2nds Preliminary Final: Port Adelaide vs South Adelaide - @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Flynny was much more composed this week. Knew when to go and stay and didn't waste the ball.

Byrne-Jones was alright, found a bit of it and still showing plenty of dash late in the year.

Ah Chee has kept up a good standard in the midfield, had touches and picked up a few good clearances. A good pre-season, put on a few more kilos and he could be a good tall X-factor mid/medium forward.

Mentioned Sammy Russell a few pages back but Ranga reminded me, liked what I saw of him, goes in real hard and reads it well.

Impressed by Mitchell's run. Plenty of times he would be at half back then be contesting well within our attacking 50 straight away. I really want Flynn to make it but he has a looooong way to go IMHO. Decision making a real issue but hopefully another year in the snafl will fix that.

On a side note there were some really embittered angry south supporters when it, well, went south for them (pun intended). Watching this ~9 year old kid in his panthers guernsey with his foul mouthed aggressive beer drinking dad just made me sad.

Then every no afl in sanfl comment just made me want to bury them and norwood. Bring on Sunday!

we only had 2 free kicks in the first half and 8 for the match. 15-8.
Yeah I'll side with you rather than rogerjames on this. Umps did a generally good job but did that annoying thing where a tripping decision (for example) was paid to South but then not to us. The 50/50s went decidedly to South.

The throw paid against us in the scoreboard pocket in the last quarter made me chuckle.

Only coz a South player blatantly threw the pill seconds before.

Play on!

On a side note there were some really embittered angry south supporters when it, well, went south for them (pun intended). Watching this ~9 year old kid in his panthers guernsey with his foul mouthed aggressive beer drinking dad just made me sad.

Was this the geezer up the back behind our race who was mouthing off all first half about how we were a joke for a AFL players, etc, etc. A few of our boys gave him an absolute gobfull reminding him that South haven't won feck all for 50 years. The bloke's face was priceless in the 2nd half as we ran over the top of them. Games aren't won at Half Time!

Last edited:
Was this the geezer up the back behind our race who was mouthing off all first half about how we were a joke ....!
How long do you have to follow footy before you learn to watch for the karma bus? Mouthing off is for late in the final quarter with a 4 goal advantage.

How long do you have to follow footy before you learn to watch for the karma bus? Mouthing off is for late in the final quarter with a 4 goal advantage.

Particularly when you're a South Adelaide supporter, I mean come on, 50 years and you've won nowt. Not in any position to say anything.

There was a huge South guy that apparently a Port lady claimed he called Mitchell a queer. Nevertheless he was very loud and very BIG! He was at Mitchell all day.

I went walking to the toilet and a South supporter yelled into my ear "cheats" but another South supporter had a go at him anyway.

Was this the geezer up the back behind our race who was mouthing off all first half about how we were a joke for a AFL players, etc, etc. A few of our boys gave him an absolute gobfull reminding him that South haven't won feck all for 50 years. The bloke's face was priceless in the 2nd half as we ran over the top of them. Games aren't won at Half Time!
Different one by the sounds of it. I quite like south - unsuccessful plucky underdogs and all but there were more than a few there yesterday that made them very hard to like. Winners are grinners tho :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also just love Sammy Russell, a little wrecking ball we have to work with there!

Gee ... interesting to read this. I've yet to meet a supporter that has this view about him. Those I have spoken with don't feel that he's up to sanfl league level. Yesterday his first effort at the ball was like he was afraid to go near it. Eventually he worked his way into the game a bit and went into the contest, which was good to see. Personally it was an average performance from him overall but it was his best for the season. He's been really poor in the backlines though. He wasn't played last week due to form, not injury.

Amon just looks like he will fit into AFL, pick 68 could be the steal of the draft.

That kick to Stewy in the 3rd quarter was sensational. Took the mark, quick kick to the Half forward line, no breaking of stride, goal.

A site to behold.

Bizarre sooks by some South fans post-match.

Must've bought into the whole "doing it for the integrity of the SANFL" crap that a-lot of neutrals were pushing all week.

They were pushing it like street corner crack dealers.

Once you take that first hit...

Gee ... interesting to read this. I've yet to meet a supporter that has this view about him. Those I have spoken with don't feel that he's up to sanfl league level. Yesterday his first effort at the ball was like he was afraid to go near it. Eventually he worked his way into the game a bit and went into the contest, which was good to see. Personally it was an average performance from him overall but it was his best for the season. He's been really poor in the backlines though. He wasn't played last week due to form, not injury.

A 18 year old playing his first league Final, knowing Jake Johansson is hot on his tail. When he worked into it he was solid, I thought.

It has been the theme for the season, you should have been at Unley or Prospect. Mind you the calves have been copping it too.

Oh, I know. Sturt and North fans can be an acquired taste at the best of times.

Every thread on another site degenerates into "No AFL in the SANFL."

Saying the same crap in different ways over and over again...

... Saying the same crap in different ways over and over again ...
At least they can convince themselves there's a reason they're not there this year. They had nothing to blame for that pre-1997. And 1997-1999 when the Maggies were running on change found under sofa cushions we still made all 3 GFs, and won the last two.

Worth mentioning that this game was Stewarts 50th SANFL game.
I was going to click like but of course it's actually sad at this time in his career. Still the Chad Wingard haircut seems to be making a difference.

I was going to click like but of course it's actually sad at this time in his career. Still the Chad Wingard haircut seems to be making a difference.
I simply put him in the same class as Tommy Logan. Very handy depth that love playing for the club, too valuable to delist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back