Premier A - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought Masci Hair and Spa Stadium would be more appropriate.
East Malvern Station could be an option, but the ghost of Dairy Bell will live on for ever. Like Princess Park and Colonial Stadium.

In other news, it looks like a Premier Ammo club has lost the race for big John Meeson (top 10 draft pick who under performed) to Balwyn.

East Malvern Station could be an option, but the ghost of Dairy Bell will live on for ever. Like Princess Park and Colonial Stadium.

In other news, it looks like a Premier Ammo club has lost the race for big John Meeson (top 10 draft pick who under performed) to Balwyn.

Bloody hell they must be absolutely awash with cash at that joint. Is there any chance whatsoever of them developing their own talent at some stage?

Bloody hell they must be absolutely awash with cash at that joint. Is there any chance whatsoever of them developing their own talent at some stage?
Yep. In 2025 at the 10 year flag reunion there will be a lot of no shows. Where's Goss? Didn't he leave after 1 season for cash in the country!
Where's Meeson? He didn't even rock up to the 2015 B&F. He won't show!
At least the coach will come wont he?
He's asked for 500 cash to attend....

Yep. In 2025 at the 10 year flag reunion there will be a lot of no shows. Where's Goss? Didn't he leave after 1 season for cash in the country!
Where's Meeson? He didn't even rock up to the 2015 B&F. He won't show!
At least the coach will come wont he?
He's asked for 500 cash to attend....

Can’t really blame these blokes for taking the cash as some of the money being offered up to players without AFL experience just defies all logic. Balwyn obviously have some very wealthy backers, as they certainly don’t see the need to develop juniors. I guess at some stage the money will run out and you might imagine it will be a fairly rapid decent into oblivion when that occurs. Still a great comp and many EFL clubs still trying to do it the ‘traditional way’ by trying to develop from within but the gap between these clubs and the Balwyns, Noble Parks etc seems to be widening.

Can’t really blame these blokes for taking the cash as some of the money being offered up to players without AFL experience just defies all logic. Balwyn obviously have some very wealthy backers, as they certainly don’t see the need to develop juniors. I guess at some stage the money will run out and you might imagine it will be a fairly rapid decent into oblivion when that occurs. Still a great comp and many EFL clubs still trying to do it the ‘traditional way’ by trying to develop from within but the gap between these clubs and the Balwyns, Noble Parks etc seems to be widening.
So what can AFL Victoria do about this situation?

Nothing. If Professional leagues are able to raise big coin and pay big dollars, good luck to both the club and the player.
The Ammos still has a great comp and a massive place in local Vic footy.
2015 will be big. 2 Uni team, 7 strong schools, Beauy. Should be very even.

Nathan Kazuro training with Footscray-if he makes the list he most likely will play the majority of the year with St.Bernards still just like Gleeson did in 2014.
Gleeson changing VFL sides from Footscray to Coburg for 2015 means little to no chance of him fronting up in the VAFA.

Nothing. If Professional leagues are able to raise big coin and pay big dollars, good luck to both the club and the player.
The Ammos still has a great comp and a massive place in local Vic footy.
2015 will be big. 2 Uni team, 7 strong schools, Beauy. Should be very even.

I believe two of Balwyins biggest sponsors are one of the "Mens Clubs" in King St and Sophias Pizza in Camberwell.
Big $$$' s Im led to believe. Good luck to Balwyin..............

Not proper Clubs in the true sense of the word. More like Refuggee camps, with people coming and going..no fabric whatsoever.

I know a number of players that say they regret chasing the cash.

As tempting as it may be for the wallet and ego, teammates and supporters never forget, as there is never a good time to leave your club.

Even though $1000 cash for having a kick on Saturday may sound like good money, the hours spent training, usually amongst an average group of blokes, driving long distances months before you see any of it, never appealed to me.

Hence why they return.

I know a number of players that say they regret chasing the cash.

As tempting as it may be for the wallet and ego, teammates and supporters never forget, as there is never a good time to leave your club.

Even though $1000 cash for having a kick on Saturday may sound like good money, the hours spent training, usually amongst an average group of blokes, driving long distances months before you see any of it, never appealed to me.

Hence why they return.
Not sure the really big names train with the clubs much if at all.

In my experience not that many of the mid range players return to the VAFA after heading to the burbs for bucks. So it can't be an experience that is all that mortifying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure the really big names train with the clubs much if at all.

In my experience not that many of the mid range players return to the VAFA after heading to the burbs for bucks. So it can't be an experience that is all that mortifying.

Looking at those returning to De La (and other clubs) would suggest that the experience may not be all that satisfying. I am led to believe that all but 1 or 2 of the several that left for cash last season have returned.

Leave for the money
Think its a pot of honey
People will hate
I've lost my mate
In the end it isn't funny.

Just want to ask you guys this.

Is the playing standard of the VAFA (and remember we're talking on-field here) better now than it was 10-15 years ago?

I'd say in a good year Jase, i.e. with no crap sides at the bottom of A grade, that the top 14 sides in the VAFA would hold their own against any suburban or country clubs, if not defeat most of them. Their are some brilliant footballers all through A and the top of B.

It's very subjective, Jase. My feeling is there has been a diminution in standard in the lower grades. That applies to umpiring too.

AM, That is a very good point , I agree. I reckon the talent pond has got shallower the lower you go in grades over the years. The comment on umpiring standards is very valid. I would suggest it drops away in ability quicker than the footballers do.

AM, That is a very good point , I agree. I reckon the talent pond has got shallower the lower you go in grades over the years. The comment on umpiring standards is very valid. I would suggest it drops away in ability quicker than the footballers do.

In regards to the lower grade umpiring, I think the reason for this is that they are that short for umpires that they take literally take anyone who puts their hand up. Not a criticism as it is out of necessity.
In regards to the standard, I live around the corner from a pretty established D4 club so catch a quarter or two every now and then and must agree re: the standard - it was terrible, down on previous years. Word around was that some of the clubs better players had left for $300 and $400 a game - ridiculous!!

AFL Vic can introduce a points system similar to systems that exist in other States. If well designed such a system can improve the evenness of suburban comps, cap the rampant $$ paid in these leagues and allow a comp like VAFA to compete a little more effectively for talented players.

AFL Vic can introduce a points system similar to systems that exist in other States. If well designed such a system can improve the evenness of suburban comps, cap the rampant $$ paid in these leagues and allow a comp like VAFA to compete a little more effectively for talented players.
The MPNFL has had a points system for yonks. That's worked well.;)

I note Piers Flanagan going to Uni Blues (former Gold Coast Suns player - although just the 3 games - recently at Sandy).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back