Premier A 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested to hear the talk down at DLS this week. Not an easy game to prepare for with so much going on with the opposition.

Got no issue with them taking steps to turn it around just reckon they should shut up until they win some games and stop sucking oxygen out of the rest of the competition. No other club President would be permitted to make these public announcements thru HQ the way Hunt has. Frankly, I'm crossing everything I've got in hope that De La do a number on them so we don't get a "Lazarus" article on the VAFA website at 5.15pm telling us all about it.

If they lose their 7th game this Saturday, will we get a two page spread?

COME ON BELLERS!!!

Clearly the so called media department from the VAFA has your ears listening and your eyes reading. So for your sake and your sake only, I hope it continues.

I think you will find that it was not a voluntary announcement, purely an announcement put through their club website which mind you went viral through all social media outlets. Should the president of any club be rung and asked about the happenings of their club then it is going to be published on the VAFA website. Especially when it’s a decent sized story about a powerhouse club.

Its actually quite good for the competition that its getting some free air time. Especially after the calibre of players from the top tier who exited to other comps at the end of last year.

If you have a chip on your shoulder about them getting more air time than your club, then maybe put your hand up and create your own story. Success would be a good start.

In response to your carry on. I hope the Xavs get up and here is hoping for a 2 page resurrection spread on Sunday. I am sure you will read it.

If you have a chip on your shoulder about them getting more air time than your club, then maybe put your hand up and create your own story.

No thanks - my club has had an even worse run with injured/unavailable players than OX this year (not that we would publish the fact thru the VAFA) and we haven't given our coach the bullet. ;)

Last edited:

I'd be interested to hear the talk down at DLS this week. Not an easy game to prepare for with so much going on with the opposition.

No different from any other week and to be honest I don’t think the players could really care less who is coaching them. Certainly our senior coach, who is not from VAFA circles, would be completely untroubled by all the fuss. One of the more relaxed and positive characters I have ever met. With the massive player absences this season at our club he has his own issues in pulling together a competitive team from week to week. I would suggest that would be more of a focus than what is happening at OX.

Its observer such as you and I that probably put more weigh on the “theater” of all this. I do know that Xavs have some big INS this week with more to follow. Shaw back from suspension and tipped to be joined this week by Kennedy, Goss, Lees and a couple of others. A few other handy types in the wings for the coming rounds also I hear.

6 wins probably sees you avoid the drop so they need to win 5 from 11. People forgetting the quality that they actually have had playing for them and sooner or later it will kick into gear. I still cant see them playing ‘B’ grade next year but it will be an interesting 2nd half of the season.

Oh pahlease, leave us Old Xaverians alone, it's not our problem that you plebs can't get any media attention.

Our new coaching structure will ensure that we go undefeated for the next 55 years, especially now that my personal fave 'Tizza' is back on board.

It's nice to see Patty 'Where have I been for 5 years' Hawkins back on board, one half of the uncommitted senior coaching couple that we have appointed.

Looking forward to us beating the poorest Catholic football club South of St Bernard's, hell everyone is poor compared to us.
Must go and sell some more commercial real estate, you know that's how we do it at Xavier.

See you Saturday at Entitled Oval, tootles!!!!

No different from any other week and to be honest I don’t think the players could really care less who is coaching them. Certainly our senior coach, who is not from VAFA circles, would be completely untroubled by all the fuss. One of the more relaxed and positive characters I have ever met. With the massive player absences this season at our club he has his own issues in pulling together a competitive team from week to week. I would suggest that would be more of a focus than what is happening at OX.

Its observer such as you and I that probably put more weigh on the “theater” of all this. I do know that Xavs have some big INS this week with more to follow. Shaw back from suspension and tipped to be joined this week by Kennedy, Goss, Lees and a couple of others. A few other handy types in the wings for the coming rounds also I hear.

6 wins probably sees you avoid the drop so they need to win 5 from 11. People forgetting the quality that they actually have had playing for them and sooner or later it will kick into gear. I still cant see them playing ‘B’ grade next year but it will be an interesting 2nd half of the season.

I think the coaching staff will pay them a little more attention than you give credit for. I've coached enough in A grade to know that it is exactly what i would be doing as part of my preparation; analysing the opposition. In this case, you have plenty of information about the coaching style of Lethers, to have an idea of the style of football that they will come out and play on the weekend, and how it may may differ from looking at the tapes of recent weeks..

I think we're all agreed that they won't be playing B grade next season. That just won't happen. Which of course turns the talk back to who will be going back to B grade next season. I still see SBMT and OB as the front runners.

I think the coaching staff will pay them a little more attention than you give credit for. I've coached enough in A grade to know that it is exactly what i would be doing as part of my preparation; analysing the opposition. In this case, you have plenty of information about the coaching style of Lethers, to have an idea of the style of football that they will come out and play on the weekend, and how it may may differ from looking at the tapes of recent weeks..

I think we're all agreed that they won't be playing B grade next season. That just won't happen. Which of course turns the talk back to who will be going back to B grade next season. I still see SBMT and OB as the front runners.
I'm reminded of Father Karras' line from 'The Exorcist"-'never,ever trust the Jesuits!'On a more practical note I would think the DLS coach would be acquainting his young developing team with the principle of imposing your will on your opposition.Now the 'jockeys' aren't going to do this by just brushing them aside so their only option is to send them into painful oxygen debt by relentless running/movement-a task made somewhat easier this week by a number of rusty/underdone inclusions.Crack those whips,(apprentice joks)!

Let's re-focus on footy........round 8.........for what it's worth - a crack at tipping

Game of the round (?) - Bernards v Beauie - I take my form line from H2 last round, when Beauie smashed Scotch.....Beauie in an "upset", which would be huge if they can win at The Snakepit. No idea why I am tipping against 3 from 3 home wins this season for Bernards - but I am.....

OB v OT - GF re-match, and many observers of B grade last season tell me OB "pinched" the GF from the better team all season, which probably really smarts for OT, PLUS the contrasting form lines thus far this season = OT's to win well

Scotch v Collegians - Collegians for me. Strung some good recent form of late. Scotch will try to bounce back, but they are losing me a little with their indifferent form.

St Bede's v Blacks - Blacks will win this by 10 goals plus.

And, finally, OX v De La - I'd love to be at this game. If history is any guide, then post the events of this week or so just gone, OX should win. BUT, De La beat a quality opponent last round and by all accounts were 1 of 2 teams in a very high standard, competitive game. So - I am going to go with De La in an UPSET.

On the back of my recent hot tipping form (1/5 last time), here I go again:

Brighton v Trinity - Trinity have a little edge over Brighton IMO. A grand final win gives a team huge confidence against their opposition.
SBMT v Blacks - It's close to that time where you win or get relegated for SBMT. Blacks dont play that ground well.
Scotch v Collegians - Collegians have been in good form but I think Scotch will be too good.
Bernards v Beauy - At the snake pit, Bernies will be too strong. Bernies still my fav for the flag
Xavs v DLS - Simply cannot afford to lose this. New coach rule comes into play, plus a swag of returns of high quality.

So besides Brighton, Im on the home teams this week. The response of Xavs will be the most interesting aspect of the round for me.

Takes Lethers 1 game and Xavs are already out of relegation bottom 2.
Fun while it lasted I guess...for some.

Takes Lethers 1 game and Xavs are already out of relegation bottom 2.
Fun while it lasted I guess...for some.
That said, 3 of the 7 goals kicked in the first quarter came out of their rear ends. Set the win up for them. An encouraging return to some form but I wouldn't be blowing the trumpet just yet.

That said, 3 of the 7 goals kicked in the first quarter came out of their rear ends. Set the win up for them. An encouraging return to some form but I wouldn't be blowing the trumpet just yet.

Came out of their rear ends....really? Most things Waller does would be the equivalent of other others rear ends. It's called class. No one is blowing any trumpets. Hawklean have been set a task and they ticked a box today. Next week will be another box to tick. Every week will be a battle but With Beetham, Darvell, Wynne, Kennedy, Larkins and possibly Goss to come in next week. It would be a good box to tick. 3-6 looks much better than 1-8. Here is hoping.

Only because....

I hope hedge fund enjoys his triple page spread tomorrow and with any luck the chip on his shoulder doesn't impede his bacon and eggs while reading.

Don't choke on you Benedict HF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came out of their rear ends....really? Most things Waller does would be the equivalent of other others rear ends. It's called class. No one is blowing any trumpets. Hawklean have been set a task and they ticked a box today. Next week will be another box to tick. Every week will be a battle but With Beetham, Darvell, Wynne, Kennedy, Larkins and possibly Goss to come in next week. It would be a good box to tick. 3-6 looks much better than 1-8. Here is hoping.

Only because....

I hope hedge fund enjoys his triple page spread tomorrow and with any luck the chip on his shoulder doesn't impede his bacon and eggs while reading.

P.s what's going on with number 4 for de la. temperature dropped at 3qt and needed the long sleeves? Clearly couldn't turn the heat up when it counted.

On the back of my recent hot tipping form (1/5 last time), here I go again:

Brighton v Trinity - Trinity have a little edge over Brighton IMO. A grand final win gives a team huge confidence against their opposition.
SBMT v Blacks - It's close to that time where you win or get relegated for SBMT. Blacks dont play that ground well.
Scotch v Collegians - Collegians have been in good form but I think Scotch will be too good.
Bernards v Beauy - At the snake pit, Bernies will be too strong. Bernies still my fav for the flag
Xavs v DLS - Simply cannot afford to lose this. New coach rule comes into play, plus a swag of returns of high quality.

So besides Brighton, Im on the home teams this week. The response of Xavs will be the most interesting aspect of the round for me.
4 from 5 - well done.

Most interesting to me in the Xavs result on the weekend was the very big 2nds win by Xavs over De La. As they get more quality on the park in the 1sts, those guys who have had valuable game time playing 1sts will strengthen their 2nds. A lot.

Most interesting to me in the Xavs result on the weekend was the very big 2nds win by Xavs over De La. As they get more quality on the park in the 1sts, those guys who have had valuable game time playing 1sts will strengthen their 2nds. A lot.
Standard on the 2's game was average at best.
Only Lees (gotta get a lot fitter) and Larkin would be capable of adding value to their 1's. Interestingly not one of Xavs 2's players are over 6"1'.
Xavs of old would have won the game by 20 goals.
De La of old would have won yesterdays game by 15 goals.

Max "Spy" Leader

Only because....

This was the only report I read - well done OX. I trust the players are pleased they got Dom Berry sacked.
What a massive waste!

How did they get him sacked?
What was said and by whom to who?
It is just way too difficult for any of us outside their club to add any value not knowing what happened at their club, and comments blaming the players are silly. What is clear is they will have a stronger squad for the second half of the season, and will have a significant impact on the make up of the top 4 and bottom 2 positions.

It is just way too difficult for any of us outside their club to add any value not knowing what happened at their club, and comments blaming the players are silly. What is clear is they will have a stronger squad for the second half of the season, and will have a significant impact on the make up of the top 4 and bottom 2 positions.

Correct. I was illustrating that they would have very little idea about not much.

Hol
P.s what's going on with number 4 for de la. temperature dropped at 3qt and needed the long sleeves? Clearly couldn't turn the heat up when it counted.
pritty easy to have a crack sitting in the grandstand maybe he couldn't turn the heat up because what I saw of the game we didn't get many inside 50s in the last qtr before you start having a go on a forum look at the goals colloum you'll see number 4 kicked 3 and was named in the best also to say he hasn't kicked straight this year and would be leading the Colman if he had so I'd be quite thanks mate

Hol

pritty easy to have a crack sitting in the grandstand maybe he couldn't turn the heat up because what I saw of the game we didn't get many inside 50s in the last qtr before you start having a go on a forum look at the goals colloum you'll see number 4 kicked 3 and was named in the best also to say he hasn't kicked straight this year and would be leading the Colman if he had so I'd be quite thanks mate

Educated at De La were we!:p

Possibly the longest single sentance I have ever read. But thanks for your insight there Monster. Very insightful.

I’ll try and put up a similar defence of the De La #4 but this time in English. The kid always plays in long sleeves so was a bit unusual to see him in a sleeveless on Saturday. Maybe when the heavens opened he felt he was a better chance of marking the ball with a long sleeve jumper on. Admit that it did look a bit strange but not the first time I have seen it happen. Don’t think he should be judged by his choice of jumper. The lad is a terrific young player and as brave as they come, particularly for someone so small. Still eligible for U19s and in his second season of “A” grade seniors. With Moore out injured and Pickett, Roberts and others not playing this year he has consistently been our only winning forward. Certainly the only De La forward on Saturday that looked likely and he played very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back