Premier B - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Way, way too early to speculate on lists.

That said, much of the stuff you've written is wide of the mark, even at this early stage. Rovers have no depth for example. Could have sworn they won the U19s GF by a margin. Have a very strong junior development program. Plus an alignment with Sandringham.

Interesting to see the much travelled Matty Robbins returning to Boss James. Hey bedford.

We shall see about their depth. 9th in Prem C reserves and won a Under 19 South Flag. Would dare say they wouldn't have even made finals in Premier 19s. I suspect the only one wide of the mark here AM is you!

Noticed in the Herald Sun that the VAFA is considering pulling out of the AFL Vic Metro Championships due to the fact that clubs from the EFL are using it to recruit VAFA rep players to their league.

Thoughts?

Interesting. My club (and I’m sure many others) has been raped by country leagues for years and yet we have no trouble playing against the VCFL and exposing our top talent in those matches. 3 Old Xavs blokes across to the EFL and all a sudden there is outrage.

Similar sentiments expressed by our CEO in the local leader a few weeks back. All of sudden, according to Sholly, money is now ruining local football. Just because Goss, Waller and Ambrose are being well remunerated in the EFL does not make this a new phenomenon Michael.

5 of the top 6 in our 2013 B & F were lost to country clubs in 2014. I assume on that basis the VAFA won’t be playing against the VCFL in 2015.

So, would it be better for the VAFA to go back and play against SA, WA and Tasmania at Under 23 and Senior levels in State footy again?

So, would it be better for the VAFA to go back and play against SA, WA and Tasmania at Under 23 and Senior levels in State footy again?

The "horse" has well and truly bolted, not playing the East districts is irrelavent. At the end of the 2014 A grade Finals series, the phone
ringing on the top 10 players from the top 6 teams (and thats probably conservative) would have made the Royal Childrens Hospital Easter Telathon look like a Teddy Bears picnic................

We shall see about their depth. 9th in Prem C reserves and won a Under 19 South Flag. Would dare say they wouldn't have even made finals in Premier 19s. I suspect the only one wide of the mark here AM is you!

Reserves lost 6 games by under 4 goals and finished with a % of 95. With 51 players turned over in the Seniors, you can only imagine how unsettling it was for the Reserves. 9th with a 5-12-1 record might appear as a lack of depth on the surface, but a little bit more research shows it was a competitive season with the W's being elusive.
As far as the u19s goes, they won the South flag by 10 goals. Perhaps they may not have made finals in Premier, but you're speculating on something that can never be answered. They could well have played finals in Premier with a side that won its last 12 games by an average margin of 11 goals.
The club has been very proactive in formalising a junior program that benefits the senior club, and as mentioned in a previous post, the alignment with Sandringham is an attractive proposition for the kids we've lost to stronger clubs in the Ammos in years past.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised when going to the Premier B/Premier Grand Finals next year to see a small group of people sitting either in the outer or in the grandstand taking notes on prospective players from the VAFA to be recruited to the metro/country league club(s) for 2016.

I wouldn't be surprised when going to the Premier B/Premier Grand Finals next year to see a small group of people sitting either in the outer or in the grandstand taking notes on prospective players from the VAFA to be recruited to the metro/country league club(s) for 2016.

Jas, it probably already happened at the 2014 GF and 13GF, and 12GF, etc. etc. etc.....

No I’m not suggesting we should not play these other competitions. I’m just making the point that the recent outrage is somewhat amusing when it has in fact been going on for years. Seems that some personal affiliations might have clouded the issue.

No I’m not suggesting we should not play these other competitions. I’m just making the point that the recent outrage is somewhat amusing when it has in fact been going on for years. Seems that some personal affiliations might have clouded the issue.

Especialy when it hits your Club and 2 or 3 of your best players "walk"..........

Reserves lost 6 games by under 4 goals and finished with a % of 95. With 51 players turned over in the Seniors, you can only imagine how unsettling it was for the Reserves. 9th with a 5-12-1 record might appear as a lack of depth on the surface, but a little bit more research shows it was a competitive season with the W's being elusive.
As far as the u19s goes, they won the South flag by 10 goals. Perhaps they may not have made finals in Premier, but you're speculating on something that can never be answered. They could well have played finals in Premier with a side that won its last 12 games by an average margin of 11 goals.
The club has been very proactive in formalising a junior program that benefits the senior club, and as mentioned in a previous post, the alignment with Sandringham is an attractive proposition for the kids we've lost to stronger clubs in the Ammos in years past.
The standard in Premier under 19's down the bottom end this year was laughable, as was the Under 19 South comp at the top end from the games I watched this year. However, the top end talent was supreme, keep in mind that St Bernards had zero u19's playing seniors in their Premiership team.On the other hand, St Kevin's had 7 in their senior finals teams, and still blew away the other U19 teams in the comp on a weekly basis.

In regards to the ressies, there's some pretty poor Premier B reserves teams, but also some awesome teams who would make finals in seniors in D1 at the very least. I question your alignment with Sandringham, what's the point of your better kids playing development league footy, seems like a waste of time IMHO.

Last edited:

Mick I agree it is very difficult to quantify the various strengths of the different grades but I will try and provide some context as I have a reasonable understanding of the U19s structure as our club enters teams in Premier and South every season.

Our club has been very successful in 19 Premier over recent seasons but these things tend to ebb and flow and last season we fielded our weakest side for 20 years. Not helped of course by the fact our senior’s battled and a good number of our best unders were entrenched in our seniors. Our 19 Premier team finished bottom 3, won maybe 4 games for the season and got some real touch ups from the stronger teams. Our 19 South team played finals. Finished the H & A in 3rd place and lost the 1st semi to a good Rovers team by a reasonable margin after staying with them for 3 and half quarters.

Conservative estimate is that our Premier team (our weakest in many years) would have beaten our South team by 20 goals. Considering our Premier team lost by that margin fairly regularly during the season in their grade I would suggest that despite HR doing well in the South grade they are miles off the pace in the grand scheme of U19 football. If as suggested HR are now benefiting from a good junior program perhaps they will test themselves at a higher level next season, at least Div 2. From what I hear they had some real talent from Brighton Grammar come in when the APS season finished. Hopefully they will stay with Rovers rather than Old Brighton now you are in the same senior division.

I guess time will tell re the alignment with Sandringham but it might do more harm than good to be affiliated with a VFL team that has seconds.

Question the alignment all you like. You might want a full understanding of it to have an informed opinion.
You can't do much more than win flags in a cake walk UM.;)

It's way too early to speculate really. But if you can hold your list together, add some up-n-comers from the unders plus some class and experience with the likes of Robbins and Corp reckon you'll be thereabouts.

Can't see much downside in having strong links to Sandy either. Not only from a player movement perspective but the exchange of know-how as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. My club (and I’m sure many others) has been raped by country leagues for years and yet we have no trouble playing against the VCFL and exposing our top talent in those matches. 3 Old Xavs blokes across to the EFL and all a sudden there is outrage.

Similar sentiments expressed by our CEO in the local leader a few weeks back. All of sudden, according to Sholly, money is now ruining local football. Just because Goss, Waller and Ambrose are being well remunerated in the EFL does not make this a new phenomenon Michael.

5 of the top 6 in our 2013 B & F were lost to country clubs in 2014. I assume on that basis the VAFA won’t be playing against the VCFL in 2015.
Just wondering, back in the old days when the VAFA played against SA and WA (and occasionally Tasmania during the AAFC Carnival), was there any raids (or poaching) of SA, WA & Tasmanian players by VAFA clubs and vice versa?

Just wondering, back in the old days when the VAFA played against SA and WA (and occasionally Tasmania during the AAFC Carnival), was there any raids (or poaching) of SA, WA & Tasmanian players by VAFA clubs and vice versa?
Back in those days especially during the 70's SA were the only real threat to Vic in terms of playing standard and given that most of their State team were being paid under the table they would have been difficult to recruit!!

Back in those days especially during the 70's SA were the only real threat to Vic in terms of playing standard and given that most of their State team were being paid under the table they would have been difficult to recruit!!
So, why didn't the Australian Amateur Football Council take action against SA over the player payments, whereas the VAFA banned it altogether?

So, why didn't the Australian Amateur Football Council take action against SA over the player payments, whereas the VAFA banned it altogether?
Way back then the SA amateurs were clearly the second strongest comp in the state after the SANFL and although player payments were against the rules nothing could ever be proven so a blind eye was turned.It made them strong and the AAFC stronger!

Way back then the SA amateurs were clearly the second strongest comp in the state after the SANFL and although player payments were against the rules nothing could ever be proven so a blind eye was turned.It made them strong and the AAFC stronger!
Think the VAFA knew players were being paid in both the SA and WA comps. At least in WA it was legit to be remunerated and hang on to your amateur status - I think. May have been a cap.

The VAFA was extra keen to get the interstate comp ticking over with carnivals every few years so they sucked-up the money issues in order to achieve that outcome.

Geez! Nick really gets about.

r8s7jb.jpg

FWIW back in the old days, players were still offered cash but the VAFA had the no reinstatement rule so if you left you could never come back. All that changed about 10 years ago to attract players back to the VAFA, they can't now sook about losing players due to the rule they changed that made it easier to leave.

FWIW back in the old days, players were still offered cash but the VAFA had the no reinstatement rule so if you left you could never come back. All that changed about 10 years ago to attract players back to the VAFA, they can't now sook about losing players due to the rule they changed that made it easier to leave.
just to clarify what FWIW was driving at:prior to 1978 the rules where extremely strict-if you left the ammos and ACCEPTED money(even if playing League football) you couldn't come back! Only way was to play League footy as an amateur which I think Geoff Ward(CG to St.Kilda) did.In '78 the reinstatement rule was introduced which was far from open slather i.e. you must have come from the VAFA in the first place and admitted to receiving money.Once reinstated if you ever left the VAFA and played for money again the door was shut(think Mordi Bromberg ex Ajax/St.Kilda)was an example of this.Just to highlight how strict the rules were prior to '78 we had a player who did pro running in the summer but played footy for nothing.When our club joined the VAFA he wasn't allowed to play!

just to clarify what FWIW was driving at:prior to 1978 the rules where extremely strict-if you left the ammos and ACCEPTED money(even if playing League football) you couldn't come back! Only way was to play League footy as an amateur which I think Geoff Ward(CG to St.Kilda) did.In '78 the reinstatement rule was introduced which was far from open slather i.e. you must have come from the VAFA in the first place and admitted to receiving money.Once reinstated if you ever left the VAFA and played for money again the door was shut(think Mordi Bromberg ex Ajax/St.Kilda)was an example of this.Just to highlight how strict the rules were prior to '78 we had a player who did pro running in the summer but played footy for nothing.When our club joined the VAFA he wasn't allowed to play!
Would the AAFC have suspended or expel SA from the Council around the late 1970s-early 1980s if they had known about the under-the-table payments the SAAFL clubs were doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back