Strategy Proposed positional changes for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Broomhead while I like him forward I'd also be look to become a rotational midfielder who splits his time between the front half and midfield.

Will Broomhead have the tank?

Will Broomhead have the tank?

He does it at VFL level so no reason with a full preseason he can't at least rotationally play through the midfield.

I'd be Beams style easing him into it and when completely ready - physically and aerobically that's when I'd be looking down the track to make Broomhead a permanent midfielder.

I look at Broomhead and think he may struggle to gain enough mass to make an impact through the guts. Seems like the type he doesn't gain weight easily.

The inside game is definitely there at u/18, VFL and Sanfl levels, but will he be strong enough at AFL level?

He'll only be rotating though there and not be a permanent midfielder

I look at Broomhead and think he may struggle to gain enough mass to make an impact through the guts. Seems like the type he doesn't gain weight easily.

The inside game is definitely there at u/18, VFL and Sanfl levels, but will he be strong enough at AFL level?

Broomhead is quick but he has always had the strength and contested ball winning ability despite his light build. He isn't going to be a dominant contested ball winner and he isn't built like a truck but he is already a good contested ball winner and one who can continue to improve. I find through the midfield we lack in skills so the benefit of having him around the ball while capable doing the hard stuff, he will actually hit targets around the ground and some damaging targets while also being able to use his run which will be good. Same will be the case with Freeman when we finally get the chance to play him with his good ability to win the contested ball but then his acceleration and ability to hit his targets.

Sidey to play the pivot and swan back to the midfield where he can use his legs to burn his opponents. Would even be happy if he pinched hit in the centre clearances but lined up on a wing or HFF but was used as an extra mid.
Cloke back to CHF.
Fas to look at a wing/high HFF pushing to the goal line.

I'd be rotating Broomhead and Sidebottom through the half forward flank and midfield.
They would still be able to run between the arcs to provide an outlet from the backline.
Sidebottom is a very under rated goal sneak.
He knows how to get front and centre and crumb the loose ball.
He is also extremely capable of kick a goal or two every week.

Yeah I remember Matty Ryan, nice little player BUT Broomy aint no Matty Ryan. Broomy is a jet and if we're lucky enough to keep him for a few years we're gonna enjoy some magic from the young man.

My thoughts exactly.....anyone remember Matt Ryan ?
Yeah I remember Matty Ryan, nice little player BUT Broomy aint no Matty Ryan. Broomy is a jet and if we're lucky enough to keep him for a few years we're gonna enjoy some magic from the young man.
Agreed, Mat was tiny - he even wore a helmet at one stage.
Broomy will be fine.

and Matty played like a small man too....he sometimes looked a bit "trapped in the headlights"
But Broomy looks classy. He puts himself in the right spots and then has the skill and the courage to extricate himself from them all the time controlling the ball. Broomy plays more like Gavin Brown (a young Rowdy) than he does like Matty Ryan.

and Matty played like a small man too....he sometimes looked a bit "trapped in the headlights"
But Broomy looks classy. He puts himself in the right spots and then has the skill and the courage to extricate himself from them all the time controlling the ball. Broomy plays more like Gavin Brown (a young Rowdy) than he does like Matty Ryan.

Well I hope you guys are right...but pound for pound nobody on our current list plays plays like Gavin Brown, young or old.. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be rotating Broomhead and Sidebottom through the half forward flank and midfield.
They would still be able to run between the arcs to provide an outlet from the backline.
Sidebottom is a very under rated goal sneak.
He knows how to get front and centre and crumb the loose ball.
He is also extremely capable of kick a goal or two every week.

I like that. I'd even go 1 step further and suggest Sidebottom become a primary mid and rotate mid/wing/HF with Broomhead and Freeman or Karnezis.

Reid makes our backline 5% better but makes our forwardline 50% better

Sidey to play the pivot and swan back to the midfield where he can use his legs to burn his opponents. Would even be happy if he pinched hit in the centre clearances but lined up on a wing or HFF but was used as an extra mid.
Cloke back to CHF.
Fas to look at a wing/high HFF pushing to the goal line.
Sounds good, agree Cloke needs to be able to use his tank and burn his opponents off like a couple of years back.
Could play both rucks and rest one out of the square. White could be used in many positions, maybe off a wing and float back to help in defence when required then he has the burst to spread on the way out.
We will get good goal spread with Sidey, Broomy, Varcoe, Fasolo, Elliott, Karnesis rotating through the half forward too, if we get Cloke up the ground a bit there should be plenty of options for the crumbs.

Sounds good, agree Cloke needs to be able to use his tank and burn his opponents off like a couple of years back.
Could play both rucks and rest one out of the square. White could be used in many positions, maybe off a wing and float back to help in defence when required then he has the burst to spread on the way out.
We will get good goal spread with Sidey, Broomy, Varcoe, Fasolo, Elliott, Karnesis rotating through the half forward too, if we get Cloke up the ground a bit there should be plenty of options for the crumbs.

I'd like to see our forward set up change.

Play four half forwards up the ground and two mobile athletic forwards out of the square. Cloke, brooms, fas, sidey as half forwards and elliott with White out of the square. I'd even maybe consider cloke and white as two chf's, and have Reid/ resting ruckman and elliott/ Karnezis deep in the goal square. Have more players and options out of the back half around the biggest part of the ground to try and run the ball and open up the forward 50m for some quick movement. Broomy and other speedy half forwards working back to collect the crumbs off hands

Yeah it's unfortunate. He's clearly a better defender but because of our list imbalance we can't afford for him to play in defence.

I'm not sure that being more established as a defender equates to him being "clearly better" as a KPD. Showed enough forward in 2013 to suggest he can also be a very good KPF if given the opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back