was because if any side had such a player then Adam Sellwood was generally brought back into the side specifically to play on that player. Never quite worked out why our most cumbersome defender got regularly sent to watch the opposition's quickest forward.

We've been getting carved up by small forwards ever since I can remember. Since worsfold maybe.

My pick for break out player is yeo. Has been training in the midfield sounds like hes very highly rated

We've been getting carved up by small forwards ever since I can remember. Since worsfold maybe.

We've almost always had at least 1, often 2 real quality KPD's and our best mid/small defenders have usually been rebounding types like hart, McKenna, wirra etc not so much lockdown defenders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to throw a different one up there - Cripps.

Was pretty unconvincing at AFL level for most of 2013 but showed glimpses and finished the year strongly for East Perth. He became increasingly dangerous around goal and reportedly played well in the intra-club match this preseason. He probably lacked in skills and composure for the most part but I expect those to improve in 2014 and he'll potentially entrench himself in the 22 by the end of the season.*

*Preseason optimism at it's finest

Perhaps.

Although I still have nightmares about is being torn apart by Rhan Hooper and Jason ******* Davenport for s**t sake.

Can anyone recall the name of that Collingwood player who had 1 good game in his career and kicked 7 or something stupid against us? He was a floating flanker type, my have been of indigenous descent.

Edit: Andrew Tranquilli with 6 goals.

Last edited:
Just to throw a different one up there - Cripps.

Was pretty unconvincing at AFL level for most of 2013 but showed glimpses and finished the year strongly for East Perth. He became increasingly dangerous around goal and reportedly played well in the intra-club match this preseason. He probably lacked in skills and composure for the most part but I expect those to improve in 2014 and he'll potentially entrench himself in the 22 by the end of the season.*

*Preseason optimism at it's finest

Actually, given his age I think he's got a pretty good chance of getting a secure spot in the 22 in the next season or two. Has most of the attributes, I think even the experience he gained in 2013 made him a much better player and if he can improve that much again I think he'll be pretty handy.

Players who have proven they can play at this level and have the ability to become A graders or close to it :

Mckenzie (arguably already there)
Masten
Shuey
Selwood
Wellingham
Gaff
Darling
Hurn

Players who have ability but have not shown it regularly and I'd like to see step up because they've now been on the list for a while :

Brown
Sheppard
Schofield
Smith
Cripps

Young players who might get the opportunity to really shine this year :

Lycett
Tunbridge
Colledge
Hutchings

Really interested to see how Ellis and yeo fit in

And most of all I'm excited to see what sheed brings. Really like the look if him so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back