Premier B - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

G'day Gents
I wonder if anyone from old Melbourne would be able to help,as i note Fitzroy are scheduled to play the old boys in two weekends. Anyway im wondering as to where the game will take place as i believe they will be vacating the Junction oval? Or at least that is what I have been told.

G'day Gents
I wonder if anyone from old Melbourne would be able to help,as i note Fitzroy are scheduled to play the old boys in two weekends. Anyway im wondering as to where the game will take place as i believe they will be vacating the Junction oval? Or at least that is what I have been told.
Have you looked at the fixture? It's being played at the oval across the road in Albert Park

Sad to see Caulfield forfeit their Ressies this week. Probably the largest school in Melbourne yet has had virtually no APS success. Relies on scholarships rather than development. Imagine will struggle to get back to B grade. The only APS school [apart from Geelong] that has never been competitive in the Ammos. Shows how difficult it is to develop a commitment to the school old boys when there is a multi campus program.

Sad to see Caulfield forfeit their Ressies this week. Probably the largest school in Melbourne yet has had virtually no APS success. Relies on scholarships rather than development. Imagine will struggle to get back to B grade. The only APS school [apart from Geelong] that has never been competitive in the Ammos. Shows how difficult it is to develop a commitment to the school old boys when there is a multi campus program.

Hasn't been a problem for Wesley. Have played in 4 of the last 7 ‘A’ grade grand finals and they are a co-ed school. Xavs have a what you might consider a reasonable record. Don’t they have a multi campus program?

Disagree. Caulfield have been in the Ammos continuously for 95 years. Tick. They have gained promotion to A Grade 5 times, winning a flag in A In 1970.
Not sure how this can equate to never being competitive in Ammmos.

Hampton Rovers have announced that Owen Lalor will be the new Rovers coach for 2016 and beyond. Lalor will be replacing Guy Martyn who will step down at the conclusion of tomorrow's final round game against Parkdale Vultures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hampton Rovers have announced that Owen Lalor will be the new Rovers coach for 2016 and beyond. Lalor will be replacing Guy Martyn who will step down at the conclusion of tomorrow's final round game against Parkdale Vultures.

Have heard a rumour that tomorrow will be Matty Robbins final game for Hampton Rovers, is he looking at retirement or is looking to play else where in 2016 chasing coin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consider this. In Guy Martyn's 57 games in charge at Hampton Rovers, he'll finish with a amazing winning record of 71% and two flags in a row. How many coaches in the past could do what Guy Martyn has done in such a short space of time? And bear in mind, prior to Martyn's appointment in 2012, the Rovers were coming off their worst record in their history with a 0-18 record in Premier C. To turn the club around in such a short timeframe is extraordinary.

Consider this. In Guy Martyn's 57 games in charge at Hampton Rovers, he'll finish with a amazing winning record of 71% and two flags in a row. How many coaches in the past could do what Guy Martyn has done in such a short space of time? And bear in mind, prior to Martyn's appointment in 2012, the Rovers were coming off their worst record in their history with a 0-18 record in Premier C. To turn the club around in such a short timeframe is extraordinary.

Don't forget your President

True Jas but the cattle at Martin’s disposal was infinitely better than what Russell Barnes had to work with. Not questioning his commitment to the club and you can’t blame someone for picking up some coin before their playing days finish but I believe Guy was one of many Rovers who disappeared during this time and Barney was left with a very inexperienced group who to be blunt were simply not up to that level. Same with Jim Westhead. Was overseeing the club during some pretty dark times and credit to him and the other sfor at least keeping a foundation for the others to build on.

Notwithstanding that Martin and the others worked very hard get players back to the club, it has been said before that in 2012 Barnes had a D grade team playing C grade and in 2013 Martin had a C grade team playing in D grade

True Jas but the cattle at Martin’s disposal was infinitely better than what Russell Barnes had to work with. Not questioning his commitment to the club and you can’t blame someone for picking up some coin before their playing days finish but I believe Guy was one of many Rovers who disappeared during this time and Barney was left with a very inexperienced group who to be blunt were simply not up to that level. Same with Jim Westhead. Was overseeing the club during some pretty dark times and credit to him and the other sfor at least keeping a foundation for the others to build on.

Notwithstanding that Martin and the others worked very hard get players back to the club, it has been said before that in 2012 Barnes had a D grade team playing C grade and in 2013 Martin had a C grade team playing in D grade

Totally agree with this. Barney's list was decimated by the loss/departure of heaps of quality players (including Martyn himself).

A lot harder to coach a weak list to survive than a strong list to succeed.

A feeder means that your juniors FEED into your senior program. The U19's won the flag because of a late season influx of Brighton Grammar boys. I have not seen a weaker reserves team in B grade. The seniors however are very competitive.

Gee how bad must Parkdale's ressies be according to your theory, given they were rolled today by the Rovers?

Could the current St Kevins team be the best seen in Premier B history? And how does this team compared to the 1996 SKOB premiership side?

Just an idea to jazz up the VAFA a bit and I realize that this wouldn't happen very often(nor would you want it to).But I've always thought that the premiers of one of the lower grades should have the right to challenge the A grade premiers at season's end if they so desire for the title of Amateur champions.As I said it would be hard to imagine any club lower than B would exercise the right but if they did the A premiers would have to front up.

Hard to get up again. The relegation system allows us to know who the champion team is. A Grade winner. There can be no argument here.

Just an idea to jazz up the VAFA a bit and I realize that this wouldn't happen very often(nor would you want it to).But I've always thought that the premiers of one of the lower grades should have the right to challenge the A grade premiers at season's end if they so desire for the title of Amateur champions.As I said it would be hard to imagine any club lower than B would exercise the right but if they did the A premiers would have to front up.

in theory: great idea

in reality: terrible idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back