Universal Love Puopolo man love thread

Remove this Banner Ad

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apologies if there is one of these threads already.

Nothing I love seeing more then a player, with a limited skill set, (or 160 cm tall) who has made it at a club by showing nothing else but pure guts, work ethic and determination. Every club has one or two of these. Campbell Brown was one of these players. It's clear that we have another one in Pup.

It warms my brown and gold heart every time I see this pint sized maniac chase and harass blokes and put in 2nd, 3rd, 4+ efforts. How often this season have you seen an opposition team move the ball from defense, with Puopolo at full tilt chasing every single player involved in the possession, starting in the forward pocket and ending up on the wing somewhere totally spent. The bloke has earned his spot, and whilst knowing his limitations he has decided that no bloke is going to take his spot from him.

Aside from this, he is getting some midfield time and is racking up some decent numbers and getting involved in the play, whilst banging through the odd goal.

Clarko must fair-dinkum love this bloke.

I always loved his work
I've always been a fan of the pure footballer, rather then the athlete

He is highly underrated around the league, but, if Melbourne had 22 of him, they'd be a lot better

Pure guts, good skillset, lots of heart

You won't see another player run 100m and attempt a tackle on 3 different players, not even rioli

He's now at the point where he's expanding on his game and looks to be a clearance machine. Can play FWD/MID/DEF and is now the ultimate small utility. Gives 100% every time. Love it. How many teams have one of these blokes?

Ratten obviously saw something in him. Never thought I'd see Poppa in the middle as often a he has been. Interestingly he's now had his bloody good matches against Geelong and Sydney.

We know how poor he was last September, right now he is maniacal in his desire to set that straight. Needed to add a couple of strings to his bow and has done that.

Onya Poppa, having him and Osbourne in the one side adds a lot.

pl_playlist_f.jpg

Here he comes to save the day!!*

*Not an actual photo of Puopolo.

Loving his tenacity in at the centre bounces, his kicking and decision making still needs some work and whether he is ever going to be able to get it to a high level is questionable but I actually think that works in his favour. He knows that he needs to chase, tackle, sheppard and have a relentless attack on the ball if he is going to keep his position in the side.

I had big question marks over him at the start of the year but has been outstanding to date, hope he continues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, I thought he would be struggling to make our best 22 at the start of the season. What can you say? Now he would be one of the first Clarko would want.

Moving Pop to the middle was a stroke of brilliance, and the coach, or Rats should be very proud.

On a side note, are Carlton starting to think they made a bad move replacing Rats with Mouldhouse?

Actually, I thought he would be struggling to make our best 22 at the start of the season. What can you say? Now he would be one of the first Clarko would want.

Moving Pop to the middle was a stroke of brilliance, and the coach, or Rats should be very proud.

On a side note, are Carlton starting to think they made a bad move replacing Rats with Mouldhouse?
Ratten was a miracle worker at the blues

He is the sort of player you love having in your side. The boys must love seeing him chase the ball like a maniac. 2nd, 3rd, 4th efforts - simply inspirational to watch.

Nothing I love seeing more then a player, with a limited skill set, (or 160 cm tall) who has made it at a club by showing nothing else but pure guts, work ethic and determination.

Must say I prefer seeing quality gun rip teams apart. Still remember Jars play in the guts against the Saints at Waverley one day. Was tagged by Brett Bowey and Danny Craven. Ended up with 32 kicks and 3 handballs.

;)

Great post though. Poppy has taken a big step forward this year.

Being a Norwood boy, I was rapt when we picked him up. :thumbsu:

Really great to see him take his game to a new level this year. He's 5th at the club in handballs, right behind Mitchell, Lewis, Birchall and Gibson with Burgoyne trailing just behind him. Some good company right there! But more importantly, 2nd at the club in tackles just behind Bruest and again ahead of Burgoyne. He's a tackling machine. :thumbsu:

I'll never forget that (arguably) game saving tackle he made against Gold Coast back in 2011 when we rested all those players before the finals. Gold Coast had all the run in the last and were setting up another attack from the wing when Puopolo just seemed to come out of nowhere full of steam and laid a perfect tackle catching the GC player holding the ball, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!! That and the important goal he kicked saved the match I reckon, we only got up by 9.

Definitely stepped his game up from last year, wasn't sure whether he'd warrant a place in the 22 with Hill and Anderson stepping up, but since being given a run in the midfield he's absolutely been worth selection.

Has been one of my faves since he started.
I love mad skills as well, but there is just something about a player who just throws everything he has at the game. His 2nd, 3rd and fourth efforts, he just doesn't give up. Doesn't hang his head either.
For me that has just as much a place in a good side as great clinical skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back