Premier A - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Heres a topic, we go on adnauseam about players, who is the best etc. etc....

How about trying to rate the 2015 A Grade Coaches?.........Should be some interesating comments and thoughts

I see the new vafa website is now online. Looks much more professional than the old one, but haven't played around with it yet to see how well it functions
I noticed with interest you can watch most of the past Premier/A Section Grand Finals including the 1986 A Section Grand Final between Collegians and North Old Boys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heres a topic, we go on adnauseam about players, who is the best etc. etc....

How about trying to rate the 2015 A Grade Coaches?.........Should be some interesating comments and thoughts

Hard to go past the low profile gaffer out Daley Oval way who managed to get the lowest resourced club in the competition back into the guts of Premier whilst also balancing u19 interests such that they could win a flag.

If you are talking about building from within, Adam Andrews is an unheralded talent.

Not that I'm biased in any way.....

Agree. Nice to win but club footy far more important. Any news of practice games over the weekend? A few 'A' grade clubs took on some EFL Div 1 clubs. I hear Scotch beat Blackburn convincingly. De La narrowly over Vermont in a low scoring game (brief report on the De La website). Anyone know how Beaumaris went against Noble Park or details of other games?
I heard noble won by 100 odd though they played their best side that being said they'd be far too good for beauy regardless

Alright, I will rephrase it.

Past coaching record taken into account

All right then, rate them for their 2014 performances and predict their fortunes for 2015.......................

Obviously I am a bit biased but taking into account what he had to work with you cannot go past Paul Satterly at De La. A club that finished mid table in 2013 lost 28 players who represented the club at senior level before the start of the 2014 season. (that number is legit and has been validated several times). Player losses of that proportion would and should decimate a club and quite rightly most informed punters tipped them for relegation, in fact many believed they would not win a game. Not only did they avoid relegation but also by seasons end they had developed into a reasonably competitive unit. Only Uni Blacks really got hold of them and they managed some decent results against some of the other better-performed clubs, including a win against 3rd placed St Bernards and 2 narrow defeats by less than a kick against 2nd placed Collegians.

Clubs with much lesser player losses have tumbled multiple grades in a short period (PEGS, Marcellin, Haileybury, Old Ivanhoe to name a few). But it goes beyond the win/loss record. He galvanised an entire club and the spirit amongst the playing group was fantastic. Support for the club remained high and was actually enhanced over the course of the season. What could have been an absolute disaster has turned into a positive with players now returning in droves, basically on the back of the senior coach.

Agree with comment about Andrews and Trinity. What he achieved with modest cattle (by comparison to most other clubs) deserves recognition.

Obviously I am a bit biased but taking into account what he had to work with you cannot go past Paul Satterly at De La. A club that finished mid table in 2013 lost 28 players who represented the club at senior level before the start of the 2014 season. (that number is legit and has been validated several times). Player losses of that proportion would and should decimate a club and quite rightly most informed punters tipped them for relegation, in fact many believed they would not win a game. Not only did they avoid relegation but also by seasons end they had developed into a reasonably competitive unit. Only Uni Blacks really got hold of them and they managed some decent results against some of the other better-performed clubs, including a win against 3rd placed St Bernards and 2 narrow defeats by less than a kick against 2nd placed Collegians.

Clubs with much lesser player losses have tumbled multiple grades in a short period (PEGS, Marcellin, Haileybury, Old Ivanhoe to name a few). But it goes beyond the win/loss record. He galvanised an entire club and the spirit amongst the playing group was fantastic. Support for the club remained high and was actually enhanced over the course of the season. What could have been an absolute disaster has turned into a positive with players now returning in droves, basically on the back of the senior coach.

Agree with comment about Andrews and Trinity. What he achieved with modest cattle (by comparison to most other clubs) deserves recognition.

How many years has he been at De La? (excuse my ignorance).....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The VFL team is playing NAB cup isn't it? :)

We did the same last week, played the SFL rep team then backed up against Heidleberg minus a dozen or so of our best 22, need to be wary of soft tissue injuries.

How did you fare against the SFL rep team?

1988 VAFA A Section Grand Final-Ormond v Old Xaverians

Would've loved to have seen some rep/State of Origin games from that era too...the likes of Conti, Fuller, Barnes running around in the Big V.
Which raises a question-what era had the better playing talent in Premier/A Section; the 1986-88 period, or the current generation?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back