PublicTransport in Melbourne for tertiary students.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Need some info on student concession for transport to uni or college
for a tertiary student in Melbourne.

My son has to travel a fair distance to his school ,he has to go on public transport . But he cannot get a concession for transport on tram or bus, because the school is rated as a NO concession school, on the Victorian transport site , which I got to on computer through centrelink site.

How does that work? He has centrelink , comes from Perth , has a small part time job.

But this seems incredible that he can't get a concession travel card.

Don't know much more than that, but if anyone can give me some info , I'd be grateful

Thanks .

My son has to travel a fair distance to his school ,he has to go on public transport . But he cannot get a concession for transport on tram or bus, because the school is rated as a NO concession school, on the Victorian transport site , which I got to on computer through centrelink site.

How does that work? He has centrelink , comes from Perth , has a small part time job.

Don't know much more than that, but if anyone can give me some info , I'd be grateful

Thanks .
Is he a full-time uni student? When I was at uni (a few years ago now), only full-time students were eligible for the concession rate. Maybe someone else could provide more recent info.

I got one with Monash ok. Is it a private school?

Its the Australian Institute of Music in the City, but it apparently doesn't fit the bill for concessions, yes he will be a full time student , he is going to centre link I suppose he'll see what happens with them, but he said it costs about 12 to 24 dollars a day, its a bit rough, but if he has to he will just have to get by.

Just strange, its a legit course, but maybe you need to be studying engineering or law or medicine, the rest may not count. I'm not being a smart alec there it just seems unfair.

Thanks folks for your input.

Its the Australian Institute of Music in the City, but it apparently doesn't fit the bill for concessions, yes he will be a full time student , he is going to centre link I suppose he'll see what happens with them, but he said it costs about 12 to 24 dollars a day, its a bit rough, but if he has to he will just have to get by.

Just strange, its a legit course, but maybe you need to be studying engineering or law or medicine, the rest may not count. I'm not being a smart alec there it just seems unfair.

Thanks folks for your input.

Have a look if he's eligable for a low income health care card from centrelink. Last year you were able to use this as a concession card on public transport.

This :thumbsu:

But it does seem odd. Get him to ask the admin at uni about it.

Thanks folks , he has seemed to have sorted it by visiting centrelink and the Uni Admin.

He can apparently get a concession, thank you all again for the advice , it was passed on.

Although we have some good stoushs' on BF ,when you need help, you get it. Beauty.

If he's telling you that metropolitan public transport is costing him between 12 and 24 dollars a day - he's lying to you. He would have to have a myki card to use the public transport system, and the max rate for metro travel is $7.52 per day for unlimited travel anywhere in the metro area - so any where from the city to the outer suburbs.

Unless he is using v-line services and coming from country areas - his pricing sounds completely wrong.

If he's telling you that metropolitan public transport is costing him between 12 and 24 dollars a day - he's lying to you. He would have to have a myki card to use the public transport system, and the max rate for metro travel is $7.52 per day for unlimited travel anywhere in the metro area - so any where from the city to the outer suburbs.

Unless he is using v-line services and coming from country areas - his pricing sounds completely wrong.[/QUOTE

He sorted it out mate that week, he just didn't know about concessions , found out pretty quick and plenty on here told me how he should do it.
He's come fro WA, I'm a Vic , I live here WA now, all my kids have pissed off to Melbourne. Might have to follow back one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks .
Surely he could get away with a concession myki card.

My owner does with her uni. It's just a standard myki card.

Hope your boy was able to get his way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back