General Bombers Talk Proposed North Melbourne move

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get why this always turns into a dick waving contest over whether or not a rivalry exists.
Because it's BigFooty.

I agree though, it really should be possible to discuss these events without it becoming a dick measuring contest. I urge people to leave that and Bay like posting out of it.

It happened, it was a bit of a ugly situation, I was -71 years old and can't quite recall it.

Anyone feeling a genuine amount of bad blood over this needs to take a deep breath. :)

I actually quite liked North in the 80s. They had some exciting players like the Krakouer brothers. However I came to hate them in the 90s, not because of any perceived rivalry. But because I hated Carey. Not because he was just so damn good, but because he just seemed like an absolute campaigner, which his off-field behaviour later confirmed. Blokes like David King and Peter Bell also gave me the shits. After their retirement my hatred mellowed. Until I discovered Big Footy. Big Footy North fans are just the worst of the worst. Except for a small minority they are w***ers to a tee. Read their board. The more reasonable posters get shot down for not being hate-filled and bitter. I compare them to the Nazis. Blind hate and obedience is demanded.Their 'Sympathy for Essendon' thread is a microcosm of North supporters on this forum. The fact that they get more excited and happy about our situation than their own club is just sad. I don't see them as rivals. Read the 'Top three most hated clubs' on the Lists board. Just about every North supporter has us as number one. Hardly any Essendon supporter has them in the top three. Our true rivals are Carlton and Hawthorn.

Seriously, though, what relevance does all of that have to this history based topic?

Yes, we know North supporters on here don't like Essendon. We know all about the sympathy thread. And I know every time we start talking about all that, my eyes end up bleeding because we've just done it to death.

So. Many. Times.

This thread was started on here, as opposed to the main forum, because being placed here might be a hint to keep discussion slanted in a certain direction. I think, with the emotion removed somewhat, exploring what happened in 1921 and what influenced the feelings in old times between the clubs (note: far more important than a couple threads on a freaking internet forum) is actually a very interesting exercise.

But the discussion keeps trending towards the today, in the context of the BF rivalry. For the last time, can we please just stay away from that?

The excerpts provided in here by 222EB are particularly interesting. Are they the full picture, though? It's this sort of stuff that should be explored in a thread on a history sub-board.

It happened, it was a bit of a ugly situation, I was -71 years old and can't quite recall it.

Anyone feeling a genuine amount of bad blood over this needs to take a deep breath. :)

Especially when it has a bit of a Shelbyville Turnip Juice VS Springfield Lemonade feel about it.

I get the feeling people are going to read into the situation more than reading out of it depending on which side of the fence they sit.

Would love to hear from some people that were around closer to the time and were invested in the situation.

Seriously, though, what relevance does all of that have to this history based topic?

Yes, we know North supporters on here don't like Essendon. We know all about the sympathy thread. And I know every time we start talking about all that, my eyes end up bleeding because we've just done it to death.

So. Many. Times.

This thread was started on here, as opposed to the main forum, because being placed here might be a hint to keep discussion slanted in a certain direction. I think, with the emotion removed somewhat, exploring what happened in 1921 and what influenced the feelings in old times between the clubs (note: far more important than a couple threads on a freaking internet forum) is actually a very interesting exercise.

But the discussion keeps trending towards the today, in the context of the BF rivalry. For the last time, can we please just stay away from that?

The excerpts provided in here by 222EB are particularly interesting. Are they the full picture, though? It's this sort of stuff that should be explored in a thread on a history sub-board.

Can we start a "Sympathy for North because they are pathetically obsessed with us" thread on our main board where we can discuss it all then?

Actually, there is no need, North aren't even on my radar except for the game or two a year when we play them.

Can we start a "Sympathy for North because they are pathetically obsessed with us" thread on our main board where we can discuss it all then?

Actually, there is no need, North aren't even on my radar except for the game or two a year when we play them.

Yeah nah.....

There actually was a Sympathy for North thread on this board (I think), for a very brief moment. ;)

I welcome bad blood, and I imagine north supporters would as well, HOWEVER, it's not because we gained some of their players 90 odd years ago, it's because we were two great teams in the mid 90's-early 2000's (when I started watching footy) with fantastic players who tried to dismember each other whenever they played.

There's your rivalry

In 1896 a breakaway group saw the establishment of the Victorian Football League (VFL) from which North Melbourne was excluded mainly through the opposition of the Collingwood Football Club which had not forgiven North for a controversial game in which they had met.
North were upset by there non inclusion as they felt that they were as good as, if not better, than any team that formed the League.

North continued in the VFA becoming Premiers in 1903 and 1904. 1907 saw North attempt, for the first time, to enter the Victorian Football League.
It proposed to amalgamate with the West Melbourne Football Club (1906 premiers) and seek membership of the League. The application was rejected with the result that the club was expelled from the Association (VFA) and found themselves without a competition in which to play.
In 1908 a “new” club was formed and its application to join the VFA was accepted. North Melbourne Football Club was once again part of the VFA.

1921 saw North once again seek admission to the VFL. They felt their record of dominance entitled them to admission into what was becoming the strongest competion in the land.
Essendon Football Club, a foundation member of the League found themselves without an arena on which to play. North, an adjacent suburb to Essendon, offered them their ground, Arden St., if they would amalgamate thereby gaining a team based at North Melbourne into the League.

Essendon agreed. North advised their players that they would disband and asked their players to transfer to Essendon so that in their next season they could continue their association with the team based at Arden St.
Unfortunately Essendon gained the use of a ground at the time being used by an Essendon team playing in the Association. This left North a disbanded club without players. The most highly regarded being Syd Barker who later captained Essendon and was a member of two premiership teams with that club.
In a clever move North quickly amalgamated with the displaced Essendon Association team and was once again competing in the VFA the following season having failed to complete the 1921 season.

In 1925 North finally gained admittance to the Victorian Football League, not by stealth as they had tried previously, but by invitation brought about by lobbying of the clubs supporters.
After a promising start in the League North had many lean years, not reaching a Grand Final until 1950, where they were beaten by their former proposed amalgamation partner Essendon.
It was not until 1975 that they finally won their first League Premiership, the culmination of a plan hatched under the presidency of Allen Aylett 4 years before. They followed this up in 1977 with another Premiership. Between the years 1974 and 1978 North participated in every Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Along the way north have "merged" with west melbourne and essendon association (the dreadnoughts!), never to be heard of again. And the merger with the 'roys was held up over a fight on burying the fitzroy identity, finally not going through because the kangaroos' greg miller got too greedy.

Glad it never happened to our club.

Along the way north have "merged" with west melbourne and essendon association (the dreadnoughts!), never to be heard of again. And the merger with the 'roys was held up over a fight on burying the fitzroy identity, finally not going through because the kangaroos' greg miller got too greedy.

Glad it never happened to our club.

Unethical club that willingly used it's self serving constitution with deadly effect to achieve it's aims.
It beggers belief that the club & it's fans happily hide behind the "poor good guys" underdog tag.

The Long Walk, partnership with the APC, Dreamtime at the 'G, gloBall, Bright Futures, EDFL partnership......

So a former Essendon player, now media commentator wrote an article about North before a game....... wow.

James Hird hates Hawthorn above all others, Paddy Ryder claimed he wanted to beat Collingwood more than any other.....

Here's an article talking of the rivalry between Carlton and Essendon:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...eeped-in-history/story-fni5f5nx-1226658947062

Nice one about Hawthorn and Essendon:

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2013-07-25/the-rivalry-hawthorn-and-Essendon

I don't know how else to say it, and I certainly know that Doss won't be overly pleased; but after exposure to BigFooty, North Melbourne almost literally sickens me.

Where I hate Carlton with an almost murderous rage, respect and fear Hawthorn, and embrace Collingwood as fellow league leaders, I feel a kind of disgust towards North. They are in my opinion, leeches that rely heavily on the rest of the league to exist.

I can't be bothered digging up the quote, but recently, the owner of the Patriots was questioned on how he feels about equalisation in the NFL. His response (paraphrased of course) was that they needed to play somebody every week.

This is North Melbourne. You exist because we can't play Carlton, Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood every week. You are interchangeable, replaceable and weak. Like all clubs, you will go up and down the ladder, might even win a flag every so often, but there is no SUBSTANCE to you. Nothing 'real'. Your existence is owed solely to the idea that the true clubs, the ones that really matter, need to have an opponent on Saturday.

You don't have the uniqueness of Geelong, or the utter tribalism of Richmond. You don't even have the storied history of an utterly pathetic Melbourne Football Club.

You are, in every sense, very much team X. A head office sponsored collection of men in a jumper. The only thing you have going for you is that you've existed longer than most people's lifetime. That's it. You are here because you always have been, and nostalgia prevents any truly significant push to have you replaced.

You might think this is because you are small. It's not. Port are small, and yet I respect that club and what it stands for.

More of Fitzroy currently exists, more substance and meaning than has ever existed at North Melbourne.

You are effectively worthless. If you are tore Melbourne out of the league and replaced them, there would be a hole, something missing. We could replace North for the 2015 season and barely a ripple would be felt in the grand scheme of the game.

Holy Moley Jade!! Ouch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back