Priority Pick And Other Assistance

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have an opinion either way on whether BL should be granted one. As others have said though time and effort would be better spent on upgrading infrastructure rather than a getting a PP.

I think however some of that can then be put back on the state government some what.

Living in Geelong i've seen first hand the money the state governments have poured into upgrading Skilled Stadium etc The QLD Government should be targetted (if they haven't already) to follow suit for the BL.

Back to the PP discussion. I do of course see opposition to it with other parties pointing to the fact that while you have lost young players heading south, you have also been able to recruit some decent players up the other way last season in Beams, Christensen and Robinson.

Any opposition to a PP will be able to use this against you. They will agrue that the players you gained are better than those you lost. Being able to show instances of where you can lure top talent up to Brisbane will count against the arguement for a PP if it comes down to a decision to grant one.

Geelong gets pork-barrelled something chronic by both sides of government in Vic. Funding AFL teams isn't really a vote buyer up here when it isn't serving some other purpose.

The QLD Government should be targeted (if they haven't already) to follow suit for the BL

Just on this. It is something that VIC supporters just do not understand. Governments usually only provide funding for projects that will provide them with a return in the form of votes. AFL in QLD is maybe 4th or 5th sporting code in the pecking order. It is why many of us state that the AFL themselves need to help with funding for these projects as government assistance will rarely be forthcoming.

Geelong gets pork-barrelled something chronic by both sides of government in Vic. Funding AFL teams isn't really a vote buyer up here when it isn't serving some other purpose.

It doesn't really.

It's only the football club/ground getting money thrown at it. Nothing else does on that scale. It's why the town is stuffed. The way you sell it to the QLD government is if you incorporate other coumminty benefits into any facility. That's how they justified pouring so much into Skilled Stadium.

Just on this. It is something that VIC supporters just do not understand. Governments usually only provide funding for projects that will provide them with a return in the form of votes. AFL in QLD is maybe 4th or 5th sporting code in the pecking order. It is why many of us state that the AFL themselves need to help with funding for these projects as government assistance will rarely be forthcoming.

Except it doesn't work that way in Geelong either. Skilled Stadium has been part of a safe Labor seat for 20+ years now.

Spending $ on it doesn't really affect any political landscape.

You want to get Goverment funding? Draw up some proposal to share the facilities with a female sporting entity and watch the funding role in.

The way you sell it to the QLD government is if you incorporate other coumminty benefits into any facility. That's how they justified pouring so much into Skilled Stadium.
Expect an announcement soon.

It'll never happen. We'll ask, be told "nyet" and watch on as at least 5 of our best 25 walk out the door this trade period.

The AFL just hates the Lions. Didn't give a s**t about Fitzroy, don't give a s**t about us. So long as we keep "being fans", they will keep laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm seriously considering taking my grievances (well aired as I'm sure some of you know) to a public platform. I'd like the club to go on strike in retaliation for what I see as little more than corporatised pimping and prostitution in the name of broadcast dollars.

Except it doesn't work that way in Geelong either. Skilled Stadium has been part of a safe Labor seat for 20+ years now.

Spending $ on it doesn't really affect any political landscape.

You want to get Goverment funding? Draw up some proposal to share the facilities with a female sporting entity and watch the funding role in.

Kardinia Park is about 400m from the border with Corangamite, one of the most important federal swing seats.

As you say, though, Geelong is pretty safe for the ALP at State level.

Did I miss something. The geelong region has a number of state seats that are always in play in state elections. Labor will always remember geelong as the state seat that delivered bracks victory over Kennett.

Funding into skilled stadium is an ongoing down payment into those seats. Just like state government moving tac there, and federal and state agreeing to set up ndis in Geelong.

Just referring back to the gh5 comments on previous page,.. I think people, really underestimate longer.

This year he would have been more valuable to us then leuenberger due to his physicality and ability to take at least 1 contested mark per game. He has quietly had a good season as first ruck at st Kilda a team with 3 times more wins than us and beaten out hickey for that role who the saints paid a higher price for the season before getting longer.

Too be fair Aish & Polec are completely different characters.. coming from SA is the only similarities
I remember the whispers when we picked up Polec and there seemed the same ones after Aish.. Nothing to do with SA just seemed a few people where they would be home in 2 years.. I am not saying its easy for a young man to move so far away from his family, although I often thought we should pick someone local even if they would of gone 10 spots lower. SA and WA clubs do this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just referring back to the gh5 comments on previous page,.. I think people, really underestimate longer.

This year he would have been more valuable to us then leuenberger due to his physicality and ability to take at least 1 contested mark per game. He has quietly had a good season as first ruck at st Kilda a team with 3 times more wins than us and beaten out hickey for that role who the saints paid a higher price for the season before getting longer.

Not bad for someone averaging just over 0.5 contested marks per game, within two points of Leuenberger's rate. :D

I remember the whispers when we picked up Polec and there seemed the same ones after Aish.. Nothing to do with SA just seemed a few people where they would be home in 2 years.. I am not saying its easy for a young man to move so far away from his family, although I often thought we should pick someone local even if they would of gone 10 spots lower. SA and WA clubs do this.

obviously talent was too great to pass up. Cripps would have been nice (pick 13 - blues). Hindsight I guess. I though Aish had the maturity to be independent away from his family and forge his own legacy, where Polec was always a party boy drunk. Oh well

I thought about it and actually couldn't even remember his name. He really has faded into obscurity.

*grins* I had the exact same thing - I knew he only mentioned four and was trying to remember who the fifth one was and couldn't do it!

Gezs we need more than a priority pick we are in 13 mil of debt, players walking out the door and have poor facilities. I may be mistaken but we also haven't resigned with the gabba?

Leppitsch's plea for priority draft pick

BRISBANE Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has thrown the club's on-field prospects into the hands of the footy community, pleading for a priority draft pick.

Leppitsch told a press conference on Thursday a priority pick for the Lions would show the intent of the wider football world to see his club improve quickly.

The Lions have won just two games this season and are battling with neighbouring Gold Coast for the wooden spoon.

They have made just one finals appearance since 2004.

The Lions are expected to ask for a priority pick at season's end, and Leppitsch laid the case out.

"It depends how quickly the AFL community want us to get better," he said.

"They've taken away the academy advantages we've had, so obviously there's no real thought they want this club to get better quicker.

"We've had a huge amount of list changes and challenges.

"One draft pick is fantastic, two is even better isn't it?"

The Lions believe they don't have enough elite talent at the moment, with just four first-round picks on their list – James Aish, Sam Mayes, Daniel Rich and Matthew Leuenberger.

The academy concessions for the four northern states clubs have also been tightened, ensuring they pay a higher price for locally produced talent.

Leppitsch said results in the final six weeks could play a big part in receiving a priority pick.

"The better the quality of person you have in your organisation, the quicker you'll get better, that's just the facts," he said.

"That's something for the law makers to decide whether we deserve one or not.

"If we win the last six games they'll definitely say no, won't they? If we lose the last six they'll probably say yes, who knows. That's out of our hands."

The first of those six games comes on Saturday against Geelong at Simonds Stadium, where Leppitsch expects both Pearce Hanley and Dayne Beams to play.

Hanley (hamstring) and Beams (shoulder) were late withdrawals from last week's loss against North Melbourne.

Last edited:
Genuine question - does this statement not extend past the players and also towards the coaching and administration staff?

"The better the quality of person you have in your organisation, the quicker you'll get better, that's just the facts," he said.

I don't want to be critical here of the previous drafting and loss of draft picks, but surely the club had some control over player retention and the direction and quality of players. I understand that losing guys like Polec, Docherty and Yeo seriously hurts the development of a club though but does a priority pick help if players drafted can't be retained.

Be very interested to see the outcome of this?

Genuine question - does this statement not extend past the players and also towards the coaching and administration staff?

I don't want to be critical here of the previous drafting and loss of draft picks, but surely the club had some control over player retention and the direction and quality of players. I understand that losing guys like Polec, Docherty and Yeo seriously hurts the development of a club though but does a priority pick help if players drafted can't be retained.

Actually I kind of think that if they are aiming at an end of 1st round pick (as opposed to early 1st round pick) that they would be planning on using it on academy kids who are locals and more likely to stay

Going around in circles here. Maybe try reading the thread here or on main board first.

There is plenty of culpability from the club. Some probs have been fixed. More continue to be fixed. It is worth noting that getting quality staff to Brissy is just as challenging as attracting players. That's partly why the club is desperate to get the likes of Lambert back.

As for your last question, this year presents a unique set of circumstances where there are a couple of top ten kids who are actually happy to come to the Lions, and also a couple of quality academy kids. So yes, a priority pick this year will help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back