Premier A - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

r0hGc2L.jpg
An extraordinary match and demonstrates why these clubs were a clear one and two all year. An unbelievably skilful game with the teams trading goals all day. If anyone wants to doubt the quality of the VAFA tell them to check out this game on VAFA TV. I did not make the trek to Parkville but was glued to the live stream (at least until it packed it in half way through the last).

A classic case of a champion team against a team of champions and until very late the Ts looked like they just might get over the line. In the end the cream rose and St Bernards got up. Had the best list in the comp by some margin so probably no great surprise. Were mine and many other pre –season tip. But an great by the Ts. Just a group of blokes who have come through the school and U19s and pretty much devoid of big names.

(That young Ronke kid can really play!)
Thanks guys. Watched the live stream like many, until it gave up the ghost. Bit frustrating. I agree, excellent match.

The goal umpire down the Trinity end in the 4th had an absolutely stinker which is pretty hard for a goal umpire to have. Not going to say it cost the game but bit frustrating to have goals taken away from goal umpiring mistakes.

Went to Nunawading Park (EFL) yesterday. The best game money can buy.
Went to Princess Park today. The best suburban football by far.

Clearly the best two teams, with the strength of Bentick and Sullivan being compelling in the 1st half. With Bentick staining his hamstring, OT to over in the 3rd quarter.

OT played the best football seen ion A Grade. (IMO). A goal on the siren gave St.B some hope.

OT had a couple of balls touched in the line, which was turnaround and converted by St.B. Then a left footed blond kid just to over.

St.B just a little stronger.

Skills were amazing. All other teams will need to lift 30% just to even get close to that displayed today.

Its official. Jas gets his way EP is dead. Great atmosphere. For those who couldn't get in. Get their earlier.

John Kannis summed it up perfectly. Best game of Ammo football ever, played at a ground that allows football to be played, instead of the game being won or lost in the 1st Qtr due to the win.

Max "C Grade is a long way from an A Grade premiership, but we will have a crack" Leader

Hope the VAFA puts this game not just on Channel 31, but also on DVD too. Why can't it be made available to the public like the AFL Grand Finals DVDs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The goal umpire down the Trinity end in the 4th had an absolutely stinker which is pretty hard for a goal umpire to have. Not going to say it cost the game but bit frustrating to have goals taken away from goal umpiring mistakes.

Hard to make a call when you on your back (the pack knocked him over). Correctly used the Boundary Umpires as reference.

PS

The young 17 yo umpire is a gun and will make the big time. No phassed or flustered in the last quarter.

Hard to make a call when you on your back (the pack knocked him over). Correctly used the Boundary Umpires as reference.

PS

The young 17 yo umpire is a gun and will make the big time. No phassed or flustered in the last quarter.
Young Bailes is fantastic young ump, will end up at AFL level

Congratulations to the Snowdogs on winning the flag today. They will no doubt feel vindicated in securing a profile coach in Anthony Rock, and luring the likes of Jones, Campbell, Cartledge and Bentick to the Pit in search of the ultimate prize.

In my (biased) view, the current Old Trinity set up exemplifies all that's good about VAFA football. All coaching staff are ex-players. The current playing list are either school leavers or mates of those school leavers who came across at u19 level and have stayed.

Yep - no big names. In fact their biggest name (Iezzi) was obviously out of action at Rd 8. Yet they continued to persevere and thrive. They also lost their best young talent (Anthony Scott) to the Richmond VFL, but it didn't weaken them.

Maybe, just maybe, the names of Tinney, Hunt, Nicolosi, Hamilton, Stenhardt, et al will be more familiar to Premier followers now and will be BIG names, despite their low profile.

Yep, Trinity is an AGSV school.
Yep, the old boys are the only AGSV linked club above Premier C.
It's not sexy, it's not traditional, but it demands the respect of the entire competition as OTs have performed over the past two seasons brilliantly, and in my view they have done it the right way.

Home grown is best.

Great post Scribe. Only neg comment is that many others in A grade have and are doing it the right way as well.
Awesome game. Well done to both and especially snow dogs on the win.

One of the truly great games today both teams should be proud of how they played the game - pure footy. Princes park definite winner vs elsternwick (maybe an extra scoreboard or two) goal umpires under most pressure with massive supporter bases at both end!! The tall guys won out in the end but OT lost no admirers.

The VAFA will look completely stupid if they don't secure Ikon Park as the venue for the 2016 Premier Grand Final. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the VAFA have TWO headquarters-Sportscover Arena (administration & training for VAFA rep teams & umpires); Ikon Park (match day)

Haven't posted on this section this season as the teams I follow and support are still in the lower reaches, so as they say, a long time reader and first time poster. And for no other reason but interest in how teams perform in the 'second' season, some observations:
Only St Kevins and Kew, from the five traditional finals structure (top four) were premiers after winning their respective second semi finals and only the Premier, D1 and D3 grand finals featured teams that finished top 2 after the home-and-away.
Just observations

The VAFA will look completely stupid if they don't secure Ikon Park as the venue for the 2016 Premier Grand Final. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the VAFA have TWO headquarters-Sportscover Arena (administration & training for VAFA rep teams & umpires); Ikon Park (match day)

According to the new Prez today, Jase, the plans are to (hopefully) secure funding to develop the infrastructure at Sportcover. The hopeful bit relates to negotiating State Government funding involvement; securing funds from the AFL who have indicated more money will be made available for community football as a result of the new media deal; and utilising the VAFAs corporate contacts better with the view to generating more of the corporate dollar.

So, I don't think the VAFA has any plans to move the home base anytime soon. Sorry to bring that news to you as I know how devoted you are to seeing a move.

As for Ikon, the Prez said it's a one year deal. The VAFA will seek the views of its members regarding the success or otherwise of today's arrangements before making any further commitments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an observation. Bernards premiership team had 3 "imports". Chad Jones, Shaun Clarke, Sam Fleming. Cartledge and Bentick both went to the school and AB played all his junior football at Bernards. The remaining 17 are ALL home grown through juniors and/or the school. And the team included 3 players still eligible for U19s. The team also had 4 members of the 2014 Premiership team who won back to back Premierships. Alot of homegrown talent.

One of the truly great games today both teams should be proud of how they played the game - pure footy. Princes park definite winner vs elsternwick (maybe an extra scoreboard or two) goal umpires under most pressure with massive supporter bases at both end!! The tall guys won out in the end but OT lost no admirers.

Yesterday was my first VAFA GF. I loved every minute of the game...fast flowing game, with the two teams evenly matched.
No booze, no blues....and both clubs had wonderful supporters....it really was a memorable game.
Score board was b slow, and the clock was not working for the first half....why? Then the clock was hidden by supporters for the second half, which was disappointing.
SB well coached, and I suspect their young star Mitch Hannan is destined for a bigger stage next year.....he really played well, especially in the last quarter.
Well done to both teams....it was a joy to watch.

While on a future base for the VAFA a former mover-and-shaker suggested to me today the VAFA should be taking a look at the possibility of Waverley Park when the Hawks move to their new $50m facility at Dingley.

Now that is really thinking outside the square.

Unfortunately, no games are allowed to be played at the Waverley oval....training only.

Just an observation. Bernards premiership team had 3 "imports". Chad Jones, Shaun Clarke, Sam Fleming. Cartledge and Bentick both went to the school and AB played all his junior football at Bernards. The remaining 17 are ALL home grown through juniors and/or the school. And the team included 3 players still eligible for U19s. The team also had 4 members of the 2014 Premiership team who won back to back Premierships. Alot of homegrown talent.

Alex McLeod?

Unfortunately, no games are allowed to be played at the Waverley oval....training only.
Would that be due to the fact there's an AFL club there and they want to protect locals from the Hawks playing practice matches and/or Box Hill Hawks games there?

I'd be surprised if there couldn't be an agreement negotiated for VAFA games.

It's a long shot anyway. It'll be interesting to see what use the ground and facilities will be put to when the Hawks vacate in a few years.

Had a think about the Premier Grand Final today, and these are my thoughts:

-The VAFA should consider having the grand final played at Ikon Park for the foreseeable future. Why go back to Elsternwick when the VAFA knows it's on a winner by having it at Carlton.

-The VAFA should look at having the Grand Final shown live on Channel 31, not just on the VAFA website.

-Have the two competing clubs announce their full grand final teams on the VAFA website. After all if the VAFA umpires released their umpires panel for the grand final for public viewing, why can't the two teams as well?

Amazing game and great crowd. Got there at 2pm and got in no hassles, must have been a lot of people arriving late!

Only the second Premier game I have ever seen and it was an amazing standard, such a rarity these days to see such free flowing football and at a pretty good pace. Definitely the best suburban footy comp.

Had a think about the Premier Grand Final today, and these are my thoughts:

-The VAFA should consider having the grand final played at Ikon Park for the foreseeable future. Why go back to Elsternwick when the VAFA knows it's on a winner by having it at Carlton.

-The VAFA should look at having the Grand Final shown live on Channel 31, not just on the VAFA website.

-Have the two competing clubs announce their full grand final teams on the VAFA website. After all if the VAFA umpires released their umpires panel for the grand final for public viewing, why can't the two teams as well?
You really have a dislike for Sportscover Jase.:)

Point one. The VAFA is to review how things panned out at Ikon on Sunday before further committing. That includes speaking to the clubs. In view of the Prez saying the VAFA plans to redevelop Sportscover if they can get funding, I wouldn't be too hopeful of it not being front and centre as the finals venue of choice down the track.

Someone posted here there were some problems getting into Ikon on Sunday too.

Point two. Think the end for Channel 31 is nigh. If my memory serves me correctly they will continue broadcasting over the net though.

Point three. Teams do publish their lists don't they?

Not too sure Sholly wanted to use Ikon Park for the match. He may have been swayed by the 3000 who went there...and the very lengthy queues.

Fair to say the Umpires weren't happy having to hire a separate venue for their grand final day lunch when they have their own owned venue in Elsternwick Park. Mind you playing bowls an hour before the game was something different.

Anthony Rock would surely be on the radar of all AFL clubs looking for a senior assistant or VFL Clubs for a senior coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back