Universal Love Purple Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

I vaguely remember that Cadbury tried this, and won initially, but the decision was overturned appeal.
Yes they did try to trade mark the colour purple.. or more specifically a shade of purple.. absurd decision that thankfully was overturned..

I have no problem with the concept, but I do have a problem with the name Purple Bombers. Until I read the post about Spirit Day, I didn't associate purple with the gay community, but purple in the AFL is clearly associated with FFC. FFC has always had the Purple Haze game, which is about the children's charity the Starlight Foundation. I think the name is poorly thought through.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/weird/spot-the-purple-difference/story-e6frev20-1111116041510

I have no problem with the concept, but I do have a problem with the name Purple Bombers. Until I read the post about Spirit Day, I didn't associate purple with the gay community, but purple in the AFL is clearly associated with FFC. FFC has always had the Purple Haze game, which is about the children's charity the Starlight Foundation. I think the name is poorly thought through.

the Melbourne Storm don't have a problem with it

#purplepride

I'm glad to see the club get back on the front foot about social causes/unity/respect.. (even if some of it is groan worthy)

I want to see EFC again be recognised as the frontrunner on social issues and inclusion.. like we started in the Sheedy years that I feel has dropped off a bit.

Congrats Purple Bombers and hopefully more clubs will follow!

I know this is the EFC section so just ignore the fact that Collingwood's Pink Magpies have been around since the early 2000's.
http://membership.collingwoodfc.com.au/pink-magpies-supporter-group.html

This is a great initiative...in all but name.

I agree with redned (his first post anyway). In the AFL purple is synonomous with Fremantle. I saw the thread title and thought it would be about Dean Solomon, Kepler Bradley, Gumby etc.

What about the Rainbow Bombers?

I hate to break it to you but purple was the colour of the gay community long before it was the colour of Freo.

Good on BJ for having the balls to support this publicly. Its pretty crap that there are no "out" players yet.

ummm...

Couldn't be prouder to be associated with a club that is not only accepting, but actively showing their support on this issue.

I personally know some LGBTI people that are ecstatic with the news, and they're not even Bombers supporters.
Who knows, now they might even 'jump the fence', so to speak :)

I'd like to think Essendon is again at the forefront of social issues, continuing on from our fantastic history of embracing the indigenous community.

This is a really positive step for the club a midst the negativity of the ongoing saga.

Well done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on BJ for having the balls to support this publicly. Its pretty crap that there are no "out" players yet.

With how pathetic the media in this town is, can you blame anyone for not wanting to out themselves?

They would immediately be hounded into regretting ever making a stand.

The superficial and sensationalist media are completely incapable of dealing with an issue like this with any sort of sensitivity, grace or class.

Those farking morons - there is NO MEMBERSHIP specific for LGBTI people!!! EFC have officially recognised and endorsed the Purple Bombers SUPPORTERS GROUP. The Age totally screwed up their article - what a surprise. And then the dills on the MB ate it all up and comment without knowing the actual story. I'm amazed at the stupidity of some people. On second thoughts, no I'm not.

Here's The Age article: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essend...ti-afl-fans-20140731-zyuip.html#ixzz396v6d1KN

Here's the EFC story: http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-07-31/essendon-supports-launch-of-purple-bombers

Pick the differences.....:rolleyes:

I'm glad to see the club get back on the front foot about social causes/unity/respect.. (even if some of it is groan worthy)

I want to see EFC again be recognised as the frontrunner on social issues and inclusion.. like we started in the Sheedy years that I feel has dropped off a bit.

Congrats Purple Bombers and hopefully more clubs will follow!
I'd love to see more of it too.

Those farking morons - there is NO MEMBERSHIP specific for LGBTI people!!! EFC have officially recognised and endorsed the Purple Bombers SUPPORTERS GROUP. The Age totally screwed up their article - what a surprise. And then the dills on the MB ate it all up and comment without knowing the actual story. I'm amazed at the stupidity of some people. On second thoughts, no I'm not.

Here's The Age article: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essend...ti-afl-fans-20140731-zyuip.html#ixzz396v6d1KN

Here's the EFC story: http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-07-31/essendon-supports-launch-of-purple-bombers

Pick the differences.....:rolleyes:

And still a lot of people take everything that journalists write about Essendon as gospel ...

The best thing about this is it flushes out the putrid homophobes, eg those Maguire campaigners on twitter - I'm assuming father and son. Get the * out.

what did peanut say?

Discussing RObbo's criticism of Barrett on SEN - Played the clip of Robbo ( may have been SChwarz or Allen ) saying that Purple sleeps with the light on. Purples response was ' at least I sleep straight in bed ' - The whole tone of this segment was locker room stuff - And just two days after Essendon launched their purple members club.

Seriously Robbo wrote an article and then the vultures attacked the article - WE could say the cartel are bully boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back