Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

\They won one flag..club xviii...that is my point...meaningless flag was the only thing they won last year..and didn't win the senior flag the year before(2011)...lost the unlosable unders flag this year..hardly 'freaks'

Poor old andy gowers,,,,how must he be feeling

Growler is an Old Xav. He'd be revelling and celebrating in it no doubt.
Hardly freaks? Been in 15 of the last 19 GF's. Winning 12. That's mega freak. They are a bunch of freaking freakoholics. Time to applaud and get over it!

DG-Man is a bit enthusiastic. No need to seek affirmation.
It was interesting that the umpires did not pay free kicks at the stoppages. As a result, Xavs monstered St Bedes and prevented their outside run and carry. It was a lesson in stoppage football. I don't know if the Xavs defence was overwhelmingly great but St Bedes found it so hard to put any scoreboard pressure on. They seemed to flounder up forward in both 2nd semi and this game.

Growler is an Old Xav. He'd be revelling and celebrating in it no doubt.
Hardly freaks? Been in 15 of the last 19 GF's. Winning 12. That's mega freak. They are a bunch of freaking freakoholics. Time to applaud and get over it!
Well we could be critical if we take away the 6 flags in a row they won they have only won 6 of the last 13, which is a paltry 45%!!! or if we were GOI they haven't won the flag in 7 of the last 13 years....wouldn't that be a terrible thing to deal with.

How would Old Xavs go up against the top sides from across Victoria like Vermont from the metro leagues and Eaglehawk from the Vic Country leagues if given the opportunity?

I think you'll find that most of the top sides in VIC would really struggle against the top amateur sides.

On a slightly unrelated note, i notice that D.Yze just kicked 136 goals in the WRFL this season (admittedly Division 2, but considering the bags he has kicked in other leagues over the years, is a good pointer again to just how tough Premier division is).

How big roughly was the crowd at yesterday's game?

I would have said about 2500-3000.

Xavs are an incredible football team. That was the perfect execution of the Ross Lyon game plan.

Not much St. Bedes could do. Chatting to Tommy Brain during the last quarter he seemed pretty positive despite the margin at that point.

DG-Man is a bit enthusiastic. No need to seek affirmation.
It was interesting that the umpires did not pay free kicks at the stoppages. As a result, Xavs monstered St Bedes and prevented their outside run and carry. It was a lesson in stoppage football. I don't know if the Xavs defence was overwhelmingly great but St Bedes found it so hard to put any scoreboard pressure on. They seemed to flounder up forward in both 2nd semi and this game.

I admire Xavs as a football club and the way they go about their business, on and off the field.
All congratulations to them.
They play a style of grab the ball, get tackled, go to ground and the Ump balls it up. Its been going on for years (previous posts on this site have alluded to it). Its a style they have developed and good luck to them, the umpires consistently turn a blind eye to it and they get away with it.
I am only answering an observation made by "Fairdinkum". It closes down the play and it just becomes "pack footy", no run. They have the size and talent to wear teams down.
Hey....nothing wrong with that if the judiciary (umpires) remain silent

"the umpires consistently turn a blind eye to it and they get away with it."
That is not how it worked. Xavs simply had numbers around the stoppages and monstered any attempt by St Bedes to get it to the outside. In AFL, umpires are more prepared to give a free against the player with the ball for not trying hard enough to get it out. Either team could have been penalised in this grand final but the result was more stoppages. It worked in Xavs favour, with bigger bodies, denying clear possession. Unlike Freo, Xavs were the highest scoring and as well as best defensive team in Premier.

"the umpires consistently turn a blind eye to it and they get away with it."
That is not how it worked. Xavs simply had numbers around the stoppages and monstered any attempt by St Bedes to get it to the outside. In AFL, umpires are more prepared to give a free against the player with the ball for not trying hard enough to get it out. Either team could have been penalised in this grand final but the result was more stoppages. It worked in Xavs favour, with bigger bodies, denying clear possession. Unlike Freo, Xavs were the highest scoring and as well as best defensive team in Premier.

Yeah fair call Dinkum, this year was probably there best scoring year. Clearly picked up some pace with youth. Previous years I dont think they were. Sure they would win, but they just ground teams down with support of inept umpiring. (not sour grapes, my club probably had the better of them over the last 3 years) In previous years after Handley, there werent a lot of multiple goal kickers or high winning margins / scores.

Another great win by Xav’s, congratulations!!

On a side note I actually went to watch the NFL Grand Final between Bundoora and Montmorency WOW what a different world that is!

They would have had 6,000 – 7,000 people @ Preston Oval, great atmosphere but by 3q time things were getting pretty wild. Bundoora were down by 33 at 3q time then they kicked 9.8 (62) in the last quarter to nothing and ran out winners by 29 points. 2 of the players didn’t hear the siren and kept having a bit of a wrestle nek minute 200 people jumped the fence and had a good old fashion all in brawl after the game! The whole thing went for about 5-10 min with little spot fires everywhere, cops involved, people KO’d on the ground really messy stuff and another very valid reason why the VAFA’s no booze policy is a good thing!

Another great win by Xav’s, congratulations!!

On a side note I actually went to watch the NFL Grand Final between Bundoora and Montmorency WOW what a different world that is!

They would have had 6,000 – 7,000 people @ Preston Oval, great atmosphere but by 3q time things were getting pretty wild. Bundoora were down by 33 at 3q time then they kicked 9.8 (62) in the last quarter to nothing and ran out winners by 29 points. 2 of the players didn’t hear the siren and kept having a bit of a wrestle nek minute 200 people jumped the fence and had a good old fashion all in brawl after the game! The whole thing went for about 5-10 min with little spot fires everywhere, cops involved, people KO’d on the ground really messy stuff and another very valid reason why the VAFA’s no booze policy is a good thing!
Now thats what you call "crowd participation"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

youlike what a name....you must have a complex or something! but anyway ill answer the question no i dont like you or you insidious posts. you are an arrogant keyboard warrior that knows absolutely nothing about ammos footy. get off your high horse!! btw you toff, please explain to us all what your definition of bogan is? you must be from scotch because clubs like Xavs, Uni and Collegians would never mention this utter s##t. Which shows the class of there supporters and club.

sorry everyone else couldnt help not replying! How about we actually talk some footy instead of the terrible attempt at banter "youlike" is offering. Any word on player movements?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back