Premier League Player & Team Of The Season 2013/14

Remove this Banner Ad

So say Liverpool win the league. Just Suarez in the team of the year then?

I think if we win it, Skrtel, Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge will find themselves in.

Could also see Hendo or Sterling make the bench.

Not win the league. Just Gerrard and Suarez.

So say Liverpool win the league. Just Suarez in the team of the year then?
Winning the league doesn't mean s**t when giving out TOTY honours.

Suarez, Gerrard and Sturridge will all make the team.

PFA Players' Player of the Year Shortlist:
Luis Suarez
Steven Gerrard
Yaya Toure
Eden Hazard
Daniel Sturridge
Adam Lallana

PFA Young Player of the Year Shortlist:
Eden Hazard
Raheem Sterling
Ross Barkley
Luke Shaw
Daniel Sturridge
Aaron Ramsey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ypoty should be between sterling, barkley and shaw. hazard debuted in 2008 i believe, sturridge 2007 and ramsey 2006. it just doesn't make sense to have those sort of players in the young player category.

just repeating ourselves year after year though

Maybe influenced by the past few months, but for me Silva deserves a nomination ahead of Yaya any day. Yaya has been very good, but Silva has been putting in the type of performances that you just dont see in English football.

PFA player and young player is pretty much a worthless award IMO.

I don't know about that, the players generally rate this as the highest domestic individual honour and for all the talk these awards tend to end up with the right player with a handful of exceptions over the years.

99/00 - Keane* & Kewell*
00/01 - Sheringham & Gerrard*
01/02 - Van Nistelrooy* & Bellamy*
02/03 - Henry* & Jenas*
03/04 - Henry* & Parker
04/05 - Terry* & Rooney*
05/06 - Gerrard* & Rooney*
06/07 - Ronaldo* & Ronaldo*
07/08 - Ronaldo* & Fabregas*
08/09 - Giggs & Young*
09/10 - Rooney* & Milner
10/11 - Bale* & Wilshere
11/12 - RVP* & Walker
12/13 - Bale* & Bale*

I've put a * next to the players who in my opinion deserved the award that season.

00/01 POTY I would have gone with Henry, I remember Sheringham being an odd choice at the time. 04/05 could have quite easily gone to Lampard, ditto Suarez in 12/13, but I wouldn't call Terry or Bale undeserving winners. The results in 09/10 & 10/11 were bizarre, Rooney & Bale won POTY but didn't win YPOTY for which they were both nominated. Giggs over Gerrard in 08/09 for POTY & Walker over Aguero in 11/12 for YPOTY also come to mind as pretty glaring errors.

23/28 since the turn of the century, not a bad strike rate.

I don't know about that, the players generally rate this as the highest domestic individual honour and for all the talk these awards tend to end up with the right player with a handful of exceptions over the years.

99/00 - Keane* & Kewell*
00/01 - Sheringham & Gerrard*
01/02 - Van Nistelrooy* & Bellamy*
02/03 - Henry* & Jenas*
03/04 - Henry* & Parker
04/05 - Terry* & Rooney*
05/06 - Gerrard* & Rooney*
06/07 - Ronaldo* & Ronaldo*
07/08 - Ronaldo* & Fabregas*
08/09 - Giggs & Young*
09/10 - Rooney* & Milner
10/11 - Bale* & Wilshere
11/12 - RVP* & Walker
12/13 - Bale* & Bale*

I've put a * next to the players who in my opinion deserved the award that season.

00/01 POTY I would have gone with Henry, I remember Sheringham being an odd choice at the time. 04/05 could have quite easily gone to Lampard, ditto Suarez in 12/13, but I wouldn't call Terry or Bale undeserving winners. The results in 09/10 & 10/11 were bizarre, Rooney & Bale won POTY but didn't win YPOTY for which they were both nominated. Giggs over Gerrard in 08/09 for POTY & Walker over Aguero in 11/12 for YPOTY also come to mind as pretty glaring errors.

23/28 since the turn of the century, not a bad strike rate.

Notice the trend, the ones that are questionable are all British

Exactamundo. It's a popularity contest, thats all.
In that case Suarez has no chance to win it this year despite being easily the best player in England.

The YPOTY is ridiculous though. Sturridge is 24 years old. It should be 21 years old and under.

Also the YPOTY award should only be between Sturridge and Hazard considering they were nominated for the main award. Will be silly if like Sterling wins it despite the other two being nominated for POTY.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back