Prime Judd V Cousins V Kerr, who wins?

With the 1st pick in the AFL draft WCE select ' '

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think all 3 of them are some of the most talented footballers we've ever seen with ball control, this is what makes someone like Lecras stand out for me is that first grab, it's the equivalent to a good first touch in soccer, it gives you time, and these three would always be clean.

It's no surprise that when it rained, these 3 stood out even more!

Real talent and skill comes to the fore in the rain. Currently think Selwood, Ablett and Pendles. When every other player is fumbling and effing about in the we these guys are clean.

Kerr also one of the best wet wether players iv'e seen.

I agree with the dude who said Cousins best was around 2001 when he was a tough inside player as well as spreading hard from the contest, he always made those around him better at that point in time. When Judd and Kerr came along he had genuine match winners alongside him. Truly a remarkable trio of mids we had who all played peak purple patch/career best footy simultaneously that made the wce stand out from every other team at the time. Judd slightly over Cousins, Cousins slightly over Kerr, Kerr over every other clubs first choice midfielder, at the time. Incredible period to be a wc fan.

What does that mean?

It means that in my opinion We could rely on Cousins almost every game to be a high contributer. That is in no way taking anything away from Judd but I just think Cousins week win and week out performed at a higher standard.
It doesn't make it right or wrong, it is just how I viewed it.

Not really. Cousins wouldn't get tagged out of games as easily as Judd back then but thats only because he was learning to deal with a tag and it was his first 6 years in the league not his last 6 like Cousins.
How many stinkers did Judd have? You reckon he was "easily tagged out of games"? Pretty sure most teams tried.

This smacks of false nuance. The idea that Judd was somehow erratic or went missing often enough for it to be a black mark against him is fanciful.

Last edited:
We could rely on Cousins almost every game to be a high contributer.
As opposed to Judd?

That is in no way taking anything away from Judd but I just think Cousins week win and week out performed at a higher standard.
Except for the weeks when Judd was better.

It doesn't make it right or wrong, it is just how I viewed it.
Surely you're saying it's right. Otherwise, why would you say it?

I reckon some of you guys are trying to convince yourselves that Cousins was better because it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. You don't want to acknowledge that Judd was the pick of the bunch – you want to downgrade him a little bit because he bailed. To that end, you're inventing these jarringly vague criticisms about Cousins playing "at a higher level" or "being a high contributor almost every game". There's no substance in any of that – you're already wedded to the conclusion that Cousins was No.1 so need to spin a line to get there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As opposed to Judd?

Except for the weeks when Judd was better.

Surely you're saying it's right. Otherwise, why say it?

Mate why are you questioning some ones opinion? Obviously you see Judd as the one and I don't see anyone taking you to task on your opinion. You asked me why I see it that way and I have given you my view. What is your problem?
I explained it is not right or wrong but simply my opinion, there is no right or wrong as it is for opinion only. the thread title calls for peoples opinion does it not?
I believe that Ben Cousins is the greatest player to ever play for the Eagles. That is my view. Why the hell is that a problem?

Mate why are you questioning some ones opinion?
Because I disagree with it.

Obviously you see Judd as the one and I don't see anyone taking you to task on your opinion.
You're welcome to try.

You asked me why I see it that way and I have given you my view. What is your problem?
No problem. I just disagree. What is your problem with that?

I explained it is not right or wrong but simply my opinion, there is no right or wrong as it is for opinion only.
And presumably you think your opinion is right? Or not?

It would be different if you were simply saying you prefer strawberry ice cream to vanilla. That is purely a matter of taste. But to say one player was better than another is a statement that invites discussion and perhaps disagreement.

Because I disagree with it.

You're welcome to try.

No problem. I just disagree. What is your problem with that?

And presumably you think your opinion is right? Or not?

It would be different if you were simply saying you prefer strawberry ice cream to vanilla. That is purely a matter of taste. But to say one player was better than another is a statement that invites discussion and perhaps disagreement.

No it doesn't invite debate because I am not going to convince you and you will not convince me, there is nothing you can provide me that will change my mind so why waste time and energy. I respect your view that you think Judd was the best. Many others think that as well. Many think Cousins was.

It only seems an issue for you as your opinion is not agreed by the 100% you were looking for obviously when you posted. I am sorry that didn't work out for you.

No it doesn't invite debate because I am not going to convince you and you will not convince me, there is nothing you can provide me that will change my mind so why waste time and energy.
Speak for yourself. I could certainly be persuaded by a strong argument. But it's a telling admission from you.

If you're not interested in discussion, why post in the first place? Are you only interested in comments from people who agree with you?

I respect your view that you think Judd was the best. Many others think that as well. Many think Cousins was.
I disagree with those who think Cousins was. Why is that off-limits?

It only seems an issue for you as your opinion is not agreed by the 100% you were looking for obviously when you posted. I am sorry that didn't work out for you.
Don't be sorry, champ. After all, I'm not the one with my knickers in a knot.

I'm quite happy to engage in a back-and-forth about the topic. You, on the other hand, are not. It suggests a lack of confidence.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. I could certainly be persuaded by a strong argument. But it's a telling admission from you.

If you're not interested in discussion, why post in the first place? Are you only interested in comments from people who agree with you?

I disagree with those who think Cousins was. Why is that off-limits?

Don't be sorry, champ. After all, I'm not the one with my knickers in a knot.

I'm quite happy to engage in a back-and-forth about the topic. You, on the other hand, are not. It suggests a lack of confidence.

Haha lack of confidence in what? I don't think Ben Cousins or Chris Judd need their careers to be explained to anyone do they? They are pretty common knowledge by most people who follow footy.
So what are you looking for? Why is it that you want me to tell you that Judd is the best? Because if it helps you sleep at night I can do that for you.
Are you looking for stats on the two? Christ I wouldn't have a clue what their stats are.
As far as I know they both have won numerous B&F, both had numerous AA selection, Both won a brownlow, Judd has won two actually. They are both as highly credentialled as any footballer can be. There is pretty much nothing either of them have not achieved.
You captain one side and Pick Judd first, I will captain the other and be more than happy to have Cousins first.

So again I ask you what are you searching for?

Last edited:
Your ability to articulate a considered opinion.

An intelligent discussion.

See above.

I find it striking that you so indignantly assert your right to an opinion but get sand in your vagina when someone disagrees. You can't have it both ways.

Do you have a mental illness? What the hell is wrong with you? I have not cared one bit that you do not agree with me, I provided an opinion which was mine just as many others in this thread did. It is you that got their knickers in a knot because it did not agree with your opinion. You are the only one having trouble here. I could not care less, I already told you I respect that in your opinion you think Judd was better.
You are not capable of an intelligent discussion as has been shown in the last lot of posts. Talking footy with people like you is like taking to a parent about their child, its an insular view and one that cannot be changed and one the person gets upset with if everyone else does not agree.
The difference here is that no one in this thread has been asking or trying to change your view, we all just provided ours.
Go have a lie down mate. seriously!!!!

Do you have a mental illness? What the hell is wrong with you? I have not cared one bit that you do not agree with me.
Clearly this is not the case.

Invoking mental illness as a cheap insult is in bad taste.

It is you that got their knickers in a knot because it did not agree with your opinion. You are the only one having trouble here. I could not care less.
Again, judging from your shrill, wounded response, this is not the case.

Seriously, if you can't handle disagreement, why post in the first place?

You are not capable of an intelligent discussion as has been shown in the last lot of posts. Talking footy with people like you is like taking to a parent about their child, its an insular view and one that cannot be changed and one the person gets upset with if everyone else does not agree.
OK, let's look at your arguments in favour of Cousins.

You say: "I think consistantly (sic) Cousins Performed to a higher level" and "we could rely on Cousins almost every game to be a high contributer (sic)".

Does it not strike you that these are nothing arguments? You could substitute Judd's name in there and it would be equally valid.

I also like the textbook projection at the end. You accuse me of having an "insular view", but you've already told us that nothing anyone could say would change your mind. Isn't that pretty insular?

Last edited:
Clearly this is not the case.

Invoking mental illness as a cheap insult is in bad taste.

Again, judging from your shrill, wounded response, this is not the case.

Seriously, if you can't handle disagreement, why post in the first place?

You tell me one post where I have tried to change your mind? Told you that you were wrong in your opinion?
You have consistently opposed my opinion that it is wrong.

Move on Ian, for the most part you generally post pretty well about footy. For some reason today you have a bee in your bonnet over nothing.
All the best!!!

Back