B Section Premier B - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember sitting around and discussing the Old School vs District balance 5 years ago with a few of the lads over an ale at the Railway.

With the increased appeal of Basketball, Soccer, Badminton, Swimming, tennis etc etc at the end of the day this erodes the numbers playing football at schools and hence the numbers coming through will evaporate over time. e.g. Parade, Terry, OH etc are showing those signs amongst a number of others.

In terms of the District clubs, well under their 'school' system, 100% of their 'students' will play football and if you get the structure and retention right then the feeder will be far superior than the Old School teams (unless they have better networking in their football system)

So perhaps this is a sign of the times and these strong junior district clubs may rule the ammos in years to come.....god forbid.

Cheers

'bloody drop-outs'

CC

Tom Howgate has played at Blacks for a number of years. Willingham came across this year but he would be the only one - he joins Dan Cos and Tom Howgate to make three Carey guys. The only bloke on the list who has in the past played SANFL is Cam Roberts. But I believe he last played with the NT Thunder before going to Blacks.

From what I can tell the list is actually similar to last year, majority of recruits were guys who have previously played at the club and come back after some time away, or have had relatives play there. Have had a great season. Two good tussles during the year with Beauy which was split 1-1. Sure to be a cracking game Saturday!

Howgate went to blacks in 10 - missed the Carey b grade flag. So been there 3 years

It's an opinion based forum Briza. In this instance that's why I emphasised IMO.

That said, a role I have gives me some insight into these things. Still, it's just a viewpoint which appears to have hit a nerve with you.
It hasn't hit a nerve with me at all, I was just questioning your post considering there are the clubs I listed with massive, massive junior programmes from Auskick all of the way through to the Under 19's. In fact, I heard somewhere that Fitzroy's junior programme is the biggest in the state, whether that is correct I am not sure.

It hasn't hit a nerve with me at all, I was just questioning your post considering there are the clubs I listed with massive, massive junior programmes from Auskick all of the way through to the Under 19's. In fact, I heard somewhere that Fitzroy's junior programme is the biggest in the state, whether that is correct I am not sure.
Well! Firstly I don't regard St Bedes/Mentone as a district club as you suggested in your ealier post. And for what it's worth I don't consider their junior development to be a match for the others anyhow. You, of all people here, should be more across that than me.

Rovers have a good program linked to the SMJFL as has Ormond and some others. It's just my view that the junior development at Beaumaris is better managed than most and I'd suggest the results over recent years show that to be the case. I know less about Fitzroy other than they are a well administered club.

West, I was hoping you could give us a quick analysis about the Bee boys?

After a pleasing start to the year the wheels completely fell off, I know injuries were devastating but what does the club need to do to consolidate in B grade after only missing relegation?

Are coaches/players staying/going? What do you think caused the terrible end to the season?

Obviously we need to keep developing the kids coming from the unders but surely they must be looking to top up the list with some established "guns". Will any of the boys be coming back?

Well! Firstly I don't regard St Bedes/Mentone as a district club as you suggested in your ealier post. And for what it's worth I don't consider their junior development to be a match for the others anyhow. You, of all people here, should be more across that than me.

Rovers have a good program linked to the SMJFL as has Ormond and some others. It's just my view that the junior development at Beaumaris is better managed than most and I'd suggest the results over recent years show that to be the case. I know less about Fitzroy other than they are a well administered club.
The junior footy club is referred to as Mentone whenever we need to refer to something in regards to the club, players or whatever. It's not possible for it to be an old boys club when the kids can't go to school there until year 7, and even then a fair spread head to Mentone Grammar, Haileybury or the local high schools. Sure there is an element of old boys playing in the VAFA teams but you would be surprised by the % who have no affiliation at all with the College in both the junior club and the VAFA club.

The junior footy club is referred to as Mentone whenever we need to refer to something in regards to the club, players or whatever. It's not possible for it to be an old boys club when the kids can't go to school there until year 7, and even then a fair spread head to Mentone Grammar, Haileybury or the local high schools. Sure there is an element of old boys playing in the VAFA teams but you would be surprised by the % who have no affiliation at all with the College in both the junior club and the VAFA club.

A sprinkling of Mentone Grammar boys – Garside D & G and Rowlands but nearly all the rest of their senior group are St Bedes old boys. Can’t speak for their juniors – as you rightly point out they have no school afflation until about U13s but proportionally their seniors have as a high a rate of old boys as anyone in the comp, as so do their 19s.

A sprinkling of Mentone Grammar boys – Garside D & G and Rowlands but nearly all the rest of their senior group are St Bedes old boys. Can’t speak for their juniors – as you rightly point out they have no school afflation until about U13s but proportionally their seniors have as a high a rate of old boys as anyone in the comp, as so do their 19s.
an interesting aside is that Rowlands played in U15 and U16 flags with Beauy, captaining the 2nd one.

Okay, enough about junior feeder clubs, what about tomorrow's Grand Final ? Is it a lay-down for Blacks ? And with the two clubs featuring in both games, it should set them up for a solid season in the top bracket next year.

Grand Final
Seniors
University Blacks vs Beaumaris
Reserves

Okay, enough about junior feeder clubs, what about tomorrow's Grand Final ? Is it a lay-down for Blacks ? And with the two clubs featuring in both games, it should set them up for a solid season in the top bracket next year.

Grand Final
Seniors
Reserves

Beauy in both. Seniors have 7 changes from last time they met and inaccurate kicking (yes I know its bad football) inflated the margin. Will hopefully run Blacks off their feet. Good luck to both teams.

One thing that wasn't recognised was the slashing game (off the interchange) by Shanahan (No. 18 SKOBs) in last week's game. Some of the young SKOBs looked a bit overawed by the finals experience but he looked tip-top.

Uni's Forwards

4 Talls -Foster in the box, a roaming Slabbert, dependable Jake Matthews (who can play back) but the smoky is Jackson Roder (a youngster who tore SKOBS apart earlier in the year, doubles up as 2nd ruck). Back that up with say Gaylor (mobile but plays tall) and cheeky Huw Lacey is looking quite threatening....

Having seen both sides twice. In good conditions I will go for Beaumaris. Better spread in my opinion suited for ELSTERNWICK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both sides look to be pretty much at full strength.

Uni have named 23 -with perhaps Cam Turner to miss out.
Beauy one change - with an eye on strengthening their backline - Jackson Leigh replaces young Timothy Cumming. Di Natale, the coach's whipping boy looks like starting in the Ressies.

Petering - great vertical leap, strong overhead, at his best one on one - half forward, uses his tricks.
Murton - hit the ground running last week, Beauy will be hoping for similar creativity this week.
Beauy's backline a little on the slow side (Ensor and Coote, the latter with his gammy left foot) but really well structured - would imagine Kempo is all over the way they bring the ball out of defence.
Watch for the high tackles (on say a Richardson or a Lahy) early - last week smalls Dowd and Charles copped it.

Should be a cracking game - Uni have been the best side all year - Beauy have come from 3rd position -

Uni will win, and will win well if they are able to shut down Beauy's switch / spread game.

PI

Hey guys i have a question, this isnt probably the place but i need help.. do point cook have an under 19s (western suburbs) side in the vafa??? if your turn 19 in dec can i play in this league??? thanks!! :) any pre season tips havent played footy since u14s

Interesting. Would one be excess Beaumaris players to Black Rock? Just pose the question, as the word on the SFL boards is that Black Rock struggling while a club 1klm down the road is flying.

Not an entirely new concept. A few years back our club had an arrangement with an SFL U18 team ratified by both leagues that surplus U19s could interchange between comps thus guaranteeing a game of football for ours and ensuring the viability of a team for them.

Cam Beck to leave OMs and play with mates at the Tonners. Look forward to the clash of those 2 clubs at the Junction. Expect some fire.

Cam Beck would be a nice addition to the tonners, with some big names also coming back from travel/breaks and a couple players returning from surgeries. But they never seem to deliver for a club who believe they belong in A grade. Maybe seeing bayside rivals beauy go up gives them greater hunger.
Word from skevs players is that the mass holiday departure will not be happening again and that preseason is heavy. Mark them down for a top year. Werribee pleading to get back the quality workmen that departed elsewhere.
Any other goss?

Love you long time reader here, thought I would post.

Any real news in B other than someone changing clubs? Any real recruits at any clubs? This board is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back