C Section Premier C - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though the VAFA doesn't have a final 5 system, the Rovers v Monash could be what might be termed a virtual Qualifying Final match, because whoever wins that gets to play Marcellin in the 2nd Semi Final.
Jas

You are somewhat presumtious, given HR could barely get over the bottom team.

Max "see you next year, unless the rumours are true" Leader

Jas

You are somewhat presumtious, given HR could barely get over the bottom team.

Max "see you next year, unless the rumours are true" Leader

For what its worth, it's not over till its over Maxy! Still a chance.....
Big result at the Runway throwing PEGs finals chances into ruins and giving the Ashers a crack at top 2.
I reckon the 4 is set now just need the order.

Banyule votes to head elsewhere in 2015 - http://bit.ly/1mkusO4

Thoughts?

This is an interesting one as I would have thought Banyule provided a 'point of difference' in the area. Now they are competing on level terms with their competitors, I would think the change would be easier for players to move for greater money offers. Banyule's operating costs will explode of they want to compete with the high level paying clubs in the NFL - can they afford it? Just have to look at Parkside that did the same thing and have struggled ever since they moved.
Whether you are an old boy club or an district club, it takes committed people with a plan to make the club a success.
I know from our experience at the Nodders - we took our eye of the ball for about 8-10 years and for the grace of God we didn't drop down the grades but struggled in C for numerous years. With no juniors and a vastly changed demographic at the school, the future look bleak. But, the club turned it around. Got a new committee with a plan for the future and now we are seeing the fruits of the hard labour.
VAFA clubs are continually going to be targeted by paying clubs whether you are an old boy club or a district club - its a fact of life. Our job is provide a point of difference to the paying leagues. By providing that difference, I believe, gives VAFA clubs its greatest advantage.
Maybe for old boy clubs moving to the paying leagues is just not an option.....and, maybe thats a good thing.

This is an interesting one as I would have thought Banyule provided a 'point of difference' in the area. Now they are competing on level terms with their competitors, I would think the change would be easier for players to move for greater money offers. Banyule's operating costs will explode of they want to compete with the high level paying clubs in the NFL - can they afford it? Just have to look at Parkside that did the same thing and have struggled ever since they moved.
Whether you are an old boy club or an district club, it takes committed people with a plan to make the club a success.
I know from our experience at the Nodders - we took our eye of the ball for about 8-10 years and for the grace of God we didn't drop down the grades but struggled in C for numerous years. With no juniors and a vastly changed demographic at the school, the future look bleak. But, the club turned it around. Got a new committee with a plan for the future and now we are seeing the fruits of the hard labour.
VAFA clubs are continually going to be targeted by paying clubs whether you are an old boy club or a district club - its a fact of life. Our job is provide a point of difference to the paying leagues. By providing that difference, I believe, gives VAFA clubs its greatest advantage.
Maybe for old boy clubs moving to the paying leagues is just not an option.....and, maybe thats a good thing.
Think they may be quite cashed-up and prepared to spread a bit of it around. Which might be part of the reason a few NFL clubs aren't overly keen on welcoming them.

I ventured out to Keilor to watch the PEGS v Monash game. Very even contest with Monash kicking late goals to flatter the result. It was good to see two good coaches at work as the moves PEGS made at 1/2 time really got them back into the game, and then the changes to the Monash forward line in the last enabled them to kick the easy goals at the end. Its a pleasant change.
Monash are very good at running forward of the ball which they were able to catch PEGS out on numerous occasions, while costly turnovers hurt PEGS just when they had a chance to break the game open.
If PEGS aren't good enough to make the 4, as they looked every bit as good as Monash, then I'd hate to see how good the teams are that do eventually make it.

Some thoughts for you GN:
Monash beat PEGs by 25 goals earlier in the year. Not a finals worthy performance there.
Their game plan is not sustainable. They want to play like Hawthorn but that's unlikely to work week after week in C grade Ammos.

Pretty glad the Ex Nodders coaching panel stayed up in their lovely box. One or two of them have feasted on Monash over the years!

This is an interesting one as I would have thought Banyule provided a 'point of difference' in the area. Banyule's operating costs will explode of they want to compete with the high level paying clubs in the NFL - can they afford it? Just have to look at Parkside that did the same thing and have struggled ever since they moved.
Absolutely concur with both points.
From a money perspective add $80 - $100k immediately to running costs and that is just to enter 3rd Division in the NFL let alone progress and eventually compete in Division 1. The club is between a rock and hard place with a large outflow of players over the last 3 seasons to surrounding metropolitan clubs and a few more to country leagues. Traditionally at least they have had a strong junior program in the Yarra Junior League.
Reality bites hard but whatever the outcome let's hope the club at least shores up its short term future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a long way to go, at least 6 weeks. All that has happened is the members have voted to move, still needs to go to NFL, their clubs, VAFA and finally AFL Vic. A final answer won't be given until late sep - early oct

Uni Blues are 1. Not sure of the other.

Might be nothing in it but word is that Carey is the other and it relates to one player in particular. Bloody tough (i.e. almost impossible) to prove though. Also more than just a whisper that 2 ‘A’ grade clubs at the pointy end of the ladder have also been looked at. Again focus is on 1 player in particular at each club. Likewise unless they get anything short of an admission it is very difficult to prove.

So at least 2 VAFA clubs are being investigated for providing inducements to players??

So what is getting them a job that they are not suited for or giving them an air conditioning contract that they have not the expertise nor experience to do properly then - simple answer "an inducement, same as paying for their accommodation.

As you rightly point out Rooster nigh on impossible to prove unless the player "turns" on the club. Happens though.

1 club was mighty close to getting in all sorts 2 years ago when the "paid" player had not been paid for a couple of months as the club sponsor was struggling financially so the "paid" player made noises to the effect if you don't get me my money I will spill the beans... coincidentally the inducement appeared very quickly.

The story that I club legend told once at a public function was that he was coincidentally on a train trip overseas when he heard an Aussie voice talking to his girlfriend about the money he had been paid by a footy club during the season and how they had promised to increase it, the club legend saddled up alongside him and acted as though he knew little about footy and soon discovered he was referring to a "lilywhite" club in Victoria.

The rumored clubs are widely known in VAFA circles so it is no great secret. However this is not to say there is one shred of truth to any of it. Easy to chuck mud and there could no substance to any of this. For all we know it might have been generated by a disgruntled ex player, coach, official or even opposition club.

Like most VAFA followers I would be disappointed if a club was cheating but am heartened to see that at least some inquiries are being made.
The amount of players being gouged from VAFA clubs each year would suggest that if it is going on it is not widely accepted practice. The money being offered by some country and suburban clubs is obscene and any right minded VAFA club would not and could not compete. No wonder so many country and suburban clubs are battling to stay afloat.

Might be nothing in it but word is that Carey is the other and it relates to one player in particular. Bloody tough (i.e. almost impossible) to prove though. Also more than just a whisper that 2 ‘A’ grade clubs at the pointy end of the ladder have also been looked at. Again focus is on 1 player in particular at each club. Likewise unless they get anything short of an admission it is very difficult to prove.
What a surprise, the top two clubs are named!! Heaven forbid that hard work has gone into either club. Im guessing the next suspects may be OMs or Mazenod? Of course Uni Blacks and St Bernards must be the suspicious ones in A grade.

What a surprise, the top two clubs are named!! Heaven forbid that hard work has gone into either club. Im guessing the next suspects may be OMs or Mazenod? Of course Uni Blacks and St Bernards must be the suspicious ones in A grade.

Yes probably no coincidence. I was told this by someone close the club and he even named the player who is supposedly subject to the rumour and the suspected source of the complaint. They (OC) are apparently completely untroubled by the allegation.

With regard to Banyule's decision, I have a couple of concerns based on running and being on the executive of several clubs over the years.
A reported 'unanimous decision of members' always worries me. It normally suggests railroading or apathy for important decisions such as this.
I cannot believe that being situated directly next to two NFL competitors would give the Club assurance that they will remain competitive.
Players seeking payment can easily create a dutch auction without moving far.
To me, there is no doubt that Banyule could easily survive and be competitive by dropping a division or two in the VAFA whilst future planning took place.
They've spent 34 years in the VAFA and I just can't see why circumstances have changed that much.
Anyway, Ormond will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back