Premier A 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brighton still has some of their best players away and don’t get them back for a few more weeks. Can’t see them getting near the sharks tomorrow but you just never know. Only game that you might pencil them in for in the run home is St Bedes at the beach. They might fancy themselves against De La but at home the bellers are a solid unit having beaten 2 teams in the 4 on their home deck. As such can only see OB winning 1 or 2 more games at best and they look gone for mine. Could be joined by any one of 4 other teams for the 2nd relegation spot. If St Bedes lose this week at home they would be in serious trouble. If they win then pressure back on De La, OX and even Collegians. Once a again a tight competition which keeps interest going right up until the last round.

Comment re St Bernards forwards. Bernies have plenty of talent up forward. IMO Merrington way past his best but Jones a real handful. Straight out of the WAFL with AFL experience. Capable of taking teams apart and will kick a bag at some stage.
Interesting potential here for some red hot contests over the next few weeks.

Surprised more has not been made of St Bedes fall from grace. De La a mid table team last year had their playing stocks decimated in the off-season. They were widely tipped for relegation so current ladder position not really a surprise. Likewise the view on Old Brighton was that while they were a good ‘B’ grade side they did not add enough quality to their list to really challenge in the top grade.

St Bedes who were runners up last year and still seem to have plenty of talent are currently sitting last. A few weeks back their 2s had to top us with club officials just to make up the numbers. Last year their Premier 19s won the flag and I believe their 2nd U19s made finals. This year their 2nd U19s never got off the ground and their Premier team forfeited yesterday. Such a rapid change in fortunes has barley caused a ripple.

What would you like made of it Jimmyjack? They have lost a lot of key players and probably over performed last year to get to a GF with minimal talls, to lose McGettigan and Hiwad it was always expected they'd be in the bottom rungs.

What would you like made of it Jimmyjack? They have lost a lot of key players and probably over performed last year to get to a GF with minimal talls, to lose McGettigan and Hiwad it was always expected they'd be in the bottom rungs.

A club I really like and respect hence the reason I am miffed at such a huge downward spiral and also the lack of scrutiny accompanying that. And not just the senior group but the club as a whole. To go from 2 x U19 teams and premiers in the top 19 grade to forfeiting their only U19 team yesterday suggests something is amiss. They are only 1 of 3 'A' grade clubs (Beauy and St Bernards the others) that has a direct junior club feeder which makes this even more puzzling.

They might have overachieved in 2013 but based on last years performance I am still surprised at where they find themselves at the moment. Their player losses are nowhere near as bad as some clubs - De La lost around 30 that played senior football last year and 8 of the top 10 from their B & F. I would suggest that Xavs, Scotch and Collegians had had far more significant off-season departures or absences this year. Perhaps falling form the top 4 might be expected but not to be on the bottom.

Shows the difficulty in balancing a list for success. Very difficult to expect youngsters, even with U19 Premier success, to transition to senior footy and deliver. Unfortunately they fall away. Good coach, though, and will dig in for the fight

Surprised more has not been made of St Bedes fall from grace. De La a mid table team last year had their playing stocks decimated in the off-season. They were widely tipped for relegation so current ladder position not really a surprise. Likewise the view on Old Brighton was that while they were a good ‘B’ grade side they did not add enough quality to their list to really challenge in the top grade.

St Bedes who were runners up last year and still seem to have plenty of talent are currently sitting last. A few weeks back their 2s had to top us with club officials just to make up the numbers. Last year their Premier 19s won the flag and I believe their 2nd U19s made finals. This year their 2nd U19s never got off the ground and their Premier team forfeited yesterday. Such a rapid change in fortunes has barley caused a ripple.

JJ, Dig deeper for an explanation to St Bedes issues.

I think the issue facing St. Bedes is one that many clubs are currently facing. Many clubs are having to forfeit their Thirds matches due to lack of numbers (Ormond & Old Melburnians), some clubs have even forfeited their reserve grade matches (Banyule) which can lead to expulsion from the competition if it happens more than once and many clubs have played with 16 regularly in the reserves just to avoid a forfeit (St. Bedes) with club officials and past players pulling on the boots just to make up the numbers.

It isn't that players are leaving to play in other suburban competitions, as numbers in the EFL and SFL are also low, evidenced by Donvale withdrawing from the EFL in 2014 and attempting to merge with Whitefriars.

It is due to people becoming more time poor as the 9-5 boundaries of work no longer exist. People are no longer able to justify spending their spare hours down at the football club when they could be spending time with their family or just simply resting. People are becoming more selfish in their ways and would rather do things for themselves, rather than be involved in a sporting club.

Hopefully it is just a cycle that people are going through and the numbers don't continue to diminish as we could see many clubs folding in the next couple of years if the drop off in numbers continues.

A club I really like and respect hence the reason I am miffed at such a huge downward spiral and also the lack of scrutiny accompanying that. And not just the senior group but the club as a whole. To go from 2 x U19 teams and premiers in the top 19 grade to forfeiting their only U19 team yesterday suggests something is amiss. They are only 1 of 3 'A' grade clubs (Beauy and St Bernards the others) that has a direct junior club feeder which makes this even more puzzling.

They might have overachieved in 2013 but based on last years performance I am still surprised at where they find themselves at the moment. Their player losses are nowhere near as bad as some clubs - De La lost around 30 that played senior football last year and 8 of the top 10 from their B & F. I would suggest that Xavs, Scotch and Collegians had had far more significant off-season departures or absences this year. Perhaps falling form the top 4 might be expected but not to be on the bottom.

I had SBMT, OB and DLS as my three bottom sides going into this season, so no surprises for mine. Their player departures were significant, and lack of depth to great to overcome. They've been relying on too many U/19's this season to plug holes in the senior side. THere is absolutely no depth at the club.

I had SBMT, OB and DLS as my three bottom sides going into this season, so no surprises for mine. Their player departures were significant, and lack of depth to great to overcome. They've been relying on too many U/19's this season to plug holes in the senior side. THere is absolutely no depth at the club.

Pen, Ammo, JJ and others re: St. Bedes..........you have all heard the old saying. "A fish rots from the head"..............

So many questions to be answered over the remaining 5 weeks.

Can Xavs keep winning?
Have Trinity done enough?
Who will stay in A Grade?

If Xavs can't knock over the all conquering blacks this weekend, the run for 4th will be over.

St Bede's are always dangerous at Brindisi, can they beat Scotch? Stranger things have happened....

My end of the H&A ladder prediction.

Uni Blacks - 64
St Bernards - 60
Trinity - 44
Scotch - 40
Collegians - 40
Xavs - 40
Beaumaris - 24
De La Salle - 20
St Bedes - 16
Brighton - 16

One slip up and everything changes.

A Grade is alive and well.

PB

Pen, Ammo, JJ and others re: St. Bedes..........you have all heard the old saying. "A fish rots from the head"..............

Do you mean the coach? You probably know more than me about what goes on at the Tigers but those I know at the club hold Dwyer in pretty high regard. Took what many regard as a mid table list to a GF last year. More than just the seniors the club from top to bottom seems in strife at the moment, certainly compared to what they achieved as a club last year.

Xavs will comfortably beat Blacks. 40 points (as long as they kick straight. Been spraying them lately)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you mean the coach? You probably know more than me about what goes on at the Tigers but those I know at the club hold Dwyer in pretty high regard. Took what many regard as a mid table list to a GF last year. More than just the seniors the club from top to bottom seems in strife at the moment, certainly compared to what they achieved as a club last year.

JJ, It goes higher than the Coach.

Blues are a scarier unit than St. Bedes in B Grade as they come with a 2nd team that is also very strong.

Blues have good depth but SBMT have far more ‘A’ graders than what UB had last year. Even putting aside the lack of depth if they were to be relegated and they retained the likes of Tyquin x 3, Richards x 2, Wintle x 2, Doherty x 2 Robertson, Barnes, Curcio and others they will take ‘B’ grade apart.

Blues have good depth but SBMT have far more ‘A’ graders than what UB had last year. Even putting aside the lack of depth if they were to be relegated and they retained the likes of Tyquin x 3, Richards x 2, Wintle x 2, Doherty x 2 Robertson, Barnes, Curcio and others they will take ‘B’ grade apart.
Blues IMO are significantly stronger this year than last. They have lost Young but added some genuine guns.Think Blakey, Caldow, Curnow, Gardiner, Macenzie to name a few .Dont be so sure about SBMT taking apart B grade.

Blues IMO are significantly stronger this year than last. They have lost Young but added some genuine guns.Think Blakey, Caldow, Curnow, Gardiner, Macenzie to name a few .Dont be so sure about SBMT taking apart B grade.

If they retain most of their current list they will. (That is if they do get relegated)

Like any club taking the drop you worry about departures but their top end is very good – way to good for ‘B’ grade. Blokes likes Simon Richards, Jarryd Robertson will take the P155.

If Bedes are as good as you say they are, and if go down will take B Grade apart. Then if they are so much better, why are they looking at relegation with 4 or 5 games to go.........Of their remaining games, who do you think they will beat? I fancy no one, if so.........
how far off the pace are they really????

If Bedes are as good as you say they are, and if go down will take B Grade apart. Then if they are so much better, why are they looking at relegation with 4 or 5 games to go.........Of their remaining games, who do you think they will beat? I fancy no one, if so.........
how far off the pace are they really????

FF – I have been at pains to point out there are a lot of “Ifs” in all this – if they get relegated, if they retain their list etc. IMHO the St Bedes of 2014 are a far superior team than the Uni Blues of 2013. Likewise I reckon ‘A’ grade is stronger this year than last. In 2013 Carey were so weak that each team was gifted 2 wins, likewise with Caulfield in 2012. No such luxuries exist this season.

Remember St Bedes knocked off Xavs 3 weeks ago and Xavs are just about the form side of the comp at the moment. Went within a kick of rolling St Bernards a week later and from all reports were stiff to lose. They have a tough run home and staying up will be a difficult but I maintain that IF they keep their list intact they will be very hard to beat in ‘B’ grade next year (should they find themselves there).

Blues are a top 4 side in Premier let alone Premier B, the guys they have recruited are jets from other comps, not just top ups.
If they keep their list together they will do what Blacks, Trinity and St Bedes did and go straight to the top of Premier.
In regards to St Bedes, they must be respected for all they have done and will do the last 4 rounds, expect them to beat Scotch in the wet on Saturday.

Not sure why you would sling crap at them?
For what its worth I dont think anyone is bagging St Bedes are they? I have been around VAFA footy for a while and have seen Uni a number of times this year, for me they are clearly the best B grade side since St Bedes in 07. But this is an A grade forum so we will have to wait for next year.

Blues are a top 4 side in Premier let alone Premier B, the guys they have recruited are jets from other comps, not just top ups.
If they keep their list together they will do what Blacks, Trinity and St Bedes did and go straight to the top of Premier.
In regards to St Bedes, they must be respected for all they have done and will do the last 4 rounds, expect them to beat Scotch in the wet on Saturday.

Do you really think you're qualified to comment on A Grade Brian? Ridiculous to suggest Uni Blues are a top 4 side in premier.

No i would agree with Brian on this one. Their current side would on paper be arguably better than their 2012 finals side. Yes this is not the B grade forum but a comparison between St Bedes and Uni Blues was made by more than one poster.

Brian, no one is slinging crap at Bedes. Its just a conversation as to where they are currently at. Be it that they manage to hang on or
should they slip to B. I can see UB's acquitting themselves very well when they come up next year, not disimiliar to OT this year. Will Bedes be as dominant as UB are this year (should they go down) ? Its a raffle..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back