C Section Premier C - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion the VAFA take rep footy a fait bit more seriously than some other leagues. That may be due to the fact blokes that play in the EFL are on good coin and clubs paying the coin do not want them injured representing the EFL. Whereas the VAFA clubs do not pay players ( well most don't) and therefore are more inclined to support the concept, In most cases the VAFA have players that either all went to school together that play with the old boys or district clubs that have a junior infrastructure that all came through together which promotes that culture but I know of at least 2 VAFA clubs that do not support the concept and encourage their players to not be available. Yes EFL has many junior clubs too, but most of the better players in the EFL are not neccesarily "home grown" just look at the clearances this year.

Will be interesting. Good luck to all Leagues.

In my opinion the VAFA take rep footy a fait bit more seriously than some other leagues. That may be due to the fact blokes that play in the EFL are on good coin and clubs paying the coin do not want them injured representing the EFL. Whereas the VAFA clubs do not pay players ( well most don't) and therefore are more inclined to support the concept, In most cases the VAFA have players that either all went to school together that play with the old boys or district clubs that have a junior infrastructure that all came through together which promotes that culture but I know of at least 2 VAFA clubs that do not support the concept and encourage their players to not be available. Yes EFL has many junior clubs too, but most of the better players in the EFL are not neccesarily "home grown" just look at the clearances this year.

VAFA wear the "big V", what more incentive do you need to play rep football

On the whole the VAFA have a healthy respect to rep footy. To assemble a group of blokes with a salary cap of $0 who have rolled the EFL and then a team drawn from the best across the entire Vic Country in consecutive seasons demonstrates both the quality of the competition and the commitment of the players involved.

There is however a counter argument. I know many of the elite who because they are not being paid to play really enjoy a week off midyear rather than putting their bodies through more training and another game. I know the VAFA clubs had a very luke warm response to that Premiers cup thing run at Bulleen a few years back.

The VAFA have a lot of players unavailable for Saturday’s game. I would assume each league would be I the same boat.

Rooster you make some excellent points.
The whole concept of rep footy at senior level is dubious at best, I like the VAFA concept of under 21 style rep footy as that provides a forum for younger blokes to continue to push claims for a possible AFL listing. I like the AFL Vic junior championships for a similar reason whereby it gives the younger kids a chance to impress and be placed on TAC squads. The fact that leagues like the VAFA have a lot of players unavailable would indicate that this current concept is not that attractive to players and more attractive to League administrators.
Rooster I will always argue that an inducement does not always have to be "woompa" it can come in many financially desirable forms.. A salary cap is normally measured in "woompa" lucky that is the case with the "lilywhites".

On the whole the VAFA have a healthy respect to rep footy. To assemble a group of blokes with a salary cap of $0 who have rolled the EFL and then a team drawn from the best across the entire Vic Country in consecutive seasons demonstrates both the quality of the competition and the commitment of the players involved.

There is however a counter argument. I know many of the elite who because they are not being paid to play really enjoy a week off midyear rather than putting their bodies through more training and another game. I know the VAFA clubs had a very luke warm response to that Premiers cup thing run at Bulleen a few years back.

The VAFA have a lot of players unavailable for Saturday’s game. I would assume each league would be I the same boat.
Salary cap of $0 ! Really? Hmmmmm!

Salary cap of $0 ! Really? Hmmmmm!

Yep $0. I have been involved in Ammo footy for decades at a long term ‘A’ grade club. We have never paid 1 cent to player. A handful we might find jobs but our blokes pay for privlidge to play. Every year we get scalped and have players picked off by paying comps prepared to pay over the odds. This year we have really had the cleaners put through us but we still survive because there are still a core of blokes who want to play for 10 plus years at the same club with there mates.

Rather than take cheap shots with this unsubstantiated innuendo have some respect for those blokes still prepared to play for the love of the game and turn there back on easy bucks and this club hopping culture permeating some suburban and country leagues.

VAFA not perfect but on the whole it is a great competition and the standard just keeps getting better and better. Once again they have proved themselves the best metro comp in the state with their 3rd victory in 3 outings against the EFL. I see your comp did not fare so well. Bit surprised by that result to be honest as I have been hearing how much the standard in the SFL has imporved.

Yep $0. I have been involved in Ammo footy for decades at a long term ‘A’ grade club. We have never paid 1 cent to player. A handful we might find jobs but our blokes pay for privlidge to play. Every year we get scalped and have players picked off by paying comps prepared to pay over the odds. This year we have really had the cleaners put through us but we still survive because there are still a core of blokes who want to play for 10 plus years at the same club with there mates.

Rather than take cheap shots with this unsubstantiated innuendo have some respect for those blokes still prepared to play for the love of the game and turn there back on easy bucks and this club hopping culture permeating some suburban and country leagues.

VAFA not perfect but on the whole it is a great competition and the standard just keeps getting better and better. Once again they have proved themselves the best metro comp in the state with their 3rd victory in 3 outings against the EFL. I see your comp did not fare so well. Bit surprised by that result to be honest as I have been hearing how much the standard in the SFL has imporved.

Hear what your saying and totally believe that your club and possibly many others don't pay players in the VAFA. However i personally know of some that do. No big deal, but what urks most is this head in the sand stuff that the VAFA don't renumerate/pay players. It's just plain fantasy.

Having said that the VAFA is probably the premier comp in the state and all credit goes to them. Providng a high standard comp for so many players each week is highly commendable.

I just don't understand the need to deny the truth. So what if some VAFA clubs pay/remunerate some of their players?

Hear what your saying and totally believe that your club and possibly many others don't pay players in the VAFA. However i personally know of some that do. No big deal, but what urks most is this head in the sand stuff that the VAFA don't renumerate/pay players. It's just plain fantasy.

Having said that the VAFA is probably the premier comp in the state and all credit goes to them. Providng a high standard comp for so many players each week is highly commendable.

I just don't understand the need to deny the truth. So what if some VAFA clubs pay/remunerate some of their players?

Put up or shut up Demon - clubs and name or it's just the standard bullshit from rubbish leagues

Put up or shut up Demon - clubs and name or it's just the standard bullshit from rubbish leagues
In fairness, we know it has occurred in the past because clubs have been fined and relegated on occasions. Rare though they have been.

It would also be naive to say with certainty it could not be still going on in such a big diverse comp I'd suggest. It is also fanciful nonsense for anyone connected to a club to say with absolute certainty their club has never engaged in that sort of activity. There is no way for an individual to know that, particularly a club with a long history.

IMO the only clubs that may pay the odd player are in the lower divisions of the VAFA, clubs in the top 2 grades don't need to as kids want to play a high standard.

So what? - Well for a start it’s cheating.

Over the years this forum has been littered with anonymous posters and their “‘Personal Knowledge” None of which has ever been substantiated. Would love to hear just one person name the club, player and circumstances. If you have knowledge do the rest of the clubs a favor and lag them in.

Brian is spot on – the attraction in the higher grades is the standard of competition. Why would some player leave for a season or 2 to make some quick bucks in some $hit hole league if they can get paid to stay in the VAFA? If one or two blokes were getting some coin it would be grossly unfair on the twenty blokes who aren't. Would destroy the whole fabric of a club and would not be worth the risk.

You are correct on tha SFL, it has improved. It used to be really crap, now it's just crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to the VAFA the result on the week end makes it clear that they can muster a better rep team than any other league. It would never happen but it would be great to see the best team in the EFL play the best team in the VAFA IE; either Noble or Vermont at their very best against say a Xavs at their very best. Better than some VFL teams I would say.

The VAFA do not need to pay players at the high divisions as they have the resources to get them a job or perhaps find some accommodation, whether the latter is an inducement is their issue.

Again well done to the VAFA!

Bedford, how did you go on the week end? was the main game cut short? any significant injuries?? I hear full back badly damaged shoulder??

Round 1.

Hampton Rovers
vs Parkdale
Ormond vs Marcellin
Monash Blues vs Old Camberwell
PEGS vs Oakleigh
Peninsula
vs Banyule

Good to be back. Les tips for round one:
Parky too solid for the promoted rovers
Marcellin just over Bedfords mob
Monash will get the job done
pegs too good at home
Pirates win on their home deck too

Good luck to all. Cut the umpires some round 1 slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back