Problem. No club greats in current team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagle87

What are your thought on my OP.

Is is a problem that we have no current players with real shots at our all time team. We have no top line talent.

Agreed. We need some Ellie Talent to emerge particularly through the middle. We obviously hope NN steps up more consistently to that level and certainly we have some Talent forward and back but or midfield couldn't get a player in the top 22 whereas our premiership sides each have what 3-5 quality mids in there.

It's a problem and been one since the end of 2007 really...

Our midfield is fairly woeful.
But when you try to pin point the reasons for this, people here get up in arms telling you that the players mentioned are actually superstars.

Rosa, Selwood, Masten: three senior midfielders who are far below the level we require for our midfield to not be woeful. Yet you put a question mark over Rosa's name in here and everyone will tell you he was our best player from Round x to z. Ditto Selwood - apparently best player in the competition at the start of 2012.

People point the finger at Priddis and ask why Shuey hasn't become elite yet...but we have a shitload more mediocre players that people will defend.

Hurn, Darling, Lecca, Easy and Nic are all big chances
Gardiner has nic NAC covered ATM.
Nic needs to be more consistent and get more of the football and play a lot longer to edge him out.
He may at the end of his career but right now no IMO.

But when you try to pin point the reasons for this, people here get up in arms telling you that the players mentioned are actually superstars.

Rosa, Selwood, Masten: three senior midfielders who are far below the level we require for our midfield to not be woeful. Yet you put a question mark over Rosa's name in here and everyone will tell you he was our best player from Round x to z. Ditto Selwood - apparently best player in the competition at the start of 2012.

People point the finger at Priddis and ask why Shuey hasn't become elite yet...but we have a shitload more mediocre players that people will defend.
This is so true.
When the trade period was on if you mentioned trading anyone except Mastin you almost got lynched. (No pun intended).
But our midfield is the worst in history of our side but they are all untradable but they are the worst....

I understand the point of the thread but the argument is getting a bit skewed. Our club has been blessed with the initial talent chosen in 1986 leading to the early flags and the 05, 06 teams. Basically all our club greats have played premierships but you cant tell me players like Matthew Richardson, Stewart Lowe, Mathew Boyd, Robert Harvey, Garry Lyon and a hundred others wouldn't be classed as `Greats` at their clubs. Theyre all non-premiership players but greats non the less.
As for the best ever 22 team, I would regard Michael Brennan as a club Great but Glassy the nod at FB. Lewis, Brett Heady and Lecras all club Greats, Kerr might not get a gig in the midfield but time will show he`s a club Great. Mainwaring (RIP), Evans, Lewis, White and plenty of others may be replaced in the best 22 but that doesn't make their value to this club any less....
Mainwaring is undoubtedly a legend of this club but Id hate to read the vitriol on this site about his skills if he was playing today. (Priddis?- leave the arguments)
What then makes club "Greats"? Premierships is usually the exclamation mark but B&Fs, All Aus, Colemans, Captains, 150+ games etc all mixed into a playing career...
To say current day senior players Kennedy, Hurn, Waters, Lecras, McKenzie wont be known as club Greats or that under 25s Darling, Shuey, Gaff, Nic Nat or even Sheed wont produce outstanding footy in the future to achieve such status is short sighted IMHO.
Through my Eagle one eye, I believe some in our squad will achieve Greatness and I will enjoy the ride.....

I understand the point of the thread but the argument is getting a bit skewed. Our club has been blessed with the initial talent chosen in 1986 leading to the early flags and the 05, 06 teams. Basically all our club greats have played premierships but you cant tell me players like Matthew Richardson, Stewart Lowe, Mathew Boyd, Robert Harvey, Garry Lyon and a hundred others wouldn't be classed as `Greats` at their clubs. Theyre all non-premiership players but greats non the less.
As for the best ever 22 team, I would regard Michael Brennan as a club Great but Glassy the nod at FB. Lewis, Brett Heady and Lecras all club Greats, Kerr might not get a gig in the midfield but time will show he`s a club Great. Mainwaring (RIP), Evans, Lewis, White and plenty of others may be replaced in the best 22 but that doesn't make their value to this club any less....
Mainwaring is undoubtedly a legend of this club but Id hate to read the vitriol on this site about his skills if he was playing today. (Priddis?- leave the arguments)
What then makes club "Greats"? Premierships is usually the exclamation mark but B&Fs, All Aus, Colemans, Captains, 150+ games etc all mixed into a playing career...
To say current day senior players Kennedy, Hurn, Waters, Lecras, McKenzie wont be known as club Greats or that under 25s Darling, Shuey, Gaff, Nic Nat or even Sheed wont produce outstanding footy in the future to achieve such status is short sighted IMHO.
Through my Eagle one eye, I believe some in our squad will achieve Greatness and I will enjoy the ride.....

I understand the point of the thread but the argument is getting a bit skewed. Our club has been blessed with the initial talent chosen in 1986 leading to the early flags

Actually not many of the initial squad were around for the 1992/94 flags. Woosh, Brennan, Mainy, Lewis, plus Lamb and Hart played in one flag each. That's it (unless I've missed someone)

"Swift, who played 34 games for the Eagles over four seasons, has just completed his bachelor of commerce at the University of Western Australia."

Um, what? I thought he was going to study medicine?

This.

Didn't he get 99.5+ or something for his TER/ATAR/whatever the * it is called these days? Should be able to do a commerce degree in his spare time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In saying that, I get the jist of your post but it's pretty horrible

Wire panda hardky played until he was 20/21. People were calling for Glass to be delisted up until he was about 24. Cox couldn't couldn't make the team when he was Lycetts age.

Wirrpanda played every game the year he turned 20. Struggled with injury before then having started so young.

Glass turned 24 in 2005. Doubt there were too many calls for his head that year.

Cox played 55 games in his first 3 years, Lycett 22 in 4 at the same age. Cox took over the #1 ruck role in his 4th season and was AA in his 5th.

I'm not writing our current players off, but very few of them look like Team 30 material at this stage. We've got a few Chad Fletchers and Michael Brauns and David Harts but no Peter Materas or Chris Judds - hence we are mid table.

Wirrpanda played every game the year he turned 20. Struggled with injury before then having started so young.

Glass turned 24 in 2005. Doubt there were too many calls for his head that year.

Cox played 55 games in his first 3 years, Lycett 22 in 4 at the same age. Cox took over the #1 ruck role in his 4th season and was AA in his 5th.

I'm not writing our current players off, but very few of them look like Team 30 material at this stage. We've got a few Chad Fletchers and Michael Brauns and David Harts but no Peter Materas or Chris Judds - hence we are mid table.
Next year we might get a Peter Matera (well his son) plus a Sumich maybe

Like it or not, Matt Priddis has cemented himself as a great of the club. He will be remembered for the rest of the clubs history as a brownlow medalist. His name will carry on far further than his bad reputation.

Pretty convenient this thread has been started after the retirement of Glass and Cox.

On that basis, it wasn't a problem this year.

So what does that mean? We were still crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back