PS Vita

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Its likely that Sony will announce their new handheld on the 27th of January (local time)....

but details which may or may not be true have been leaking out for the last several months

1) according to the Nikkei, the handheld in Japan will have 3G connectivity like the Kindle, except it will be used for gaming and related services... not a mobile phone. Furthermore, it will have an OLED touch screen.

2) according to leaked photos of a development kit, the PSP2 will have dual analog controls as well as a touchpad (like a laptop's) on the back of the device. Also, microphone and front and back cameras.

3) rumours are that it will be a beast..... anywhere from half the power of a PS3 and above.

Pricing strategy will be the most interesting..... the 3DS is coming out at around the same price as the original PSP launch.

if the PSP2 is alot more expensive than that.... the handheld will probably be dead on arrival with the APPLE IOS products already undercutting and eating into the incumbents' marketshare.

However Sony seems to be throwing the kitchen sink at the handheld..

OLEDs are fricking expensive...

are they going to continue their obsolete loss leader strategy again?

Re: The Sony PSP2 thread

Yeah reports are that it's as powerful as a 360 (so not quite as powerful as a PS3) and it was overheating like crazy to the point where it would self implode like a 360. Rumours were it was to come out last year but the catching on fire like a 360 pushed it to this year.

Apparently an Uncharted spin off is coming out for it as well, along with a huge library of games to come at launch; unlike the 360s games this year.

I'm not sure what to think of the touchpad on the back idea. On one hand if implemented properly it could be crazy good. On the other I'd be perfectly happy with a traditional Dualshock set out. If the touchpad flops I can see a Sixaxis sort of deal coming out of it. Tech having to be implemented in future models for a minority of people/games which in turn drives up the price of the product.

Battery life is a biggie.

Cameras, I see no real use for. My phone has a camera.....

3G connectivity is interesting... Would you need to pay for downloads (of demoes, DLC etc). Would it be unlimited (which I believe Kindle is).

I like the layout of the original PSP I hope they don't change it too much. With the amount of Power that machine they described has the battery life won't be much longer than maybe an hour. Won't buy the 1st version.

Anyone think this will be the PS Phone and a new PSP combined?

No, PS Phone is getting announced next month at the mobile world convention.
Do you reckon it will be available on any plans here?

Also source, you're kerrby

Anyone think this will be the PS Phone and a new PSP combined?
PSPhone will just be the regular PSP. Would be a ridiculous price if they combined it into the new PSP2. At least this way Sony can try both markets at a competitive enough price to make either work.

No, PS Phone is getting announced next month at the mobile world convention.

and apparently it will have gaming buttons...

furthermore there are rumours that the PSP2 will not be a sliding design...

so an educated guess would be...

PSPhone = PSPgo with touch screen

PSP2 = sleeker version of traditional PSP models.

perhaps they need a greater surface area for a bigger battery

sounds sexy. I'm almost expecting game gear like battery life though...

Sony's PlayStation Meeting will be 3pm Tokyo time, Jan 27th which is 5pm AEST

Which they are expected to show the PSP successor - this is exciting news to see were they are heading with the PS brand, it looks like they are going to go all out on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

php8Xbvgheeting.jpg

Pretty big.

There's about 800 Sony staff there, so it's a pretty big event. Apparently it's going to be going for 90 - 120 minutes in total.

They've been talking about a phone for the last 10 minutes, they might be announcing the PS Phone now?
They just announced the PS Store for Android phones, you can download PS1 on your Android phone now.

Nope. Anyway new PSP announced called "New Generation Portable" :D :D :D. Wii even has a better name that than.

Oops, that's just a codename. "960x544 resolution, 3g, sixaxis, touch panel" Oh wow.

sony-tokyo-event-1356.jpg

5" OLED display with four times the resolution of PSP.
Front and Rear trackpads.
Front and back camera.

HOLY **** THIS IS GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE. $500?

"Uses flash cards for games -- it looks like an SD card, but there's a curve to it that might suggest it's proprietary."

Okay Shuhei Yoshida just said the official name is Next Gen Portable. The **** kind of a name is that?

"Graphics are not far off PS3"

Killzone on NGP
sony-tokyo-event-1394.jpg

Uncharted:
sony-tokyo-event-1399.jpg

Augmented Reality Fighting game:
sony-tokyo-event-1395.jpg

Uncharted graphics are amazing:
sony-tokyo-event-1414.jpg

XMB GONE

sony-tokyo-event-1430.jpg

I don't like that layout at all.

Back trackpad. You can just feel the awkwardness already.

sony-tokyo-event-1436.jpg

360 camera movement around you ingame or something.
sony-tokyo-event-1478.jpg

"You can play downloadable PSP titles on the NGP "

Capcom just said a downloadble Monster Hunter game is in development

With Monster Hunter Portable 3rd: "He's pointing out that the analog sticks tilt further, and you can use dual-analog camera controls for Monster Hunter. "

MGS4 running on NGP :O. Trophies confirmed?
sony-tokyo-event-1550.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1548.jpg

NGP:
H6eje.png

franchises shown: Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Daze, Killzone, Reality Fighters, Smart As, Broken, LBP, Little Deviants, WipEout, Resistance, and Uncharted (!)

Holy s**t are these spin offs because if there ports? :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back