Preparing to boo Goodes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a strange way to behave and live. Going by your logic of 'these people who like to boo Goodes' - let's tell them all not to stick a fork into an electrical socket.

People don't boo Goodes because they are doing it to stick to the man and disobey the orders of the AFL, they do it because they see it hurts and they like sticking the knife in a bit more just to see what happens. This isn't inherently racist, it's just a c*nt thing to do.

It's why a lot of opposition supporters scream that Selwood is a ducker or post that he ducks into tackles and should be knocked out to teach him a lesson. The behaviour is unpleasant and it's something that a lot of humans do (I hate to admit it, but upon self-reflection this is something I have done too - assumed the worst about a player such as Mitchell, when really, I don't know a thing about him). It's something to reflect on and perhaps try and avoid, because at the end of the day, this is another person who is taking this and it's really not a nice thing to do. You wouldn't do it to his face, so why do it from a crowd?

I actually don't think that first part is bad advice.

And I agree with almost everything you've posted. My point is just that the kind of attitude I quoted is feeding the problem, not helping it.

Contrary to what he says now he will go in to politics after he retirers and run for a seat with the, their will be no carbon tax under a government I lead party.book mark it.He's playing a longer game.
My guess is he'll follow a similar path to Michael Long. He's not the sort of person who would take kindly to the constraints that come with working within either of the major political parties in my view.

Did you want Goodes to accept his Australian of the Year award, smile for the cameras and tell everyone that Australia is the greatest country in the world?

I'll give you a clue: indigenous Australians have shocking life expectancy, are significantly over represented in our prison system and have far poorer education and employment outcomes than people like you and I.

Why shouldn't Goodes use his position of power and influence to talk about issues that, while they may make your typical bogan Anglo-Australian uncomfortable, need to be discussed and acted upon to truly make Australia the inclusive society we like to think it is.

I don't like some of Goodes' on-field actions, but then again I don't like a lot of on-field actions (Mitchell, Puopolo, Shuey, N Riewoldt and our own SJ a lot of time). But off field, I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.
What does Nick Riewoldt to that offends you?:confused:

I never boo sportspeople, although I have been known to abuse a player who just committed a thug act, Jordan Lewis on more than one occasion. I have never seen Adam Goodes do a thug act, he is a legend and I wish he played for us, although I used to get annoyed with the way he milked the umps but that is part of the game.

I like the way Goodes has refused to step backward on issues related to his race and have nothing but the utmost respect for his views and the way he has put them. I think its a shame that people boo him because a) he is Aboriginal and b) refuses to play the game as a token black fella and being expected to take being treated as inferior. Good on Goodes.

What does Nick Riewoldt to that offends you?:confused:

He's toned it down in recent years but when they were challenging for flags a few seasons ago he would go to ground at the slightest bit of contact.

I don't really understand it. If a player puts in a cheap shot on one of our players or similar then I'd happily boo them but this one-size-fits-all booing of Adam Goodes by all and sundry is just totally moronic. If you don't agree with his political views then booing him on a football field achieves what exactly? Just drives the divide wider. And I simply don't buy the 'staging' argument as there are plenty of other players far worse than Goodes who don't receive that treatment.

And it does make me laugh when you get fans getting all upset because he and Jetta give a tiny bit back. The people getting upset are probably the same ones you see leaning over the boundary fence giving it the big I am and screaming abuse at players from the protection of the stands for the duration of the game.

That said I'll happily boo Bundy but then he's taken a filthy crap from a great height on his team-mates, the town and the fans.

Keep as higher profile as possible, get in front of the media,start pushing a platform, Greater Western Sydney electorate here I come.
I realise politics is totally crapola these days, but I think this is tad cynical. Actually, this is the first time I've heard someone suggest that the manic booing of Goodes is being engineered by him so that he can get a nice pay packet out west as a stooge for the Labor Party. Maybe Jetta wants to be his press secretary?

Anyway, this topic has been done to death. Nothing anybody says here is going to stop people from booing if they want to. I reckon Geelong crowds are more fair-minded than most, so I'm reasonably certain Goodes won't cop much stick at KP. Here's hoping anyway.

Did you want Goodes to accept his Australian of the Year award, smile for the cameras and tell everyone that Australia is the greatest country in the world?

I'll give you a clue: indigenous Australians have shocking life expectancy, are significantly over represented in our prison system and have far poorer education and employment outcomes than people like you and I.

Why shouldn't Goodes use his position of power and influence to talk about issues that, while they may make your typical bogan Anglo-Australian uncomfortable, need to be discussed and acted upon to truly make Australia the inclusive society we like to think it is.

I don't like some of Goodes' on-field actions, but then again I don't like a lot of on-field actions (Mitchell, Puopolo, Shuey, N Riewoldt and our own SJ a lot of time). But off field, I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.
stop blaming everyone

aborigines in many cases want to maintain a lifestyle that results in alower life expectancy
i dont know a workplace that discriminates against aborigines

they have special funding etc and have opportunities that are not available to me as i am not indiginous

i would have preferred he didnt accept the award given we are all racists

A sportsman with an eye on Canberra, the guy's an activist stirrer. He'll get along 'ok' you bet! In America they're called 'Uncle Toms'.
People over there are a little more politically savvy they know how the system works, I think we're a pretty naïve bunch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QUOTE="SkittleCats, post: 39863620, member: 55661"]Im not going to get into an argument with you, but if an opposition player gets a free kick, shot on goal, 50m penalty, or kicks out after a behind im gonna boo.[/QUOTE]
lol.
g

I don't think the booing is for Goodes the sniping slider who pointed the finger at a 13 year old girl any more. If it was just for Goodes, he would have been "forgiven" by now and the Greek chorus that is the football crowd would have moved on to some other villain.

I think this "booing Goodes phenomenon" by the great unwashed is really directed at the whole AFL structure that is now seen as a corrupt, self important enterprise that that no longer listens to the public. It's a royal court with hangers-on built on billions of TV dollars and gambling dollars and people are sick of AFL hobnobs bobbing up to lecture on public morality, all the while being the greatest hypocrites themselves.

The AFL media and AFL officials are running about lecturing the football public that they are racist and this is making the booing even louder. The AFL reps come across as preening self-important precious boors whose ears must have been drawn on.

Sydney and Adam Goodes are the epitome of what the AFL wants to shove down our throats, and have done for years.

He should never have been made Australian of the Year while he was still playing. I'm sure the AFL pushed for him. The spear throwing stunt was just silly and inflammatory and he was poorly advised on that. And if he didn't seek an opinion on that before he did it, he was a fool.

If I had Adam's ear, I would say: laugh it off, have a joke with those booing you; tell the world that's life and it's no big deal to be this month's villain, in fact it's a bit of fun. The public desperately want to move on from Goodes and start booing Sam Mitchell. He should set them free. :D

Last edited:
The AFL can't stop the booing, they can ask people "to not do it", but there will always be those who do. I have no doubt he will get booed at Geelong, I personally don't really like Goodes, but I wouldn't go to a game and start booing.

I think it's just something Goodes has to deal with and try and move on from it as there's not much that can be done.

A sportsman with an eye on Canberra, the guy's an activist stirrer. He'll get along 'ok' you bet! In America they're called 'Uncle Toms'.
People over there are a little more politically savvy they know how the system works, I think we're a pretty naïve bunch.

you have no idea about the terms you use.

I was saying Boournes
11711294_10153261746836645_438228529_n.gif

stop blaming everyone

aborigines in many cases want to maintain a lifestyle that results in alower life expectancy
i dont know a workplace that discriminates against aborigines

they have special funding etc and have opportunities that are not available to me as i am not indiginous
And people wonder why this country is in its current state.

I hear Norway is nice this time of year.

you have no idea about the terms you use.
Can't be emphasised enough. Australia is rife with 'opinions', and those that express them don't seem to appreciate that near to complete ignorance of a topic is a good reason to keep your mouth shut. There are opinions and informed opinions; opinions are worth SFA and should be derided. Look at the recent Reclaim Aus nightmare. These people are not basing their decisions on rational thought and solid evidence, it's just an echo chamber of fear and ignorance.

The worst criticism that could be leveled at Australia once upon a time is that it lacked an identifiable culture. That's all fixed now and we have a clearly identifiable culture of intolerance, ignorance and an absence of compassion at a time where such an attitude is inexcusable.

2 weeks away from the Sydney game- are you going to boo Goodes? I feel that football is a man's game and that Goodes is clearly affected by it then opposition fans should continue to boo him. It has nothing to do with race, but more to do with his cry baby attitude an by the affect it has on his game. Lets not feel sorry for this multi-millionaire!! Pathetic !!
And frankly mate, you're a moron.

The worst criticism that could be leveled at Australia once upon a time is that it lacked an identifiable culture. That's all fixed now and we have a clearly identifiable culture of intolerance, ignorance and an absence of compassion at a time where such an attitude is inexcusable.

the heartening thing is the majority in this thread are decrying such behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back