Food/Supplements Protein Powders

Remove this Banner Ad

Been rolling with my BN for a short while now, I initially bought a large amount of WPC for between meals and then some Miceller Casein for night time. I've stopped using the Casein because it's been stirring up my throat like crazy, coughing all the time with some uber phlegm action, made sleeping terrible. So now I just take the WPC instead and after 3 days everything cleared up a treat. Guess I'm somewhat lactose intolerant. I am aware that Casein is in milk but obviously the powder on it's own is just too intense for my body to handle
Point of this story is...if anyone out there wants about 1.5kg of the stuff (chocolate flavour) PM me and we should be able to sort something out, I don't want anything for it I just thought I may as well put it to use rather than chuck it out. One of the bags is about half-used and the other 1kg bag is still sealed and untouched.

Just wondering if anyone can subjectively or objectively recommend a supplement that would be half decent as a recovery or fat burning type drink. More aimed at a triathlete than lifting weights.
I've used recoverite (tastes like crap) and muscle milk (tastes awesome but quite a high fat content but meant to be half decent).
Has anyone used Muscle milk or the light variant?
I'm at sea with supplements as I've never really bothered, but with an increased training load and getting older the muscles probably need some help!
Cheers

I've just started taking Crossfire protein, recommended by a PT at the gym I go to who I regularly speak to about my routine etc, it's basically just to help with recovery and weight loss so I'll let you know how it goes after a couple of weeks.

I've lost 30kgs in just under 3 months without taking any supplements so am hoping I will see some good results now that I have started taking Crossfire.

After reading this thread bought a couple of 2.5kg bags from Bulk Nutriants - good value. Powder appears pretty good quality but I'd avoid the coffee flavour - I mean it's drinkable but don't think I'll go with that flavour again, very synthetic tasting.

Hopefully the Strawberry is more to my taste.
Very generous EVO - I got some samples before I ordered (they sent me about 8 on the house:thumbsu:) - I swallowed about half a mouthful, filed the rest and gave a mate the other mocha/coffee sachets. Choc and vanilla pretty good tho.

Poster wondering about choc-mint wont be disappoint either.

What protein powder you want to use?
Instead of protein powder you should try to take natural protein foods to get better results of protein diet for the muscles building.
The more effective protein foods are milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs, fish, green vegetables, and green beans.

I'm not too sure Bulk Nutrients is actually great value...a 5kg bag of pure WPI is $150
You can get a 5kg bag of Optimum Nutrition 100% for cheaper, and it is a far higher quality product

I'm not too sure Bulk Nutrients is actually great value...a 5kg bag of pure WPI is $150
You can get a 5kg bag of Optimum Nutrition 100% for cheaper, and it is a far higher quality product

Given it is a wpi/wpc blend, on what basis its it is a far higher quality product?

Sounds like "bro-science" to me. .....

The thing about most "blends" is they don't actually give the ratio/weight of the WPC vs WPI.

So you could have 90% WPC 10% WPI and you wouldn't know.

Plus there is no reason to need a blend of both types. Go WPC in most circumstances, go WPI if you are lactose intolerant or on a very low carb diet.

Its total protein for the day that matters, you don't need to worry about protein ingestion speed.

That is a marketing exercise to make you buy a more expensive product.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its total protein for the day that matters, you don't need to worry about protein ingestion speed.

That is a marketing exercise to make you buy a more expensive product.

I'm no expert, but have been told/read that there are benefits of taking casein at night, because you're usually going 7-9 hours without a meal, so a slower realeasing protein is good for the muscles.

Are you saying there's no benefit? I'd find that a bit of a shock because some of the sources I've read from were reputable (ie sports science journals and not just info from a website or forum).

I'm no expert, but have been told/read that there are benefits of taking casein at night, because you're usually going 7-9 hours without a meal, so a slower realeasing protein is good for the muscles.

Are you saying there's no benefit? I'd find that a bit of a shock because some of the sources I've read from were reputable (ie sports science journals and not just info from a website or forum).

Reputable people most likely paid by those companies selling it. It won't hurt, it probably will be beneficial, but you're an amateur, so there is no need.

Protein powders are just like a replacement of your meal. It really helps in most cases by providing the essential proteins you need and help build the muscle or lose weight in some cases. I've even used some protein biscuits, pan cakes powder etc. It can be taken in with juice/milk/water as per your desire ;)

Yeah BN all the way now for me.
I ordered a few kgs of No Bull supps and wasn't all that happy with them compared to BN.
Seems like quality protein but the flavors seem too synthetic.
Ordered choc-mint & vanilla, vanilla is ok, doesn't seem to mix too well and clumps & the choc-mint is certainly flavored with eucalyptus.
You can smell it as soon as the pack is opened - it tastes ok, if you like eucy lollies, but it ain't mint.

Wondering if anyone else has tried their other flavors?

Eat healthy and increase your protein sources, dairy,
whey protein and eggs are good for teens on low budget, but if you can afford it.
It steaks and learn cuts of poultry like chicken and turkey breast,
also eat plenty of fish oil, nuts, and green vegetables...

Yeah BN all the way now for me.
I ordered a few kgs of No Bull supps and wasn't all that happy with them compared to BN.
Seems like quality protein but the flavors seem too synthetic.
Ordered choc-mint & vanilla, vanilla is ok, doesn't seem to mix too well and clumps & the choc-mint is certainly flavored with eucalyptus.
You can smell it as soon as the pack is opened - it tastes ok, if you like eucy lollies, but it ain't mint.

Wondering if anyone else has tried their other flavors?

I've tried all the BN flavours.

Banana is the best - tastes kind of like banana paddlepop.
Strawberry is my 2nd favourite - tastes like nesquick.

Vanilla tastes alright, but boring compared to other flavours.

Choc isnt too bad, but i'm not much of a chocolate fan - slightly too cocoey for me, but that's just my personal preference of not liking chocolate not their flavouring i dont think.

Choc-mint i didn't really like. Too mentholey.

Can't go wrong with banana/strawberry though. Also next time you order ask for 2 samples of other flavours you haven't had yet, they'll chuck them in free (should be able to put it in the notes).

The Strawberry from BN is pretty good. Have to drink it with milk though.

BTW, I was reading about Yohimbe this arvo and thinking that sounds pretty good, might give me a kick along when fasting after they banned DMAA. Turns out is banned in Australia as well.

WTF is wrong with this country, it's more restrictive than the old Eastern block.

Only protein powder worth buying is ON Gold Standard. Honestly, it is such a superior protein to anything else on the market. Expensive stuff, no doubt too it's effectiveness in weight training with particular respect to recovery. If you have some spare change, make the change.

Only protein powder worth buying is ON Gold Standard. Honestly, it is such a superior protein to anything else on the market. Expensive stuff, no doubt too it's effectiveness in weight training with particular respect to recovery. If you have some spare change, make the change.

You must work for them. That's not even close to being accurate. That stuff is alright, it will do the job, but it is definitely not the only PP worth buying. In fact, it is not even close to the best protein powder on the market.

All that really matters in your PP is the total amount of protein (and how fast it absorbs, but that is a bit meh in my opinion, and is only dependent on the type of protein powder <e.g. whey, calcium casienate>, and not the brand of protein powder). The rest if pretty much broscience. I checked out On Gold Standard whey protein powder, it is about 79% protein. Which is ok, but not amazing. If you really want to get more protein per serving size, then you should check out No Bull Sups. Their powder whey powder (isolate) is around 93% protein. I Their concentrate is cheaper and more comparable to on gold standard, but even the concentrate has better protein to non-essential crap ratio (81%).

Their calcium casienate protein powder is a lot better than On Gold, take a look for yourself. But don't take my word for it, there are other supp companies out there who also make good stuff. Just don't get sucked in to the broscience claims, and you'll be right.

http://nobullsupplements.com.au/products/Calcium_Caseinate_1kg-45-15.html

Spot on Taz!
I'll stick with my BN WPI, if anyone wants to pay the same price for half as much just for company claims & fancy packaging like the ON stuff, good luck to them.

Some people just like sparkly things....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back