Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad day for VAFA regarding its classification as just another metropolitan league by way of its involvement in the 2014 Metro Championships!If you lay down with dogs you will only catch fleas,fellas!To think that once upon a time this great competition offered players the chance of real All Australian selection playing against the best from NSW,ACT,QLD and VFA.These days they will have to content themselves by bullying suburban easybeats!(and grossly overpaid ones at that)

At least they put the VAFA in the number 1 ranking!

Sad day for VAFA regarding its classification as just another metropolitan league by way of its involvement in the 2014 Metro Championships!If you lay down with dogs you will only catch fleas,fellas!To think that once upon a time this great competition offered players the chance of real All Australian selection playing against the best from NSW,ACT,QLD and VFA.These days they will have to content themselves by bullying suburban easybeats!(and grossly overpaid ones at that)

we'll still be playing the country side every 2nd year like we do now, its just another title that the vafa will get you have

Finals time and it's very quiet on here!!

So Old Carey and Uni Blues are in B Section next year and the premiership race will see Xav's vs. SBMT and Old Scotch will take on Uni Blacks who they just belted.

I'm going to tip a Xav's vs Scotch Grand Final with Xav's getting it done again

Finals time and it's very quiet on here!!

So Old Carey and Uni Blues are in B Section next year and the premiership race will see Xav's vs. SBMT and Old Scotch will take on Uni Blacks who they just belted.

I'm going to tip a Xav's vs Scotch Grand Final with Xav's getting it done again

Great prediction. Seems that Uni Blacks can't handle the larger grounds with such a tall team. Elsternwick park won't help their cause.
Will be a cracker of a game between StBedes and Old Scotch, but regardless of who wins surely no one can take down Xavs.

haha probably shouldn't write off the Black or SBMT that easy, SBMT have a good record against Xav's and will probably go in pretty confident!

What's been the fallOut down at blues?

Will there be a mass exodus? Or are they sticking together?

As a neutral supporter was super impressed with the show that Scotch and Blacks put on today. A fabulous game, tight all day with great skills under immense pressure. Scotch will be absolutely gutted by this. According to one of their head honchos they were at full strength with only about 1 of their best 40 or so players unavailable. All there guns playing, 2 great coaches and the best list in the comp but out again in the first week of finals. Could be a while before they get a better chance to win a flag. On recent form I really thought they would give it a shake this year

A lot of talk about Bentick, Young, Summers etc being the best player in the comp. After watching today’s game you can add Adam Pattison to that argument. Can’t remember to many better individual games than this one.

Rather disappointing, I thought they were a very good chance to make it all the way through to the big dance given they smashed Blacks last week and they have a very good record against SBMT anyway what can you do!!

Great effort by Black this year, but neither them or SB will be able to get close to Old Xav's, they are a 6-8 goal better side than anyone!!

Rather disappointing, I thought they were a very good chance to make it all the way through to the big dance given they smashed Blacks last week and they have a very good record against SBMT anyway what can you do!!

Great effort by Black this year, but neither them or SB will be able to get close to Old Xav's, they are a 6-8 goal better side than anyone!!

Agree with all the above sentiments. A cracking game and Scotch will be devastated to lose with such a strong team on the park. Xavs just look head and shoulders above everyone else but if you make the big dance you just never know.

One observation from yesterday. Nothing against the players who could not have done much more or the club as a whole but some of the Scotch supporters got way ahead themselves. In particular the peanuts behind the goals whose abuse of the Blacks defenders would have made the mob from the Snake pit blush. They reserved most of their vitriol for #17 who spent a fair bit of time at full back early on.

Bet they felt like absolute idiots when the aforementioned # 17 went forward in the last quarter to kick the goal that took the lead and then follow up with another to extend it a few minutes later. He would have been quite within his rights to run full length and give those tools a very sharp reminder of the end result.

Do you really need a CV to go and have a kick of footy at a local club? Me thinks not just turn up and train, if you like it stay, if not move on and find another club, it's not that hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all the above sentiments. A cracking game and Scotch will be devastated to lose with such a strong team on the park. Xavs just look head and shoulders above everyone else but if you make the big dance you just never know.

One observation from yesterday. Nothing against the players who could not have done much more or the club as a whole but some of the Scotch supporters got way ahead themselves. In particular the peanuts behind the goals whose abuse of the Blacks defenders would have made the mob from the Snake pit blush. They reserved most of their vitriol for #17 who spent a fair bit of time at full back early on.

Bet they felt like absolute idiots when the aforementioned # 17 went forward in the last quarter to kick the goal that took the lead and then follow up with another to extend it a few minutes later. He would have been quite within his rights to run full length and give those tools a very sharp reminder of the end result.

I think there is generally some pretty good banter that comes from behind the goals at elsternwick park in September, often personal but most of the time in good spirits. But to hear it coming from the under performing Scotch mob is most humerous.

What was even funnier was overhearing one of their players talking about their chances of winning the flag at the footy last weekend. Obviously hadn't been at the club long to experience many years of under achievement.

Looking forward to the big dance in a fortnight. Both Bedes and Blacks have knocked of Xavs once each this year, so there has to be some belief going into the game.

I think there is generally some pretty good banter that comes from behind the goals at elsternwick park in September, often personal but most of the time in good spirits. But to hear it coming from the under performing Scotch mob is most humerous.

What was even funnier was overhearing one of their players talking about their chances of winning the flag at the footy last weekend. Obviously hadn't been at the club long to experience many years of under achievement.

Looking forward to the big dance in a fortnight. Both Bedes and Blacks have knocked of Xavs once each this year, so there has to be some belief going into the game.

This is just a pet hate of mine RM. Can’t cop that people think it is ok to abuse the blokes who are actually putting on the show for the rest of us for no other reason than they are an opposition defender. Really irks me that Reserves players seem to be the worst offenders. They should know better and respect those capable of playing at a level that they are not.

Just thankful that we don’t have alcohol as this multiplies the idiot factor x 50.

This is just a pet hate of mine RM. Can’t cop that people think it is ok to abuse the blokes who are actually putting on the show for the rest of us for no other reason than they are an opposition defender. Really irks me that Reserves players seem to be the worst offenders. They should know better and respect those capable of playing at a level that they are not.

Just thankful that we don’t have alcohol as this multiplies the idiot factor x 50.
JJ, agree with what your saying around the booze making it 50 times worse. Id like nothing more than a drink on a Saturday afternoon but happy to forgo given the problems it can cause.

However, as long as blokes aren't getting too personal and use proper language, refraining from four letter words I actually enjoy hearing some of the more clever sledges.

I was at the game on the weekend and although some of the things said to the blacks defenders were borderline, it's without doubt the blacks supporters were giving some constructive feedback to the Scotch defenders. I didn't hear anything I wouldn't want my mother to hear from this end, so I think it's all a bit of a part if it. The blokes are big boys, you need to learn to handle that on the field.

When all people can think to say is, "Oi, 27, you're a c**t" and those sort of things is when it's a problem.

Yeah I couldn't agree more, a bit of healthy banter is actually funny and I am sure the Blacks players wouldn't be too worried but if it's just foul language coming out then give it a miss!!

I think the VAFA have it wrong regarding the A Grade finals and the Woodrow Medal.

Next week, all other Grades will be off celebrating/commiserating their 2013 season and the last thing anyone would want to do is go to A Grade Woodrow medal or final.

Or is it another way to make A Grade even more elite and less touchable?

Need to keep them close together.

Just my thoughts.

I'm back off the the Premier B - 2014 Thread:D

Max "B in 2014" Leader

I think the VAFA have it wrong regarding the A Grade finals and the Woodrow Medal.

Next week, all other Grades will be off celebrating/commiserating their 2013 season and the last thing anyone would want to do is go to A Grade Woodrow medal or final.

Or is it another way to make A Grade even more elite and less touchable?

Need to keep them close together.

Just my thoughts.

I'm back off the the Premier B - 2014 Thread:D

Max "B in 2014" Leader

Have to agree Max. HQ seems obsessed with making the ‘A’ grade grand final much more than what it really is and has grossly overestimated its attraction amongst the wider VAFA community. For most of us our loyalties lie with our own club and generally we have but a passing interest in the other divisions. Of course some diehards get to as many games as they can but for most we just follow our own mob and switch off to some degree when our season ends. As I know quite a few people involved at both clubs I might get to the Div 1 GF but that would be it.

On another note ‘A’ grade was subject to a ridiculous stand alone bye in order to ensure the GF was on separate weekend from the others. On top of rep weekend and Queens B’day that created 3 byes in about 7 weeks. This was disruptive and unpopular with players, clubs and supporters. I wish they would just leave things as they are.

Woodrow Count – I guess they are trying to do the impossible and make this interesting but imagine sitting through that! No doubt clubs have been invoiced a certain number of tickets to subsidise the whole thing and will be stung whether they want to go or not.

Have to agree Max. HQ seems obsessed with making the ‘A’ grade grand final much more than what it really is and has grossly overestimated its attraction amongst the wider VAFA community. For most of us our loyalties lie with our own club and generally we have but a passing interest in the other divisions. Of course some diehards get to as many games as they can but for most we just follow our own mob and switch off to some degree when our season ends. As I know quite a few people involved at both clubs I might get to the Div 1 GF but that would be it.

On another note ‘A’ grade was subject to a ridiculous stand alone bye in order to ensure the GF was on separate weekend from the others. On top of rep weekend and Queens B’day that created 3 byes in about 7 weeks. This was disruptive and unpopular with players, clubs and supporters. I wish they would just leave things as they are.

Woodrow Count – I guess they are trying to do the impossible and make this interesting but imagine sitting through that! No doubt clubs have been invoiced a certain number of tickets to subsidise the whole thing and will be stung whether they want to go or not.

So I take it you wont be watching the A Grade GF for a while then Rooster??

Another missed opportunity at from the Dairy Bell Boys this season?

So I take it you wont be watching the A Grade GF for a while then Rooster??

Another missed opportunity at from the Dairy Bell Boys this season?

As an ‘A’ grade follower I might go but would be no certainty. My point was that the VAFA think followers of other grades have a keen interest in the top section. I beg to differ.

As for us – quite simply we were not good enough. With player losses over summer this was hardly a lost opportunity and I doubt many would have had us as genuine premiership contenders this year. Using 50 players did not help and maybe our depth was not as good as we thought. The gap between senior and ressies is widening IMO. The better clubs really exposed our lack of height.

We missed finals by half a game so with a bit of luck along the way and we might have been involved last weekend. However even at our best we are no match for Xavs at the moment. They look head and shoulders above the rest.

Lots too look forward to. A good young list and I reckon only 3 or 4 players off being a pretty good side.

Remember pre season being howled down in this thread when I suggested SBMT had plenty of upside in season 2013 and then again plenty had lots to say after Round 1 that they would be relegated.

What a performance to take Blacks today and set up a crack at the Flag next week.

All the expectations and no doubt everyone will be selecting Xavs so the shoulders will carry that little bit extra weight whilst the lads from Brindisi can just go for it.

OSOM

Remember pre season being howled down in this thread when I suggested SBMT had plenty of upside in season 2013 and then again plenty had lots to say after Round 1 that they would be relegated.

What a performance to take Blacks today and set up a crack at the Flag next week.

All the expectations and no doubt everyone will be selecting Xavs so the shoulders will carry that little bit extra weight whilst the lads from Brindisi can just go for it.

OSOM

Was certainly very premature of some to write of SMBT. Upon closer examination the players losses over summer where pretty much reserves players and while it meant that they could not field a 3rds and their 2s were ordinary it had minimal impact on the senior group (providing the list stayed healthy)

To a team that went close to playing finals in 2012 add players like Barnes, Tyquin, Mangoni, T & S Doherty, Shakib, McGettigan and others and you have a pretty formidable unit.

They did need a good run with injuries. I believe they used the least number of players in the seniors during the year. This was critical as their lack of depth might have really exposed them.

Well done to them. Good club, well coached and not afraid to play the youngsters. Really hope they get up next week but just cannot see that happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back