Premier A - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched Carey comeback and win at Xavier today. Good game. Both sides pretty small with plenty of run. Cust, Smithwick, Howat got them over the line. Handley awesome in first half. Marked everything. Darvell was tough in the packs. Clearance machine.

The De La Revival!!
I think Scorchies would be getting nervous.
Beauys last 7 quarters of footy tell us they are gone. Raph is out for another 3 games (5 weeks).
Imagine we may not see him ever again.
At the other end the top two are set and Carey probably make it now. That half game will get them in I think. Play Blues and the bottom 3 all at home. Win those 4 and they make it.
Blacks are improving sharply. Smashed Carey recently so would be happy to meet them in a Semi.
Xavs gone!
Blues and Collegians small chance.

The De La Revival!!
I think Scorchies would be getting nervous.
Beauys last 7 quarters of footy tell us they are gone. Raph is out for another 3 games (5 weeks).
Imagine we may not see him ever again.
At the other end the top two are set and Carey probably make it now. That half game will get them in I think. Play Blues and the bottom 3 all at home. Win those 4 and they make it.
Blacks are improving sharply. Smashed Carey recently so would be happy to meet them in a Semi.
Xavs gone!
Blues and Collegians small chance.

De La probably should have won their last 4 on the trot but still hard to argue with those (of which I was one) who had them finishing bottom 2. While not playing all that badly it is almost impossible to come back from 1 win over the first 9 rounds. Had a heap of injuries and bugger all depth. Also don’t think many would have seen Scotch winning 1 of their next 8 after such good early season form.

Still a long way to go but De La is capably of winning at least 3 of their last 7. While not in the same class as the top teams, had they managed to win their share of close games they would even be pushing for a place in the 4!

De La probably should have won their last 4 on the trot but still hard to argue with those (of which I was one) who had them finishing bottom 2. While not playing all that badly it is almost impossible to come back from 1 win over the first 9 rounds. Had a heap of injuries and bugger all depth. Also don’t think many would have seen Scotch winning 1 of their next 8 after such good early season form.

Still a long way to go but De La is capably of winning at least 3 of their last 7. While not in the same class as the top teams, had they managed to win their share of close games they would even be pushing for a place in the 4!
C'mon Rooster! The use of the word 'we' is acceptable.:)

C'mon Rooster! The use of the word 'we' is acceptable.:)

Yes fair call. Was just trying to display a small modicum of objectively to the comment! An inability to win close games in the first half of the year means that we now have to rely on clubs above us losing games. If we get the points in Rd 12 we are a decent chance of playing ‘A’ grade in 2016.

Yes fair call. Was just trying to display a small modicum of objectively to the comment! An inability to win close games in the first half of the year means that we now have to rely on clubs above us losing games. If we get the points in Rd 12 we are a decent chance of playing ‘A’ grade in 2016.
I reckon your comment is incorrect Rooster. If you win next round then your destiny is in your own hands. With teams so close on points and you guys clearly close in many earlier games, it would then be in De La's hands to win 3 of the remaining 6.

I reckon your comment is incorrect Rooster. If you win next round then your destiny is in your own hands. With teams so close on points and you guys clearly close in many earlier games, it would then be in De La's hands to win 3 of the remaining 6.

No Bagmen the comment is spot on. We have relied on Scotch losing 7 of their last 8 to even find ourselves in a position where we might now control our own destiny. There is often a tendency for club supporters to over inflate their clubs chances so I am trying to be objective in my assessment.

If we win Rd 12 we then probably only have 2 more realistic chances – Collegians at home and Beaumaris away. Additionally we only have 2 home games across the last 7 rounds so likely best-case scenario for us is 6 wins. We are certainly good enough to trouble all sides and maybe even cause an upset but I doubt anyone would having us beating St Bernards and then Trinity, Blacks and Carey all away. That means Scotch would just need to win 2, maybe 3 of their last 8 games. Our first half has put us in peril and we very much need Scotch to keep losing.

No Bagmen the comment is spot on. We have relied on Scotch losing 7 of their last 8 to even find ourselves in a position where we might now control our own destiny. There is often a tendency for club supporters to over inflate their clubs chances so I am trying to be objective in my assessment.

If we win Rd 12 we then probably only have 2 more realistic chances – Collegians at home and Beaumaris away. Additionally we only have 2 home games across the last 7 rounds so likely best-case scenario for us is 6 wins. We are certainly good enough to trouble all sides and maybe even cause an upset but I doubt anyone would having us beating St Bernards and then Trinity, Blacks and Carey all away. That means Scotch would just need to win 2, maybe 3 of their last 8 games. Our first half has put us in peril and we very much need Scotch to keep losing.
Fair call. Nice analysis. But as a Bernards supporter I just ponder 2014 and 2013 at your ground - where we lost both times....and I think we also lost in 2012....so we have not won at your ground since we have been back in A grade.....

Fair call. Nice analysis. But as a Bernards supporter I just ponder 2014 and 2013 at your ground - where we lost both times....and I think we also lost in 2012....so we have not won at your ground since we have been back in A grade.....

2012 and 2013 we were a much stronger team and last year was probably one out of the box. While we always seem to play well against the Snowdogs, the St Bernards 2015 version is a very good team and we would have to play out of our skins to get the points.

Nearly missed this as i haven't looked at the clearances for a while, but notice that Michael Evans has transferred from Scotch to the Riddell FL. I don't think he ended up playing a game for them after all of the talk preseason.

Nearly missed this as i haven't looked at the clearances for a while, but notice that Michael Evans has transferred from Scotch to the Riddell FL. I don't think he ended up playing a game for them after all of the talk preseason.
Is that the ex Melbourne player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In light of the results of the VAFA v VCFL games at Bendigo today, and also seeing that the VAFA Under 23 team finished third in the Carnival at Hobart, should the VAFA look at having representative football played every 2-3 years, with every other year devoted solely to club football?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Players love the mid season break. Not the strongest of teams sent out. I personally don't care about it at all, despite the occasional interesting article in the Ammos Record from a player reminiscing about wearing the Big V.
A nothing event that gets a second string team if held mid season.

Players love the mid season break. Not the strongest of teams sent out. I personally don't care about it at all, despite the occasional interesting article in the Ammos Record from a player reminiscing about wearing the Big V.
A nothing event that gets a second string team if held mid season.

Have to agree. No disrespect to those who played yesterday and well done to all for making the effort but you could pick 2 teams from those who were unavailable who have rolled the side the VAFA yesterday. As much as the VAFA try and pump up these games most players prefer a week off. Spend it with the family or their mates or do something completely different. Really can’t blame them either. Pre-seasons seem to get longer and longer and they are already devoting 9 or 10 months of the year to football for zero $. Despite getting the job done in the pre-season carnival, the VAFA team that played the NFL was also well below full strength. A game every few years would be sufficient.

The U23 concept is quite ridiculous and also required 2 days off work or study to make the trip for what is essentially a ‘Mickey mouse’ lightning premiership. I understand there was so much apathy towards the concept that the coach had to beg some blokes to make the trip.

I previously watched the results of these matches with great interest. Now I really couldn’t care less. Time for the VAFA to look at other priorities such as fixing EP, easing the burden on club volunteers or improving the quality and number of umpires.

Have to agree. No disrespect to those who played yesterday and well done to all for making the effort but you could pick 2 teams from those who were unavailable who have rolled the side the VAFA yesterday. As much as the VAFA try and pump up these games most players prefer a week off. Spend it with the family or their mates or do something completely different. Really can’t blame them either. Pre-seasons seem to get longer and longer and they are already devoting 9 or 10 months of the year to football for zero $. Despite getting the job done in the pre-season carnival, the VAFA team that played the NFL was also well below full strength. A game every few years would be sufficient.

The U23 concept is quite ridiculous and also required 2 days off work or study to make the trip for what is essentially a ‘Mickey mouse’ lightning premiership. I understand there was so much apathy towards the concept that the coach had to beg some blokes to make the trip.

I previously watched the results of these matches with great interest. Now I really couldn’t care less. Time for the VAFA to look at other priorities such as fixing EP, easing the burden on club volunteers or improving the quality and number of umpires.
Have these VAFA representative games (Under 19-23, Premier B-Division 4, Seniors, and the VAFA Tour of Ireland) played every 3 years (ie like the British & Irish Lions rugby tours to either Australia, New Zealand or South Africa every 4 years). In between, the VAFA can focus solely on club football.

Have these VAFA representative games (Under 19-23, Premier B-Division 4, Seniors, and the VAFA Tour of Ireland) played every 3 years (ie like the British & Irish Lions rugby tours to either Australia, New Zealand or South Africa every 4 years). In between, the VAFA can focus solely on club football.

The vast majority already focus on club football Jase but a game very few years might at least satisfy those who believe they are of value. The U23 concept is absurd so give that the lemonade entirely. The tour of Ireland is completely unnecessary. A pointless exercise that cost money and does not have the support of the affiliate clubs

A representative game should be played every 3 years rather than every year, because the VAFA risks the players losing interest in the representative game concept if it was held every year.

Time for the VAFA to look at other priorities such as fixing EP, easing the burden on club volunteers or improving the quality and number of umpires.
Agree! I'd add to that reducing affiliation fees and re-prioritising the allocation of funds.

The CEO has been in the role for 10 years now and the results have been mixed. Time for the position to be re-advertised and for a shake-up of the administration generally.

Agree! I'd add to that reducing affiliation fees and re-prioritising the allocation of funds.

The CEO has been in the role for 10 years now and the results have been mixed. Time for the position to be re-advertised and for a shake-up of the administration generally.
Better still, how about a review of the entire VAFA Board/Administration. It would be a good idea for the Amateurs to appoint someone from outside the VAFA to do a review on the way the VAFA operates and the performances of the Board and Adminstration. And one area that could come under close scrutiny could be representative/state football at all levels.

Settle people. The VAFA gets it 80% right. And it's impossible for anyone to get it above 90% right as there are always people who disagree with even good things.
Play on..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back