Priority Pick And Other Assistance

Remove this Banner Ad

Either result it was going to be embarrassing being linked to wanting a priority pick for being a rubbish footy club.

Either result it was going to be embarrassing being linked to wanting a priority pick for being a rubbish footy club.

Eh, we are a rubbish football club looking at the last decade.

Let's see what happens now.

Last year the AFL published some quite detailed reasons for why they denied Melbourne's request, which included the compo for Frawley they were about to get. When Frawley subsequently joined the Hawks, possibly on less money than he was offered elsewhere, the AFL might have felt a little boxed in.

So it'll be interesting to see if they release detailed reasons again. After last year they might decide it's better not to.

What we can conclude is that the Carlton application achieved its objective.

I don't think it made a scrap of difference to be honest.

I think their failed attempt to pawn off Kreuzer for pick 2 was more influential. Gave the AFL a massive out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it? I heard more discussion from the Victorian media about the need for off-field help for Brisbane in the period since we put in our priority pick request that I have heard in total in the previous 5 years combined.

I suspect we wanted the debate as much, if not more than we wanted the actual pick.

I said so as much at the time too... http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...other-assistance.1104805/page-7#post-39803768

Discussed once again last night in On the Couch when David King introduced the topic of kids wanting to cut loose after their initial traineeship after clubs had invested time and money in their development.

Interestingly, not only did JB agree that the initial draft term should be at least 3 or even better 4 years, given the obvious effect on the Lions, but so did the other 2 panelists.

Maybe something will be done.

Apparently they put their application in months before we did.
I wasn't aware of that but it just makes it more reactive given we would have looked very likely at that stage to finish below them.

I wasn't aware of that but it just makes it more reactive given we would have looked very likely at that stage to finish below them.
Yeah from memory I heard that on SEN when they were interviewing someone.... Can't remember who. Either way it was suggested that they put the application in mid season well before we did

From the article
"The Lions had requested an extra draft selection due to their retention issues and the lack of early picks remaining on the list, while the Blues sought a pick to fast-track their rebuild."

Seriously Carlton if your gonna make an excuse make it a good one!

Am I wrong in thinking the longer the initial contract the longer that players would have to be on a fixed wage though? I'm having trouble visualising a four year rookie contract at all. Three years might be doable but I doubt that changes anything from now, I mean Karnezis and Polec were here three years. It could be argued that players would be missing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars in their early career with a lack of ability to negotiate their value earlier. It might be made up later in their career because of the way the salary cap would spread considering 22 year olds would still be on a rookie contract so in their middle years they may earn more.

You couldn't make it just for first round picks either because a slider or draft smokey could potentially have more earning power earlier for similar levels of performance to a first round pick that won't necessarily be made up later in their career. I see the only way for the addition of free agency to be uncluster*ed is the American system where players' rights can be traded without their consent until they reach the free agency age.

Am I wrong in thinking the longer the initial contract the longer that players would have to be on a fixed wage though? I'm having trouble visualising a four year rookie contract at all. Three years might be doable but I doubt that changes anything from now, I mean Karnezis and Polec were here three years. It could be argued that players would be missing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars in their early career with a lack of ability to negotiate their value earlier. It might be made up later in their career because of the way the salary cap would spread considering 22 year olds would still be on a rookie contract so in their middle years they may earn more.

You couldn't make it just for first round picks either because a slider or draft smokey could potentially have more earning power earlier for similar levels of performance to a first round pick that won't necessarily be made up later in their career. I see the only way for the addition of free agency to be uncluster****ed is the American system where players' rights can be traded without their consent until they reach the free agency age.

Maybe require all draftees to have 3 year contracts at fixed wage but the dollars and terms for any remaining years on the initial contract can be renegotiated with an early extension? ie. Kid's gunning it after one year, club moves to extend his 3 years to 4, Kid agrees and ends up playing four years with 2 or 3 of those years paid at a higher rate. Still gives young draftees the ability to get value for their early years, rewards loyalty and gives clubs more protection than presently offered.

Just give a team option after 2 years to match any offer they receive elsewhere. If you don't match, you can trade. If you do match, they stay.

But this is the issue. If we don't let them go they mope about in the 2's anyway whilst home town/better clubs remain in their ears.

But this is the issue. If we don't let them go they mope about in the 2's anyway whilst home town/better clubs remain in their ears.

Then it's in the interest of their destination club to pay fair value then.

All the priority picks in the world will not help what is one of the main problems we have and that is the NEAFL comp is so poor for development.

The fact is a players average career is only 3 - 4 years long and not many of them would walk into another job that earns them upwards of 200K a year as a 21 year old. The development program is vital to retention and the NEAFL is an albatross around our necks.

I was fortunate to interview Brett Munro, the opposition analysis coach for the Suns and also a member of the game analysis committee for the AFL at an event at the club last week. I spoke to him about the problems we faced in QLd with retention and he pointed specifically to the NEAFL as to how it works against development.

The Suns used 80 players this year in the NEAFL. 25 played less than 3 games. The rule is that the team is made up of top up players and the suns list and with their injury list (and ours) they often had only 6 -8 AFL listed players in the side. The rest are the top ups who DONT make the senior sides of their own club local team. In effect they are not very good players.

So as an example he spoke of Peter Wrights development as a forward ruck. He works hard on certain leading patterns finds space and a pass gets kicked way over his head. He goes again and again and can't get near it cause they can't kick with any real precision. It's not their fault but they are the players that get in the NEAFL team. The damage is done when the development is hindered due to not getting reward for effort which leads to going searching for the ball rather than sticking to the game plan. Then the following week it's a completely new bunch of players butchering it a different way.

So frustration sets in with players that are not mature enough to not stress about this. High draft picks feel their career being limited especially in the social media days of going home and seeing their mates playing in the VFL Sanfl and wafl, much stronger competitions in sides completely run by their club.

I would much prefer The AFL finding a way to fund a team in the VFL or SANFL than giving us another high pick in which to watch become frustrated by playing in the NEAFL.

All the priority picks in the world will not help what is one of the main problems we have and that is the NEAFL comp is so poor for development.

The fact is a players average career is only 3 - 4 years long and not many of them would walk into another job that earns them upwards of 200K a year as a 21 year old. The development program is vital to retention and the NEAFL is an albatross around our necks.

I was fortunate to interview Brett Munro, the opposition analysis coach for the Suns and also a member of the game analysis committee for the AFL at an event at the club last week. I spoke to him about the problems we faced in QLd with retention and he pointed specifically to the NEAFL as to how it works against development.

The Suns used 80 players this year in the NEAFL. 25 played less than 3 games. The rule is that the team is made up of top up players and the suns list and with their injury list (and ours) they often had only 6 -8 AFL listed players in the side. The rest are the top ups who DONT make the senior sides of their own club local team. In effect they are not very good players.

So as an example he spoke of Peter Wrights development as a forward ruck. He works hard on certain leading patterns finds space and a pass gets kicked way over his head. He goes again and again and can't get near it cause they can't kick with any real precision. It's not their fault but they are the players that get in the NEAFL team. The damage is done when the development is hindered due to not getting reward for effort which leads to going searching for the ball rather than sticking to the game plan. Then the following week it's a completely new bunch of players butchering it a different way.

So frustration sets in with players that are not mature enough to not stress about this. High draft picks feel their career being limited especially in the social media days of going home and seeing their mates playing in the VFL Sanfl and wafl, much stronger competitions in sides completely run by their club.

I would much prefer The AFL finding a way to fund a team in the VFL or SANFL than giving us another high pick in which to watch become frustrated by playing in the NEAFL.
I think your post is insightful and hits the nail on the head! We must start lobbying now for our reserves team to be included in the VFL! Maybe our under 19 Academy team could play in the NEAFL to ensure the comp is a development structure.

Have also had discussions over a brew or two along those lines. Simplistically, I suggest, think of a commercial airline pilot and flight simulation machines…

Hurry up future and the application of this sort of information/training technology into the AFL - the stats, figures, running patterns are all there thanks to player GPS monitoring - just need to convert this into some sort of visual 3D package.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back