Predictions for our first 5 games

Remove this Banner Ad

5 - 0 Premiership favourites
4 - 1 Top 4 material
3 - 2 We'll play finals
2 - 3 50/50 to play finals
1 - 4 No chance to play finals
0 - 5 Buckley sacked
perfectly put.. although Buckley won't be sacked this year no matter what.... our prez has a bit too much riding on him for any hasty decisions there.

LOL how many of these prediction things do I see for all sports and all of them aren't even close.
No one has any idea we could be 5-0 we could be 0-5 who knows, I hate predictions like this especially so far away from the season.

LOL how many of these prediction things do I see for all sports and all of them aren't even close.
No one has any idea we could be 5-0 we could be 0-5 who knows, I hate predictions like this especially so far away from the season.

Wrong.

We've gotten 0-5 all the way to 5-0. So someone is bound to get it right

Gonna be out of the 8 for a while. Fremantle will pump us imo. Sydney away early will be tough to win. Richmond will be stronger and harder to beat. North Similar. Don't like it. Our backs wil struggle.

The first game against the Dockers is so crucial, if we can win that at absolute worst we will be 2-3 after 5 games and still in touch with the top 8.

If we lose to Freo though, then lose to the Swans we could be in for a long season.
Good post. Exactly how I see it.

I can't believe the general negativity around expectations for Collingwood in general and especially from our own supporters. In some ways it doesn't surprise we an we have become so influenced by the press and mass media who always espouse the short term view over the longer term in their desire to write fresh sensational material on a daily basis. It seems to pervade so many peoples thinking.

Collingwood had a poor 2013. According to popular think this can only mean we are on downward slope and have to do some sort of rebuild to be able to contend again. There seems to be little credence given to the thought a top list can struggle for a mixture of reasons in a given year but then return immediately to a powerful position. This is the likely path I see for Collingwood.

My reasoning is we still have the basis of our premiership team. 14 premiership players plus another in Clinton Young. The other major factor is the majority of the 14 players who played in our 2010 flag are now far better players now and very few have declined. We have turned over our list but so has every club over those four drafts since our last flag. Our change in personnel is no different from the main. We have regenerated as we must and appear to have done it effectively.

On this basis I can't see why people feel we have fallen so far so quickly. The HUN prediction basically has us out of the finals race after 5 rounds of the season. That is a spot generally reserved for bottom 4 teams. If Buckley takes us to that position then he should be questioned and consideration given to replacing him. It would be a massive fall for a young and powerful list that he inherited in 2012. It is only less than a season and a half ago Buckley had us sitting on top of the ladder and equal flag favs with the Hawks ( approx round 13 or 14 2012).

I am a Buckley fan and when I listen to bucks, Pendles or Maxy speak in the press I get a strong sense the group has a strong belief they can match it with anyone and are expecting a much better season in 2014 compared to 2013. This is where I sit. Those 1st 5 rounds I will be satisfied with a 4:1 result. They are all winnable. Freo we play in Melbourne, with a 3 week advantage in preperation for the 2014 season. We should be favoured to win. We have a great record at ANZ so it's a tough game but clearly winnable. I see no reason to rate the Tigers or North above us until they have some concrete evidence they have made some big steps. Geelong is 50:50. 3:2 is disappointing but not a disaster. 4:1 is the aim and 5:0 is ideal. Won't even consider 2:3 or worse

Gonna be out of the 8 for a while. Fremantle will pump us imo. Sydney away early will be tough to win. Richmond will be stronger and harder to beat. North Similar. Don't like it. Our backs wil struggle.
Freo in Melb will pump us? if that occurs we will be stuffed. Honestly if we are less than 2 - 3 finals May be a stretch

perfectly put.. although Buckley won't be sacked this year no matter what.... our prez has a bit too much riding on him for any hasty decisions there.
If we are 0-5 questions will be asked that's for sure. Hard to see Buckley keeping his job if we start like that. I'd be handing the reigns over to Rob Harvey until we found a new coach.

2010 all over again.

Etihad vs Freo has the same feeling about it, when the pies smashed the dogs in 2010. I see it going down the same way, this will set the tone for both teams.

Swans will beat the pies.

Pie's to beat the cats just.

Pies to humiliate the tigers by 60+ this game will be a huge believe game.

Pies to beat the kangas

4.1 with Buckley whipping the fans into a frenzy showing off new talent, with a view to fazing out true warriors by the years end. But this may have already happened last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think 3-2 is ok from that draw, I think we can be 4-1.

Sydney forward line will be a problem, Tippett flogged Brown last time at ANZ, I couldnt understand why Keefe was not on him. Really need to dominate the midfield so they don't get much supply. Positive our way is they can't stop Cloke.

Reid - Buddy
Keefe - Tippett
Brown - Reid
Goldsack - Goodes
Toovey - Jetta

I think 3-2 is ok from that draw, I think we can be 4-1.

Sydney forward line will be a problem, Tippett flogged Brown last time at ANZ, I couldnt understand why Keefe was not on him. Really need to dominate the midfield so they don't get much supply. Positive our way is they can't stop Cloke.

Reid - Buddy
Keefe - Tippett
Brown - Reid
Goldsack - Goodes
Toovey - Jetta
Looks a tough gig beating their tall forwards. A win against their mid fielders is a necessity if we are to have any chance of beating them. Don't like Reid on Frankilin cause he's lost this battle before.

My reasoning is we still have the basis of our premiership team. 14 premiership players plus another in Clinton Young. The other major factor is the majority of the 14 players who played in our 2010 flag are now far better players now and very few have declined. We have turned over our list but so has every club over those four drafts since our last flag. Our change in personnel is no different from the main. We have regenerated as we must and appear to have done it effectively.

I respect your opinion GC, and I hope you are correct. I think it is dangerous to use the number of premiership players still on our list as a reason why we are still top 4 material. Some of those players are on the edge of selection, such as Maxwell and Goldsack, whilst others such as Ball are nearing the end. Crucial elements of that 2010 side have gone and been replaced by some exciting youngsters and specualtive senior players, such as Young, White etc. Personally I think a slide is on the cards and I believe it will be a tough opening 7 rounds. Providing Bucks has the committment of the players I am happy to ride out the storm.

If we are 0-5 questions will be asked that's for sure. Hard to see Buckley keeping his job if we start like that. I'd be handing the reigns over to Rob Harvey until we found a new coach.
That's probably why you have absolutely nothing to do with the club or how it's run.. natural selection at it's finest :thumbsu:

Its best we play with our backs against the wall, its the Collingwood way....no one will pick us to do well with Shaw and Thomas leaving but I think we will surprise some.Mark my word we will beat Freo round 1.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If people think we are not are premiership threat is year then 0-5 or 1-4 might be the best thing that could happen for the longer term. It would encourage Buckley to fast track the next generation.

I respect your opinion GC, and I hope you are correct. I think it is dangerous to use the number of premiership players still on our list as a reason why we are still top 4 material. Some of those players are on the edge of selection, such as Maxwell and Goldsack, whilst others such as Ball are nearing the end. Crucial elements of that 2010 side have gone and been replaced by some exciting youngsters and specualtive senior players, such as Young, White etc. Personally I think a slide is on the cards and I believe it will be a tough opening 7 rounds. Providing Bucks has the committment of the players I am happy to ride out the storm.

Probably should have fleshed out my reasoning a little more. It's not only having the 14 flag players but where they have evolved to. Our 5 most important players are Swan, Pendles, Cloke, Reid and Beams. 4 of them are considerably better players than they were in 2010 and the other Swan has maintained his output. The 4 are in the prime years of their career. They are our centrepiece. Then Sidebottom, Blair, Caff, Brown, Toovey and Goldsack are all improved players. Harry has maitained his form while Maxy definitely and Ball probably are not the players they were. It means our nucleus of layers remaning from the flag team have improved. Add the names Grundy, Fasalo, Keefe, Elliott, Thomas, Seedsman, Adams, White, Young, Lynch, Dwyer, Wtts and Kennedy to replace Dawes, Wellingham, Brown, Davis, Shaw, Thomas, Jolly, Tarrant, Krak, Didak and Johnno from the 2010-11 teams and there is a least some semblence of a workable core of 27 or so players without considering the likes of Broomhead, Scharenburg, Freeman, Karnesis , Martin, Frost, Mooney et al.

My point is in 2010-11 we had what was considered a young hugely talented list. While there have been changes there is still a very strong core that is at its peak. If as you state we are now to slide out of the 8 and into the region of struggling clubs it's a massive slide from where we were. If that happens I would have to ask why Bucks has engineered such a fall. It wasn't something I was contemplating when he took over. We have too many top players to slide. All of our big 5 can be top 20 players at their best and top 10 with excellent seasons. That is huge top end talent we cant waste by sliding. I think we are a much bettr side than most here would have it. We had a bad year in 2013 the 1st for a while. 2012 was wrecked by injury. I want top 4 this year assuming a good injury run.

If people think we are not are premiership threat is year then 0-5 or 1-4 might be the best thing that could happen for the longer term. It would encourage Buckley to fast track the next generation.
Trouble with that argument for mine is the current peak generation is a once in 50 years list at Collingwood. We cant waste that. 0-5 or 1-4 is an absolute disaster. If that occurs I fear we will be many seasosn away from contending again and Buckley will have dismantled the best list I have seen at Collingwood. As I have said I think that idea is the furtherest thing from Bucks mind. He is thinking a top 4 finish for 2014 and then you go for the flag.

Premiership players in their prime

Backs
Brown Lumumba
Toovey Goldsack

Mids
Pendlebury Beams
Sidebottom Swan

Forwards
Blair Macaffer
Cloke Reid

Past Prime
Ball Maxwell

Trouble with that argument for mine is the current peak generation is a once in 50 years list at Collingwood. We cant waste that. 0-5 or 1-4 is an absolute disaster. If that occurs I fear we will be many seasosn away from contending again and Buckley will have dismantled the best list I have seen at Collingwood. As I have said I think that idea is the furtherest thing from Bucks mind. He is thinking a top 4 finish for 2014 and then you go for the flag.

I am not suggesting it is a strategy but a potential positive that could come from a bad start. if we are to contend this year it will be because players like White, Karnezis, Sharenburg, Freeman, Broomhead push out players like Lynch, Goldsack, Maxwell, Blair, Sinclair through superior form. These are the players of our next premiership. Like 2010 it is the players that you replace that are important and the form of their replacements.

PS. Don't agree with your 1 in 50 years assessment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back