Preview Preliminary final - Hawthorn v Port Adelaide, MCG, 20 September 2014 @ 4.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on. Equal with Carlton on 12 (the Blues won a flag in 1915). We'd take outright #1 in 2015 assuming the Blues don't salute.

Since 1925 we're joint #1

Hawthorn , Carlton , Melbourne 11
Essendon 10
Collingwood, Geelong 9
Richmond 8
Fitzroy 8
South Melbourne / Sydney, West Coast, Brisbane Lions 3
Adelaide 2
Port Adelaide, St Kilda, W Bulldogs 1
Brisbane Bears, Fremantle, University, GWS 0

Could be a topic worthy of taking to the Bay :thumbsu:

I think we might also be equal with Essendon (if we win), who have won 12 premierships since 1923.

EDIT: As well as Collingwood who have won 12 since 1917.

Last edited:
Mate, that undersells Sandilands. He has spent his career tapping the ball down the throats of his on ballers. You need to play a ruckman who is not afraid to jump into him and try to negate this. And then that guy has to run off him all day.
This!! The purpose of bringing McEvoy in would have been to use him as a battering ram and stop Sandilands giving them clean possession, not to stop him winning the tap out. Sydney did it very effectively in the QF, which played a big part in their victory, and Lobbe outplayed Sandilands in the second half, which none of our Ruckmen have the skill to do.

Choosing the right ruckmen to prevent Lobbe giving Port first use is a key.

i have been trying to keep myself out of the hype this week so far but i had to ask - has the putrid, pathetic, just plain DUMB timeslot of this game been discussed ??
I cannot for the life of me understand ANY of the logic behind it

Not content with completely farking up the price of food, ticket pricing, game scheduling, the MRP and god knows what else this year the AFL wanted one last monumental utensil up. I give you a twilight final.

I cannot go because of the time slot. It is the dumbest time slot imaginable. You cannot do anything in the afternoon due to the early start. It wipes out your night due to the late finish.

It is infuriating. But of course for the AFL it is all about the fans :rolleyes: Piss off it is. Idiots.

EXACTLY!!!!! Man I cant believe some of the talk on here about Port getting the jump. Just not going to happen. Port have no idea what is coming, just like Freo in last years GF. I have said it earlier, if you seriously think that we are going to let Port do what they want, as Rich and Freo (2nd half) did, then you know nothing about the HFC Im afraid.

Just remember for Port to score they actually need to get the ball and our inside mids and more mature bodies will bash and crash the Port bodies. This means, that Port are starved of the ball and, well, are stuffed!!

It's all media beat up people, I don't think the club is thinking anything like that at all, i'm not!

i have been trying to keep myself out of the hype this week so far but i had to ask - has the putrid, pathetic, just plain DUMB timeslot of this game been discussed ??

Ticket Sales are tracking very well for this game so the AFL will use it, as it did for the 2012 Preliminary Final against Adelaide, to justify its inclusion in the fixture moving forward.

The AFL want to position 4.45pm to be the new 2.10 Saturday Afternoon slot...

The normal 2pm ish start would have been fine, Strange slot the COLA's will be cozy & watching from their loungerooms of course.

Hurry up thursday night I want to see the team sheet.
Reckon Cyril is better than 50/50
I can't really see us making sweeping changes to play Port so only other in I could see is Suckling for more run.

If either of those blokes come in someone will be unlucky maybe Simpkin or Doc, I just feel Spangher will stay for structure

Kochie was baffled when asked. Would clearly rather a day game also.

Not content with completely farking up the price of food, ticket pricing, game scheduling, the MRP and god knows what else this year the AFL wanted one last monumental utensil up. I give you a twilight final.

I cannot go because of the time slot. It is the dumbest time slot imaginable. You cannot do anything in the afternoon due to the early start. It wipes out your night due to the late finish.

It is infuriating. But of course for the AFL it is all about the fans :rolleyes: Piss off it is. Idiots.
i just dont get why there has to be a loser in terms of preparation - they were only a few % above us , why not make it as even as possible !
Heck they are interstate so we could play on the same day at the same time if they really wanted it to be even ! But ofcourse then they wouldnt make as much almighty dollar wouldnt they

Yep McEvoy can run all day but he is a lumbering Ruckman. The fact that Hale, the preferred ruck forward when in form, is also a lumbering type means it is hard for the MC to select both of them in the same side, especially against a quicker side.

I think while Hale is the ruck / forward, it makes it hard to justify McEvoy unless he gets a little quicker or nimble. That's part of the reason I hope we can keep hold of Lowden. Very mobile and quick but has the size and ability to also be a no.1 ruck. I would be surprised to see McEvoy come in this week against Port, or next week if we make it against the Roos. He might come in if we got through to play the Swans possibly.

I think Cegs is in trouble if the Roos get through. Goldstein killed him last time we met the Roos. He was consequently dropped. If the Roos get through I think McEvoy will pull on the boots. I like Cegs v the Swans though. As for this week I am not too sure which way to go, I believe both could give a good account of themselves.

Is the fire burning in McEvoy's belly a bit more after being left out of the Saints 2010 GF side (twice - aged 21 at the time)?

i just dont get why there has to be a loser in terms of preparation - they were only a few % above us , why not make it as even as possible !
Heck they are interstate so we could play on the same day at the same time if they really wanted it to be even ! But ofcourse then they wouldnt make as much almighty dollar wouldnt they

I have been asking the same question. They may as well be making us play on bloody Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The normal 2pm ish start would have been fine, Strange slot the COLA's will be cozy & watching from their loungerooms of course.
Yes, but that is because they finished first, isn't it?? Wait..... wuh??? There is no way the AFL will don anything to disadvantage the Swans. And nor should they, big investment they have made, why wouldn't you do whatever you could to make it pay off? Any advantage the Swans can get that can be explained away as something else, regardless of how feeble it is, will be used. As I said earlier, if you guys end our season please make sure you win the bloody thing.

I think Cegs is in trouble if the Roos get through. Goldstein killed him last time we met the Roos. He was consequently dropped. If the Roos get through I think McEvoy will pull on the boots. I like Cegs v the Swans though. As for this week I am not too sure which way to go, I believe both could give a good account of themselves.

Is the fire burning in McEvoy's belly a bit more after being left out of the Saints 2010 GF side (twice - aged 21 at the time)?

Hale was the main ruck during that 10 minute period we conceded 6 goals.

Ceglar was up forward.

Watch it again...Hale cost us that game

Mate i was fuming because we were doing alright then Hale kept getting belted in the middle. The umps also cost us massively. Worse than goldspink in 2001
The umps turned the momentum and really sparked the Roos and frustrated us at the same time. They cause a MASSIVE momentum shift with about 3 shitty free kicks. Unfortunately that says something about our mental state sometimes and the Roos do try to get under our skin.

The umps turned the momentum and really sparked the Roos and frustrated us at the same time. They cause a MASSIVE momentum shift with about 3 shitty free kicks. Unfortunately that says something about our mental state sometimes and the Roos do try to get under our skin.

It was also Clarkson's first game back in the chair. At that stage Clarko was on a three game losing streak as coach...

How slow is this week going??? :eek:
It's not even hump day here! Hurry up already Saturday!

In terms of being accurate in front of goal early, I hope the team can create some chances closer to the big sticks. It would certainly help on the accuracy front (maybe even a few cheapies over the top). Then again, if players get the yips, doesn't matter where they are kicked from I suppose.

I pray we have a first quarter like the round 3 clash against Fremantle. That would be nice!

Yeah there was that play near the boundary line where Mitchell got mauled and we kept getting pinged. Probs ruined it all

15000 Port supporters have tickets....please Melbourne Hawks rock up and drown the feral campaigners out. You have no idea what it will be like for the next 6 months if Port get up

Spot on. Equal with Carlton on 12 (the Blues won a flag in 1915). We'd take outright #1 in 2015 assuming the Blues don't salute.

Since 1925 we're joint #1

Hawthorn , Carlton , Melbourne 11
Essendon 10
Collingwood, Geelong 9
Richmond 8
Fitzroy 8
South Melbourne / Sydney, West Coast, Brisbane Lions 3
Adelaide 2
Port Adelaide, St Kilda, W Bulldogs 1
Brisbane Bears, Fremantle, University, GWS 0

Could be a topic worthy of taking to the Bay :thumbsu:
Let's just wait a week or two at least

Sorry for the intrusion. I have a query you may be able to help with (not jumping the gun but getting prepared). Based on last two years, do you know if it is possible to upgrade a junior/concession GF ticket on the day to an adult ticket?

I have a Priority 1 family membership (2 adults, 4 junior) but if it's a North/Hawthorn GF I may wish to get more than 2 adult tickets for Hawks-supporting family members. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back