Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Sorry to see Perspective given a holiday. Previously I was affronted by some of his unresearched comments but now find them quite amusing. So as to set the record straight about Clayton being used as a VAFA finals venue. Monash council had previously given the ok for the VAFA to use Central Reserve. That offer was withdrawn very late in the piece due to issues around turf wicket preparations. Council then offered up some alterative venues in their council zone, including Scammel reserve. Clayton FC on hearing this contacted the VAFA offering their ground instead. Seems they had already budgeted for SFL finals and when they missed out it was likely to impact on their bottom line.

Personally I don’t rate the ground at all but with so many grades and councils not being so willing to assist I guess you take what you can get. So the VAFA were actually doing a battling SFL club a favour. Very gracious of them really.
I wonder would Phil Stevens have allowed that (the VAFA helping out an SFL club) to happen if he was CEO?

Rooster 24

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wonder would Phil Stevens have allowed that (the VAFA helping out an SFL club) to happen if he was CEO?

Why not? We are all footy clubs after all. With the changing demographic of the area Clayton have been going south rapidly over the last 10 years and you just never know - they might come knocking one day! This was a win win for both the tenant club and the VAFA so personally I can't see it being an issue. VAFA played finals at Jack Barker oval in Cheltenham a few years back Jase and still use EFL and NFL venues so its not something new. I think Benny was just happy to get enough venues to cover all the grades and accomodate the teams scattered all over metropolitan Melbourne.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
That's fair, but still not a good venue.
It's why the SFL flicked it I guess.

Arrant nonsense that it was in any respect an act of graciousness by the VAFA as someone suggested. It was solely an act of last resort.

London to a brick we won't be using it for finals next year unless the ground is substantially improved.

AM

Aug 18, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Surface was good, just too narrow. Everything else was ok including the canteen
That's interesting. Was told the poor playing surface was a major reason for the SFL preferring Heatherton.

Think I also heard Benny Goodman say something less than complimentary about the surface at the time he was contemplating whether to take-up their offer to play finals there.

Rooster 24

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's why the SFL flicked it I guess.

Arrant nonsense that it was in any respect an act of graciousness by the VAFA as someone suggested. It was solely an act of last resort.

London to a brick we won't be using it for finals next year unless the ground is substantially improved.

Correct. The gracious comment was very much tongue in check but the rest of it was factual. Scammel required temporary fencing and as I understand it the Krushers committee were not to fussed about manning the canteen and hosting the games whereas Clayton were. Preferred option is definitely Central Reserve but councils are notoriously fickle. With any luck Central will be back a venue next year.

BlackWhite

Debutant
Apr 13, 2011
Sandringham
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surface was good, just too narrow. Everything else was ok including the canteen
It's a shame the Ormond canteen has gone downhill in recent years.. WAS one of the better ones going around. Now no cheese with hot dogs. Was poor for the U/19 final the other week too.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
It's a shame the Ormond canteen has gone downhill in recent years.. WAS one of the better ones going around. Now no cheese with hot dogs. Was poor for the U/19 final the other week too.
always have cheese, but that was the last day of the season they run out. Still one of the best, but Parkdale is the best and with the best staff

Last edited:

redefine

Rookie
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Al

always have cheese, but that was the last day of the season they run out. Still one of the best, but Parkdale is the best and with the best staff

Looking forward to the resurfacing of parkdale after slogging away playing cricket there for the last 10 years and with the wet winter this year never seen it as bad. Hopefully the boys can win both flags this weekend and cap off a remarkable year!

AM

Aug 18, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
qo99bm.jpg

Big Duck 18

Debutant
Aug 29, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thoughts on the ressies GF ? Parkdale v PEGS. 1 v 2. Parkdale lost 2 games for the year and PEGS only the 1. Though Parkdale has won its past 2 encounters. Parkdale have their ones players that also played 2s unavailable and PEGS have close to their best reserve team in. Should be a tipping ressies GF, worth getting there early before the main event.

redefine

Rookie
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Thoughts on the ressies GF ? Parkdale v PEGS. 1 v 2. Parkdale lost 2 games for the year and PEGS only the 1. Though Parkdale has won its past 2 encounters. Parkdale have their ones players that also played 2s unavailable and PEGS have close to their best reserve team in. Should be a tipping ressies GF, worth getting there early before the main event.

I know not to many guys go from the 1s and 2s go up and down at parky more of the U19 boys seem to top up the 1s so the 2s will have pretty much same side as the one that beat PEGS last time they played. They are a good running side with a potent forward line and solid back 6 The 2 games they lost they got jumped in the first 1/4 and couldn't quite chase it down. If parky start well they should win.

Big Duck 18

Debutant
Aug 29, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeh fair points. Did notice that the Parkdale ressies did have some younger looking tall kids in the first final. I believe PEGS lost a few from that first final to injury during the game. This allowed Parkdale to run over the top a little. PEGS have 3-4 huge ins from that final, but lose a few due to injury. PEGS ressies team are all very close bunch of mates, unlike Parkdale most the team played 3-4-5 senior games during the year. Will be a ripper of a game. I agree start is crucial, always helps when team can settle early and play the game on their terms.

Uncle Mick

Club Legend
May 23, 2007
Hotel Bluff
AFL Club
Carlton
Hampton Rovers
Players used 51
14-4 season
WWWLLLWWWWLWWWWWWW-W
8-1 home
6-3 away – away side in SF2 brings it to 7-3
Avg points for 98
Avg points agst 73
Likely to go in with 11 changes from Rd.11 side
6 of the 11 played in last year’s flag and another missed through injury. Of the other 4; two unders have come through plus the names Martyn & Sharp.

Parkdale

Players used 46
10-8 season
LLLWLWWWWLWLLWWWWL-WW
7-2 home
3-6 away – away side in 2 finals brings it to 5-6
Avg points for 89
Avg points agst 77
Avg points fairly consistent with both finals
Likely to go in with 6 changes from Rd.11 side – Boland the most notable
Graham played all 18 games & SF1 before being replaced by Saroulis from Edi/Asp for the PF. Kid played 5 games of 19s before his senior debut last week. Suspect the only change will be a straight swap or they go in unchanged.

What does it all mean? No idea, but based on the numbers HR would have to go in warm favourites. Hard to believe a team that lost to Banyule in Rd.18 and won just over half its H&A fixture is playing in the big dance, but Parkdale have proven plenty of people wrong time and again this year.
Logic says our boys create history by going B2B for the first time in 67 years. Coincidentally the last time our Seniors went B2B our 19s won a flag.
Here’s to history repeating. Rovers by 6 goals in both games. Parkdale with something to celebrate in between.

Good luck to all teams playing tomorrow. Looks like a corker of a day for footy.

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva
What does it all mean? No idea, but based on the numbers HR would have to go in warm favourites. Hard to believe a team that lost to Banyule in Rd.18 and won just over half its H&A fixture is playing in the big dance, but Parkdale have proven plenty of people wrong time and again this year.
Logic says our boys create history by going B2B for the first time in 67 years. Coincidentally the last time our Seniors went B2B our 19s won a flag.
Here’s to history repeating. Rovers by 6 goals in both games. Parkdale with something to celebrate in between.

Good luck to all teams playing tomorrow. Looks like a corker of a day for footy.

Go easy Mick re Banyule, your boys only beat them on the last kick (on very close to it) of the day to win by 1 point.

Max "Getting used to this Thread" Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back