Premier B - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1401b.jpg

Slightly off topic.

What's with 3 A Grade teams with their 3rds in Premier B.

I can live with OT as they are in a correct grade for their ability (based on past years experiences).

But Beay and OB, both of whom win by over 100 points.

Love to complain about OX 4ths but they cant have 8 teams in A Grade 3rds. Pity!!

Please change today or B Grade 3rds will cease to be viable for clubs whoi are having teams because the league say they have too.

Max "Step up and get out" Leader

Slightly off topic.

What's with 3 A Grade teams with their 3rds in Premier B.

I can live with OT as they are in a correct grade for their ability (based on past years experiences).

But Beay and OB, both of whom win by over 100 points.

Love to complain about OX 4ths but they cant have 8 teams in A Grade 3rds. Pity!!

Please change today or B Grade 3rds will cease to be viable for clubs whoi are having teams because the league say they have too.

Max "Step up and get out" Leader

When we are talking about anything coming out of VAFA HQ at the moment we should queue the circus music. It is an absolute shambles on so many levels and those at the coalface in club land will know exactly what I mean.

To list all of the grading, fixturing, registration and admin issues here would take forever. I feel sorry for those left behind to try and manage the workload following Tim Noonan’s departure but the buck stops at the top.

At the moment we have an 8 team Premier 'A' 3rds comp. Old Brighton and Beaumaris 3rds should go straight back up to make a 10 team draw in both competitions.

How about only 8 teams in Under 19 premier, now that is a shambles.

Spot on Brian. Absolute shambles. In fact several questionable gradings right through the 19s comp.

Keen observers of U19s football will notice that once again a particular club with a recent history of winning flags in the bottom grade has remained in that division as they never get promoted. Each time they have been graded higher they enter an U18s team instead and then re-join the 19s in the bottom division the next year. No wonder their senior club has stagnated. This is what happens when you let the tail wag the dog.

Back to the football. Uni blues were sensational. Have watched a lot of B football last few years and UB clearly the best side I have seen. OMs had a pretty good team and have been very competitive at this level. UB's looked like a good A grade team. Size in key positions and skill and pace elsewhere. The Uni oval looked a treat.

Back to the football. Uni blues were sensational. Have watched a lot of B football last few years and UB clearly the best side I have seen. OMs had a pretty good team and have been very competitive at this level. UB's looked like a good A grade team. Size in key positions and skill and pace elsewhere. The Uni oval looked a treat.

Blues were pretty reasonable ‘A’ grade outfit last year. About 6 ½ wins from memory which keep you up most years. Aside from Carey who were way off the pace it was a pretty even comp. They lost a few close ones and with teams so evenly matched that hurt them badly. Last winter the Uni was the worst track I have seen in the ammos since the 70s. Largely beyond their control but I hope for everyone’s sake they have fixed the ground.

For what its worth, it appears my fears of Uni Blues/Carey dominating the comp will come through. Enjoy the season and I look forward to a more even 2015 Premier B.

Slight overreaction FWIW. AJAX were also impressive. Skevs will come good (let's hope its not another season of a certain poster telling us every week that they are missing 23 of their best 22) Never known a club to have so many guns out every week!
There will be plenty of twists and turns like always.

Last winter the Uni was the worst track I have seen in the ammos since the 70s. Largely beyond their control but I hope for everyone’s sake they have fixed the ground.

I don't play for Uni but am at Melb Uni every day and am pleased to say that the ground is looking fantastic. Also, new club rooms look pretty good however, like a lot of the architecture at the uni, it seems a little out of place.

I don't play for Uni but am at Melb Uni every day and am pleased to say that the ground is looking fantastic. Also, new club rooms look pretty good however, like a lot of the architecture at the uni, it seems a little out of place.

The ground always looks fantastic between about rounds 1-4. It's the middle of winter that will be the true test. Last year was disraceful, and more matches should have been called off than actually were due to the state of the ground.

The ground always looks fantastic between about rounds 1-4. It's the middle of winter that will be the true test. Last year was disraceful, and more matches should have been called off than actually were due to the state of the ground.
At least there's somewhere reasonable for teams to change apparently. So that's a plus.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least there's somewhere reasonable for teams to change apparently. At least that's a plus.

I can't believe the VAFA has issues with grounds in B Grade. They have issues with grounds lower in the grades. Don't tell me the upper echelon can't provide proper playing facilities.

I can't believe the VAFA has issues with grounds in B Grade. They have issues with grounds lower in the grades. Don't tell me the upper echelon can't provide proper playing facilities.
Think it's more a municipal issue than a VAFA one generally speaking. Toorak Park was a shocker for a significant part of last year.

Think it's more a municipal issue than a VAFA one generally speaking. Toorak Park was a shocker for a significant part of last year.

Porbably the two the worst grounds in the middle of winter in A Grade are Toorak Park and University oval. We are talking about two district cricket grounds, but its more an issue with use (or overuse) than anything. Both of these grounds have heavy use in winter by multiple clubs sharing the ground which doesn't help. Ground sharing is an issue that the VAFA can look at, although i understand that fewer grounds than ever before are available this year to the VAFA across all divisions, so this may become an increasing problem.

I'm guessing University Oval is controlled by the school, thus the chances of them being forced off for ground repairs would appear nominal. As a Fitzroy supporter, I can recall our seasons from 2004-2006 being affected due to the City of Yarra being unable to fix the drainage and surface of our ground.

A nomadic existence, something us Roys never experienced when we were in the VFL/AFL :D

I'm guessing University Oval is controlled by the school, thus the chances of them being forced off for ground repairs would appear nominal. As a Fitzroy supporter, I can recall our seasons from 2004-2006 being affected due to the City of Yarra being unable to fix the drainage and surface of our ground.

A nomadic existence, something us Roys never experienced when we were in the VFL/AFL :D
Apart from the name - what is the association with the VFL/AFL. I thought that Fitzroy had evolved from Uni Reds .

Fitzroy Football Club effectively incorporated the Fitzroy Reds at the end of 2008...it's a great mashup of Fitzroy people who followed the club in the VFL/AFL, people who were involved with the Uni Reds, people from the Fitzroy Junior football club and people from the Fitzroy area supporting local footy. After our win last week, there should be a good crowd at the BSO this Saturday.

Apart from the name - what is the association with the VFL/AFL. I thought that Fitzroy had evolved from Uni Reds .

The Fitzroy / University Reds no longer exist. The Reds were incorporated into the Fitzroy Football Club in December 2008 at their own request. The Reds gave up their place in the VAFA and were replaced by the Fitzroy Football Club for the 2009 season. The Fitzroy Reds transferred all their assets to Fitzroy Football Club and ceased to exist as an entity, except as incorporated into the existing Fitzroy Football Club. Therefore the club that exists in the VAFA today is the same club that was formed in 1883 and competed for a hundred years in the VFL/AFL.

Great win on the weekend against St Kevins. A win this weekend against Old Haileybury could set the Roys up for a very solid season.

The Fitzroy / University Reds no longer exist. The Reds were incorporated into the Fitzroy Football Club in December 2008 at their own request. The Reds gave up their place in the VAFA and were replaced by the Fitzroy Football Club for the 2009 season. The Fitzroy Reds transferred all their assets to Fitzroy Football Club and ceased to exist as an entity, except as incorporated into the existing Fitzroy Football Club. Therefore the club that exists in the VAFA today is the same club that was formed in 1883 and competed for a hundred years in the VFL/AFL.

Great win on the weekend against St Kevins. A win this weekend against Old Haileybury could set the Roys up for a very solid season.

You'll be a shoo-in against OH - They'll be in for a very long year...

I have a feeling there will be some very big scores when the top echelon meet the bottom echelon during the season.

Other teams:

What a pity Uni Blues / Blacks will be playing in a quagmire from the first bounce of season 2014 until the bitter end. You really cant see it standing up to this continual rain, not to mention the "traffic" it will be asked to carry throughout the season.
RIP Uni Oval.
Three (3) V-Line Cup Under 15 Championship Games played at Uni Oval on Tuesday in the rain, another four (4) Wednesday and also Melbourne Uni versus Monash Uni womens match yesterday
Tan Man,20 minutes ago

The weeks games:

Fitzroy vs Old Haileybury
Old Carey vs University Blues
Ajax
vs Mazenod
Caulfield Grammerians vs Old Ivanhoe
Old Melburnians vs St Kevins

so at this very early juncture it appears we have

uni blues

ajax

st kevins(in no order- these five are grouped)
old carey
fitzroy
caulfield
old haileybury

OI
Mazenod

OM

looks a fairly even comp. Obviously teams will change, there will be injuries and returning players

but

Will anyone catch Blues?

Is Ajax the early favourite for promotion.

Can either of the bottom three bridge the gap to the next five?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back