Premier A - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

If there's one thing I would like to see in Premier section this season, is that the VAFA finally listen to reason and stage its showpiece grand final elsewhere (ie Visy Park).
And after the embarrassment of having a team's change room flooded with water only hours before the most important game of the year, how many more excuses the VAFA would need in defending the reason why the Premier Grand Final has to be played at Sportscover Arena?
Why not give Visy Park, Carlton a go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW I don't think I have ever heard the VAFA give an excuse. In other news interesting to see Adrian Anderson on the tribunal panel this year. He is a bit young for that isnt he?

FWIW I don't think I have ever heard the VAFA give an excuse. In other news interesting to see Adrian Anderson on the tribunal panel this year. He is a bit young for that isnt he?

Adrian Anderson?? ..........God help us. After what he did to the AFL...they are going to spend years to unravel the damage he did there.
Only to probably try and re introduce into the VAFA..............Lord save us......

Adrian Anderson?? ..........God help us. After what he did to the AFL...they are going to spend years to unravel the damage he did there.
Only to probably try and re introduce into the VAFA..............Lord save us......
Apart from pissing off Vlad. What did he do to the AFL that was so immensely damaging?

Frankly, I don't reckon he could do any worse than some of the old fogies who presently sit there.

Apart from pissing off Vlad. What did he do to the AFL that was so immensely damaging?

Frankly, I don't reckon he could do any worse than some of the old fogies who presently sit there.
Does the 'Sirengate' fiasco back in Tasmania between Fremantle and St. Kilda in 2006 ring a bell?
After what happened down at Bellerive Oval, Anderson was supposed to rule on the outcome of the match the following day. He instead turned the matter to the AFL Commission which ultimately ruled in the Dockers favour.
Consider this scenario:
Collegians and Old Xaverians play in a Round 18 game, with everything on the line-a spot in the finals, with both teams tied in the win-loss, for & against , percentage and points.
With less than 5 seconds to go, Xavs up by 3 points and the ball on Collegians goal line, there is scramble for possession, and a Lions player has the ball. However the siren sounds, but it is very barely audible to hear, with only those on the Xavs bench hearing it. The umpires fail to hear it, with play going on allowing for Collegians to score a goal and put Xavs out of the finals. Cue controversy. What does the VAFA do-ask Adrian Anderson to rule on this even though he is not on the VAFA rules committee to sort out the problem?

Does the 'Sirengate' fiasco back in Tasmania between Fremantle and St. Kilda in 2006 ring a bell?
After what happened down at Bellerive Oval, Anderson was supposed to rule on the outcome of the match the following day. He instead turned the matter to the AFL Commission which ultimately ruled in the Dockers favour.
Consider this scenario:
Collegians and Old Xaverians play in a Round 18 game, with everything on the line-a spot in the finals, with both teams tied in the win-loss, for & against , percentage and points.
With less than 5 seconds to go, Xavs up by 3 points and the ball on Collegians goal line, there is scramble for possession, and a Lions player has the ball. However the siren sounds, but it is very barely audible to hear, with only those on the Xavs bench hearing it. The umpires fail to hear it, with play going on allowing for Collegians to score a goal and put Xavs out of the finals. Cue controversy. What does the VAFA do-ask Adrian Anderson to rule on this even though he is not on the VAFA rules committee to sort out the problem?

Don't know about Adrian Anderson or the VAFA Jase but after the rest of us had stopped laughing at Xavs stroke of terrible luck we would probably come to the conclusion that God is actually a proddy and not a Mick.

He was the clown that turned a Tribunal system into something more like a Royal Comm. Introduced, "Carry over points", reckless intent with intent, negligence, unduly rough play, unintentional contact, discounts due to previous record, extra penalties because of the carry over points, different forms of pleading. Plea bargaining. It just went on.

Whatever happened to guilty or not guilty for the relevent charge 2, 4, 6, weeks etc? You needed to be a Philadelphia lawyer with a calculater
to work out the most simple of things....Did he hit him or didnt he??? Yes he hit him... Peanalty.....4 weeks. Job done.

He was the clown that turned a Tribunal system into something more like a Royal Comm. Introduced, "Carry over points", reckless intent with intent, negligence, unduly rough play, unintentional contact, discounts due to previous record, extra penalties because of the carry over points, different forms of pleading. Plea bargaining. It just went on.

Whatever happened to guilty or not guilty for the relevent charge 2, 4, 6, weeks etc? You needed to be a Philadelphia lawyer with a calculater
to work out the most simple of things....Did he hit him or didnt he??? Yes he hit him... Peanalty.....4 weeks. Job done.

How quickly we forget. My memory is long enough to remember what a dog's breakfast the preceding system was. Gerard Healy called it 'chook lotto' it was so inconsistent.

Just as the points system was (justifiably) criticised after getting plaudits at the beginning. So will the new system. Already heard a few whining about it being too lenient in a couple of instances.

There's no perfect system. And the very simplistic ones have caused the biggest mistakes in my view.

Throw in that the points system was initially embraced by the AFL. That included Vlad.

Hardly reasonable to call Anderson immensely damaging on that basis. His major problem was falling out with Vlad.

Then there's the clear conflicts of interest Harford and Christian have with the new set-up.

By season end there will as many whiners as now. And I reserve the right to be one of 'em.;)

Not sure if this is correct forum to post this but as most the players come from ‘A’ grade this seems as good a place as any.

I note on the VAFA website the VAFA squad had their first training run together last night. With the games on next weekend this seems like a very half arsed preparation. I know the NFL have put a lot of effort into this game. It has attracted a lot of local interest, they have been training together as a squad for some time now and they have assembled a very strong team. With the VAFA record in rep footy you would be crazy to write them off but from afar there does not seem to be the same level of commitment to the cause this year. I am hearing that a lot of first choice players have made themselves unavailable and a few rumblings about previous selection being something of closed shop has put quite a few others off the concept. Certainly not the fault of the new coach and I just hope he is getting the support from the clubs and VAFA that he deserves.

The old DVFL had a reputation as being the best metro league going around and it seems they are intend on claiming that title back again. Just hope that after all the hard work done previously the VAFA have not dropped the ball.

Not sure if this is correct forum to post this but as most the players come from ‘A’ grade this seems as good a place as any.

I note on the VAFA website the VAFA squad had their first training run together last night. With the games on next weekend this seems like a very half arsed preparation. I know the NFL have put a lot of effort into this game. It has attracted a lot of local interest, they have been training together as a squad for some time now and they have assembled a very strong team. With the VAFA record in rep footy you would be crazy to write them off but from afar there does not seem to be the same level of commitment to the cause this year. I am hearing that a lot of first choice players have made themselves unavailable and a few rumblings about previous selection being something of closed shop has put quite a few others off the concept. Certainly not the fault of the new coach and I just hope he is getting the support from the clubs and VAFA that he deserves.

The old DVFL had a reputation as being the best metro league going around and it seems they are intend on claiming that title back again. Just hope that after all the hard work done previously the VAFA have not dropped the ball.
After the 5 best players in VAFA team that won the title in 2014 were poached, why would VAFA teams bother supporting this?

It really isn't that important to most involved in club level at VAFA.
Whether we win or lose the two comps are streets apart in quality.
VAFA rules!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the 5 best players in VAFA team that won the title in 2014 were poached, why would VAFA teams bother supporting this?

Very good point Bagman however VAFA guns have been getting lured to the paying comps for years and that’s not going to change anytime soon. I can guarantee a lot more than 5 would have been approached, its just that those 5 chose to take the $.

I just get a sense that having defeated the EFL 3 from 3 and proving themselves as the best metro comp they seem to just be going though the motions a bit this year.

It really isn't that important to most involved in club level at VAFA.
Whether we win or lose the two comps are streets apart in quality.
VAFA rules!

Couldnt agree more........No one realy gives a stuff. Its just another game where the best players (if they are yours)
can get injured and miss home and away game time......... That is where the heart is. Best demonstrated by palyers being

Would it be fair to say that the lure of wearing the Big V is not quite as strong as it was say ie 10-15 years, with clubs more concerned about losing its star players to rep/state football, which could have a impact on a club's chance to play finals-get promoted/avoid relegation to a lower grade/section?

I note on the VAFA website the VAFA squad had their first training run together last night. With the games on next weekend this seems like a very half arsed preparation. I know the NFL have put a lot of effort into this game. It has attracted a lot of local interest, they have been training together as a squad for some time now and they have assembled a very strong team.
Firstly, the game is on in two weeks.
Secondly, the VAFA is next to unbeatable regardless of who plays.
Thirdly, most outside don't give a stuff as its at a silly time of the year but when it comes the day we all want to win.

Jason, any State jumper is hard earned and for most players will be the pinnacle of their career.
IMO the sweetest wins in the last 20 years have been over the EFL, they pay ridiculous money to their players and were spruiking for years that they were El Supremo. Everyone now knows that is no longer the case.

Firstly, the game is on in two weeks.
Secondly, the VAFA is next to unbeatable regardless of who plays.
Thirdly, most outside don't give a stuff as its at a silly time of the year but when it comes the day we all want to win.

Thanks for the correction Brian but the extra weeks preparation still pales when compared to the NFL. And I’m sure many of those claiming not to give a stuff were pretty quick to recognise the win last year and have used it when touting the strength of the VAFA against other leagues.

I get that this can be an impediment to clubs but still believe there is a fair bit of pride involved in these games. I agree with Brian that the win against the EFL with there seemingly endless supply of $ was particularly sweet but don’t believe the VAFA is unbeatable, not when you see the strength in the NFL squad (who are not shy about throwing the coin around either).

Just think it would be shame if the hard earned reputation as the best metro comp werelost due to a lack of interest and a half arsed preparation.

The VAFA losing to the NFL would do Jack Didly re being the best metro comp. there is no comparison between the two. You are comparing chalk and cheese here. Please stop. We care about our clubs and round 1. The NFL sucks balls in comparison.

Thanks for the correction Brian but the extra weeks preparation still pales when compared to the NFL. And I’m sure many of those claiming not to give a stuff were pretty quick to recognise the win last year and have used it when touting the strength of the VAFA against other leagues.

I get that this can be an impediment to clubs but still believe there is a fair bit of pride involved in these games. I agree with Brian that the win against the EFL with there seemingly endless supply of $ was particularly sweet but don’t believe the VAFA is unbeatable, not when you see the strength in the NFL squad (who are not shy about throwing the coin around either).

Just think it would be shame if the hard earned reputation as the best metro comp werelost due to a lack of interest and a half arsed preparation.
The NFL side is strong, but may need to bring their dentures. They seem to be quite long in the tooth, which suggests if the VAFA can stay close to 3/4 time, it should have too much run.

The VAFA losing to the NFL would do Jack Didly re being the best metro comp. there is no comparison between the two. You are comparing chalk and cheese here. Please stop. We care about our clubs and round 1. The NFL sucks balls in comparison.

Agree. Nice to win but club footy far more important. Any news of practice games over the weekend? A few 'A' grade clubs took on some EFL Div 1 clubs. I hear Scotch beat Blackburn convincingly. De La narrowly over Vermont in a low scoring game (brief report on the De La website). Anyone know how Beaumaris went against Noble Park or details of other games?

I see the new vafa website is now online. Looks much more professional than the old one, but haven't played around with it yet to see how well it functions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back